Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jjumbo frets?

superdave

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< It is also said to make for a bit slower neck [but I don't believe it!]>>

It think fret size is a fairly personal choice. For my hands, the jumbos do make me fumble around a bit more than with medium or thin frets. I grew up playing a Strat with very thin frets, so I guess that's what's most comfortable. I think it's like fingerboard width, or radius, or scale; play enough guitars & eventually you find that certain dimension that accommodates your hand better than the others.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

<< It is also said to make for a bit slower neck [but I don't believe it!]>>

It think fret size is a fairly personal choice. For my hands, the jumbos do make me fumble around a bit more than with medium or thin frets. I grew up playing a Strat with very thin frets, so I guess that's what's most comfortable. I think it's like fingerboard width, or radius, or scale; play enough guitars & eventually you find that certain dimension that accommodates your hand better than the others.

Scott Fraser

True that.

I do like the jumbos, but the medium jumbos are ok as well.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

My Ibanez electrics use jumbo frets. Supposedly, it's what most 'shredders' like, though I don't play that way most of the time... yet. :D I think it does contribute a little to the sparkly tones I can get out of them, even with the high output pickups.

They are easier to get a handle of if you like low action, but seem to buzz slightly more if your playing style isn't suited to that, esp. if you dig in really hard on the strings.

Archived