Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Complicated Bridges

Kramer Ferrington III.

My new bass is an EB0 copy and it has this sort of bridge

http://www.gibsonbass.com/graphics/1979-THUNDERBIRD-9.jpg

which has the annoying habit of shedding parts everywhere whenever I change strings. The bridge come off and the saddles wind up all over the floor.

And I have a Dano copy where the bridge doesn't level out until you tighten the strings...

Why the heck do they make these stupid bridges? I thought the small fiddly parts would mean added (and pointless) string vibration dispersion?

Why aren't all bridges made by Badass and stay still while you change the strings? (Can I still type "Badass"? ;););) )

I'm sure there's some obscure reason why Gibson invented such fiddly things? But why?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are some really freakin terrible bridges out there. The adjustable spacing bridge on my white falcon has never been a favorite of mine. Changing strings is a royal pain in the ass. It stays in tune nicely, I don't have complaints about that, but it is a struggle to work on and keep the spacing rollers in place. One string at a time is my motto.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Bbach1:

There are some really freakin terrible bridges out there... Changing strings is a royal pain in the ass.

It's strange how many designs are not exactly helpful when you need to change strings, and yet, it's something that is not just going to happen, it's going to happen a LOT during a guitar's lifetime.

:P

Archived