Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tube pedals

irsoundguy06

Hey, I am trying to find a good tube pedal for my brother. He plays guitar at our church and they do not want him to use his amp. but he still wants a good tube sound. He has been looking everywhere and i was just wondering what are some good ideas that are not to expensive. he has a few effect pedals, but he really wants to have a tube sound. thanks so much

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tube pedals are pointless IMHO unless it's the real high voltage preamp deal like a Mesa V-Twin.

Most tube pedals run the tubes at way too low a voltage and use diodes or transistors to cascade the gain. The tube's just in there for marketing purposes. Also, a single 12AX7 tube (2 gain stages) doesn't generate nearly enough gain to be useful (hence the need for extra solidstate circuitry).

Get a good ss pedal instead.

If the church wants your brother to go ampless, he should use an amp simulator. Or what about using a smaller amp?

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Tube pedals are pointless IMHO unless it's the real high voltage preamp deal like a Mesa V-Twin.

Most tube pedals run the tubes at way too low a voltage and use diodes or transistors to cascade the gain. The tube's just in there for marketing purposes. Also, a single 12AX7 tube (2 gain stages) doesn't generate nearly enough gain to be useful (hence the need for extra solidstate circuitry).

Get a good ss pedal instead.

If the church wants your brother to go ampless, he should use an amp simulator. Or what about using a smaller amp?

Although I realise im slightly Hijacking the thread, would a pre-amp tube help fatten the tone on a Modeling SS amp?

Sorry for the hijack :)

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

[Although I realise im slightly Hijacking the thread, would a pre-amp tube help fatten the tone on a Modeling SS amp?

Don't know.

All I know is that when I tried to run my Zoom GFX (which had a modelling stage) through the Vox AD30VT I found that the sound was pretty dreadful.

Moral of the story? Modelling amps can be picky about what you run through them. Seems like one modeller into another is a no-no? :confused:

On the other hand, normal pedals like a Tube Screamer worked as well as always.

When I asked about running a tonebone through an SS amp once, the shop guy (who never ripped me off in 13 odd years) didn't shoot the idea down, so maybe it works. Or maybe not...

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

[Although I realise im slightly Hijacking the thread, would a pre-amp tube help fatten the tone on a Modeling SS amp?

Don't know.

All I know is that when I tried to run my Zoom GFX (which had a modelling stage) through the Vox AD30VT I found that the sound was pretty dreadful.

Moral of the story? Modelling amps can be picky about what you run through them. Seems like one modeller into another is a no-no? :confused:

On the other hand, normal pedals like a Tube Screamer worked as well as always.

When I asked about running a tonebone through an SS amp once, the shop guy (who never ripped me off in 13 odd years) didn't shoot the idea down, so maybe it works. Or maybe not...

Yeah ive had the same thing running a modeller through the modeller. It works pretty well with normal pedals and my Boss ME-50 (which doesnt do amp modelling). I thought as all the tube really does is make it sound a little bit juicier it may very well work.

Thanks for all of the ideas. just to reply back, we are building a new building at our church. we are going to be using in ear monitors and there will be no amps on stage. we are doing this because without the monitors and amps the stage noise will greatly be reduced. that will in turn make it easier to control the house sound. also, the space we will be in will seat between 150 to 200 people. so a halfstack marshall would blow people away and be overkill. my brother has a 2x 12 cab and it still is ridiculously loud. so we are going to run hiim direct into the P.A using a country man di box. thanks and keep em coming.

so would you guys suggest an amp simulator over an ctual tube pedal? i have heard some of those and they sound a little cheesy. but i have probably not used a good one. my brother and i are also making a custom pedal board. if anyone has advice on that and the best order for pedal signal path let me know. thanks alot

I would go the Pod route. The Pod XTLive is great for live performance, you can access all of your sounds easily. I don't think anything other than an amp simulator will do the job as well. The audience might not care, but any musician is concerned with his tone, and a Pod should be able to get plenty of good tones.

For what it's worth, since you did ask, Ibanez made a tube pedal called the Tube King which is great. I put an N.O.S. tube in my Tube King and it Rocks!! They no longer make it, but a friend of mine heard mine and was so impressed that he found one on ebay for around $100.00.

Maxon is making their own version of it called the Real Tube ROD880 that I suspect is even better as they make the Ibanez products and seem to upgrade them a bit, but it is more expensive.

With all due respect to Gabe, it is not just "hype", I have compared this pedal to many solid state pedals and it is far superior IMHO. It is not the same as having a great amp in saturated overdrive, but as far as pedals go, it is great. You may want to find one Trucks.

durwood

knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss

If you're looking for a stand alone unit that can be plugged directly into a PA try the H&K Tubeman. It has three footswitchable channels that produce tones that range from squeaky clean to insanely distorted. It can also be used to great effect as a direct recording device. The only drawback is it works poorly when used in front of a guitar amplifier.

• 2 weeks later...

My fav pedal is the Ibanez tube king that i bought on e-bay for $100,

There's no such thing as a bad sound with it--(it has a 3-knob EQ w/ a master and a gain)--it's designed after the BK Butler that was the forerunner to all killer tube preamps--as far as i know i'm still using the stock 12AX7, am looking for a Russ or a Czech replacement.

try it--it retains resale value and it sounds great.

gator

Archived