Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone Junior Head power on no sound

Guitarhead

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a Valve Junior combo (now in a different case - 2x10) for over a year. I've had a VJ head for several months (got one right after they become available).

I've never had any problem with either of them. I play through them (well, I _did_). And my son uses the 2x10 combo a good bit.

I've never had any problems with either one. I did replace the SovTek pre-amp tube in the combo with a GT 12AX7M.

I expect it to last a long time.

Since you just got this, I'd just return it and get another one since yours is defective.

Born on the Bayou

Bought it on the internet and there were no returns accepted for this item unfortunately. I am thinking maybe it is something to do with one of the transformers but it is hard to find one that matches up. The tubes are not getting any power sincwe they don't even light up. Oh well I probably just got a lemon.

I always stop and think twice when I see "no returns".

Well...you couldn't have paid for it all that much used...as they are only $100 new.

I have two. :cool:

One of them got a lot of playing time over the last few months...and no issues.

If you have the know-how...and the tools...

...there's not much to the amp. You can open it up and easily check the leads coming out of the tranny to see if they are sending juice.

These are current production items...so getting a replacement part from Epiphone should not be a big deal.

Also...I have noticed that on one of the two amps I got...some of the wires w/clips were not well connected to the PCB...one was even ready to snap the very tiny solder joint.

So...maybe the amp got a bad bounce and something just let loose...???

Heck...take it to an electronics shop and have 'em check it out for you.

Even if you drop $25-$50 bucks...you will be happy once you hear how sweet it sounds!

Oh...there are also fuses inside that you should check.

And...there's 260V coming out of two leads from the tranny that feeds the tubes...don't get your ass zapped! :eek:

Also...maybe the the tube sockets got a lot of action from too much tube swapping...?...and they have a busted solder joint...???

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived