Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree...every other UBB forum I am on that has tried user ratings got rid of it fast. I do like the fact you can be “logged in” so name/pass stuff doesn’t have to be taken care of at the “Add Reply” stage. I do not like the fact that the board seems much slower overall. I also do not like the revised icons for the thread status...they used to be yellow (old) and red (new posts). Now they are white and yellow respectively, and not only does this contradict the old operation, it is also less functional from a visual standpoint.
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Yeah... I must agree... The whole ratings thing stinks. It's akin to homecoming Queen... all about popularity. I don't need flashbacks to high school... worst 4 years of my life. The new emotion icons are way too small to see what they're trying to express.. What? No more spell-check? My spelling sucks.. If the last word in my pervious sentence is nothing but funny symbols it is because we now have a "censorship" function.... The forum is much slower too... I hate to be so negative... I still do love these forums! :D Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

:o RATE MEMBER? :o I don't know if I like the idea of my member being rated. :eek: In all fairness you can't really see it well enough to rate it from where you are sitting right now. ;) Or can you? :p
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Rate this :mad: And the board was already slow as molasses - now it is approaching absolute zero - the temperature at which molecular activity ceases (and I am on a cable modem). Ratings....geeze...what a big brother idea :rolleyes: Cheers, Mark

Oh... I see... your number of posts is down at the bottom now. OK. BTW - I timed my post... it took [b]3 minutes and 17 seconds[/b] from the time I hit the "post" button to the time I was back on the topic page!!! (I'm on a 56k dial-up) [ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Scott from MA ]

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

originally posted by popmusic: [quote]quote: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Originally posted by Scott from MA: why did they get rid of your number of posts and replace it with a member #? ------------------------------------------------------------------------ It's still there -- it's on the bottom of each post. [/quote] in the time it took you to post, he figured it out. and in the time it took me to post this, i'm sure [i]you[/i] figured [i]that[/i] out. this is a ploy to keep flamers & trolls out, right kudyba? :D

Upgrade? Hardly! :mad: When I clicked on “Reply” it took over 30 seconds for the post form to show...and I am on cable! Also, it makes me wonder if these forums run on UBB, which is flat-file, or UBBThreads, which uses MySQL...it also makes me wonder what kind of box is running these forums...I hope it isn't a leftover 66MHz ’486! :D
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

My "Ratings... 1. New emoticons - not feeling it, but will work with it, may get used to it. Like Lee sez, they are too "blurry" 2. Ratings - not feeling it, not gonna work with it. 3. Member number - not feeling it. Better to post the "Joined on" date, and the "# of posts up front, everything else in background. 4. Speed of page load. NOT LOVING IT!!! But hey, it's been only a few hours. It'll get better, and better. The last time I checked, my bill from MUSICPLAYER was...what? ZERO. 5. Instant UBB code...][i]Definately FEELIN' it!![/i] - although editing with the instacode is pain... WE'll get used to it, accept the things we like, reject those we don't, and move on to the REALLY important stuff....[b]Blue wires or purple wires for better sound?[/b [ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: NYC Drew ]

Welcome to the new and improved MusicPlayer.com Forums! [b]We've upgraded the software for increased speed[/b], performance, and enhanced functionality. Check out these new features: *private messaging *member ratings *new emoticons *ability to link directly to the latest topic For a detailed explanation of each of these features and more, click on the FAQ. Well, at least the speed is not faster right now. :D

Ughh this is terribly slow...doesn't help when load averages are: 14.24, 17.05, 18.62 . I've read that with this latest version, it takes a day or so for things to speed up and get cached as this version take better advantage of caching commonly viewed pages or parts of pages, i.e., at the server memory, as opposed to making the server bog down the CPU's and hard disc. Let's cross our fingers. The additional traffic from the closed down magazine sites ain't helping much either. And I'm hoping the software makers wil get a spell check going but it sounds like it's at least a few months away... As for member ratings, well I'm sure if you bark loud enough, Craig will ask me to remove that feature which just simply comes packaged with this new version.

Robert - we're not bagging on you bro - your hard work is appreciated! Maybe it's just the software - but this IS very slow. Hopefully it will improve. But thanks for all the hard work you do behind the scenes to keep this place up and functional. BTW, what's up with the "one star" rating folks? The guy deserves better! Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com [ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: pokeefe777@msn.com ]

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by NYC Drew: [QB]Blue wires or purple wires for better sound?[/b] Purple wires. Warmer and more analog. Just like 2". ;) I don't know who rated you 5 stars, Drew, but you deserve 10. - Jeff (no rating, hopefully) uhhh, Jeff, check again! Hahahahahaha! :D Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com [/b][/quote]

What kind of hardware runs this here board anyhow? just curious. matt [quote]Originally posted by kudyba: [b]Ughh this is terribly slow...doesn't help when load averages are: 14.24, 17.05, 18.62 . I've read that with this latest version, it takes a day or so for things to speed up and get cached as this version take better advantage of caching commonly viewed pages or parts of pages, i.e., at the server memory, as opposed to making the server bog down the CPU's and hard disc. Let's cross our fingers. The additional traffic from the closed down magazine sites ain't helping much either. And I'm hoping the software makers wil get a spell check going but it sounds like it's at least a few months away... As for member ratings, well I'm sure if you bark loud enough, Craig will ask me to remove that feature which just simply comes packaged with this new version.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by whosmatt: [b]What kind of hardware runs this here board anyhow? just curious. [/b][/quote] Sun E250 with 2 processors. But the content management system/content delivery system (the articles), i.e., Vignette, is also on the same box...the database is on a E450 but this forum software doesn't use that... [quote]Any chance that cookies won't be required for posting? Or is this always going to be a requirement with the new software? [/quote] I've read that in the next version, due in mid Dec., it'll be optional...

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: It looks like there's some nice new features on the board (I like the ability to see the most recent post title on the main forum page), but... what's the deal with rating other users? I mean... Is there anything [i]good[/i] that can come out of this particular feature? I'd like to think that most folks that hang out here long enough have a pretty good idea of what other posters think of them. It seems like all this feature would do is give bigger egos to the folks who are rated well and make those who are not rated well discouraged or paranoid. Or it might prevent some folks from posting in the first place, as it comes across as a bit cliquish (only those who are highly rated will feel like sticking around)... I dunno... I'm not comfortable with playing favorites in a public forum. Anybody else feel this way?[/quote] I have a three-digit member number, lurk a lot and don't make many posts. So since everything here is based on numbers now, I guess I'm totally doomed. :D

"Don't say I didn't warn ya.."

www.mp3.com/adamkittle

[b]S - L - O - W ! ! ![/b] Also, I've gotta give a "thumbs down" to rating members. It makes me think of Nathaniel Hawthorne's " [url=http://www.gradesaver.com/ClassicNotes/Titles/thescarletletter/shortsumm.html]The Scarlet Letter[/url] ." :eek: So far, the only new feature I kind of like is the easy way to add "Instant Graemlins" and "Instant UBB Code." Otherwise, I'd just as soon go back. [b]Craig[/b] is always telling us how good [b]Go Back[/b] is. Maybe this is a good time to try it out... ;)

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived