Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Jury duty update

superdave

The jury I was on ended up in a mistrial. The plaintiff, who had been in a car wreck, had waited five years for this to come to trial and one guy screwed up the whole thing. The plaintiff did not have a strong case plus he represented himself poorly. Poor documentation of expenses. Nevertheless he was due compensation for some of his out of pocket expenses. The lone holdout wanted to give him $25,000 bucks. The rest of us said $4,000 bucks because he did not prove he had lost everything he initially claimed to have lost. It's sad because now he has to start over again and hope it doesn't take five years to come back to court.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Billster:

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

What was the guy's reasoning behind the higher award?

I'll bet it was a policy limit on the guy's insurance, and the thought was that the insurance company (not the individual) was going to pay, so eff the company.
I suspect that as well. I once sat on a jury in a similar situation and we had one of those guys too. He was willing to give the plaintiffs the farm just because he thought that only "the big evil corporation" would get hurt. Fortunately, we were able to come to a middle ground and arrived at a decision. It was still more than I would have been willing to give but was not obnoxiously excessive. In my situation, we were talking like $3 mil vs. $40K. We ended up at around $100K.

Archived