Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Best music cities

bluenote420

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you first name is "Ally Mc", right? ;)

Come to Nashville. You have to take in a show at the Bluebird, the Ryman Auditorium, an Opry Show and the Monday night, Timejumpers (Gen-u-ine 40's, Western Swing) performance at The Station Inn. ;):thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Don't wait 'till next summer. Now is the time to be in NYC...

Some up coming shows in the next 4-6 weeks...

Jeff Beck

Peter Frampton

Robin Trower

Sonny Landreth

Eric Clapton

Rodger Waters

The Rolling Stones

The Mahavishnu Project

The Who

Frank Marino & Mahoganny Rush

Mountain w/ Leslie West (in Nov)

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Nashville is definately at the top but you know the old saying the grass is always greener..

I visited Beale street and 6th street in Austin this summer. I was a little let down by Beale Street.

6th Street in Austin is a happening joint if you like Tex-Mex Blues.

Boston has generated a lot of great rock and pop acts, has a terrific indie/folk scene, and is a haven for jazz artists who shoot a couple hours up I-95 from NYC to play the great venues we have here. Plus the Boston Symphony is world class, and the "Celebrity Series" brings great acts to town. And if you need your fix of cannon fire, there's the 4th of July.

Well if you make it to Seattle next summer, the Bumbershoot festival that happens every Labor Day weekend is really cool. Tons and tons of bands in all kinds of styles, and every year I can remember of the past 10 that I've been in the area, the Labor Day weather has been paradise perfect. It sure was this year.

Maybe Caprae will come on here and tell us about what's goin on in Athens, Ga. these days.

Haven't been there, but if I remember correctly that's a college town that's supposed to have a disproportionately big and thriving music scene.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Manchester (England) but maybe thats a bit far????

But by the sounds of it better than Detroit!!!! Dont know if it can compete with nashville or NYC both I would love to visit one daye esp Nashville.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by guitarzan:

sorry, i have nothing to offer.

well i guess we do have our eastcoast thing (Irish and Scottish influence).

thats cool.

Zan you always offer something :D

So is that still a big influence in parts of Canada, i would have thought it would have made way for more "modern music"

I like a bit of folk :D

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Auston, Nashville have to be up there.

Any tourist destination will have music.

I'm not a fan of wither NYC or LA for the working musician, because both are set up to take advantage of him... there are just too many guys trying to make it there, and too many of them are whores... cheap wholes that give it away rather than charge for it. (Like high school girls in some neighborhoods, putting the hookers out of business.) Of course the major shows in either of these cities are wonderful, you will see a great variety of major talent... but that is not getting you any work.

If you just want to see music rather than play it, any major population center should work... don't neglect Vegas or Reno or Tahoe.

When I travel it is not my goal to see major artists. Why go to see Neil Young when I am on vacation, when I can see him when he plays here, and there will be no substantive difference in the shows? I want to see the great loacl unknown/little known acts that rock and don't get heard.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

ok, nashville appears to be the winner, lol. I think new York might be a bit far for now atr least( england definitely is!lol) as I live in the midwest. I was just to clarify Bill@Welcomehomestudios looking more for a place to play/ see local acts like you said, basically a place with a large and thriving musician population. Thanks for the suggestions

Originally posted by Billster:

Boston has generated a lot of great rock and pop acts, has a terrific indie/folk scene, and is a haven for jazz artists who shoot a couple hours up I-95 from NYC to play the great venues we have here. Plus the Boston Symphony is world class, and the "Celebrity Series" brings great acts to town. And if you need your fix of cannon fire, there's the 4th of July.

GAWD I miss the Pops at the Hah-buh on the 4th...

Fireworks here pretty much suck ass...

Truth be told, I still have to make a trek to Memphis. Closest I've been is driving a truck full of sound equipment through from Nashville to Austin, TX. And even though I've worked in Austin, I didn't have the time to take advantage of the nightlife. :( Now that's a place I'd love to go for music. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived