Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

setting an amp for good sound

superdave

I asked this question before but I don't think I did it correctly. I have a Fender Frontman amp 15 watts (don't laugh it came with the guitar). I need to know how to set it correctly. If someone would run this by me again I would appreciate it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing you want to do is crank the gain to max. If it doesn't have gain, you'll need to go out and find a Uber Metal distortion pedal and crank everything to 10. :thu:

Just kidding!

Listen to Warthog, how it should sound is up to you. Experimenting with your amps settings is going to be extreamly benificial, and the knowledge you 'gain' can be applied to all your future amps. Enjoy exploring tone man!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by superdave:

Ha ha

Laugh if you want, but that's exactly how it's done. Tone is a subjective thing, and every amp is going to sound different with the same settings, so there is no "right" way to dial in any amplifier.
Yes, I was being funny but also 100% serious. That's how I dial mine in...

Stand back, Warthog. Let me take a stab at this.

The best advice I have ever heard, and I now even do this on my car stereo, is to turn all of the tone knobs as far counterclockwise as you can. Then strum and turn up the bass until it sounds good, next keep strumming and turn up the mids, then - and only then - start turning up the treble. You'll find you probably use a lot less treble and everthing will sound much better.

Heard this from Marc Seal who I would consider a very talented guitarist. Another forumite tried it and said it worked like a charm.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Frank Zappa told Steve Vai "your tone is in your head". It's about what you hear and how you hear it. If you want direction, put on a record with a guirtar sound you like and listen, really listen to the sound of the guitar. Then turn the knobs on your amp till it starts to sound like that.

A couple of pointers; the higher the gain knob goes, the more distorted you sound is likely to be, especially if the master volume is set at a lower setting than the gain.

Most distorted guitar sounds are not as distorted as you think they are at first, and if you listen closely, you'll be able to tell that.

Setting both gain and master full up will end up costing you speakers.

Rotate the bass, middle and tone controls till they sound good to you, and don't be afraid to set them to extremes, even at opposites to each other. kinds of to see what happens.

Half the fun of playing is finding your own tone. Have fun looking.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by caprae:

Stand back, Warthog. Let me take a stab at this.

The best advice I have ever heard, and I now even do this on my car stereo, is to turn all of the tone knobs as far counterclockwise as you can. Then strum and turn up the bass until it sounds good, next keep strumming and turn up the mids, then - and only then - start turning up the treble. You'll find you probably use a lot less treble and everthing will sound much better.

Heard this from Marc Seal who I would consider a very talented guitarist. Another forumite tried it and said it worked like a charm.

Yes, and Marc Seal's tone is awesome and varied:

Marc Seal Performance

I'd forgotten he did the Taylor T5 demo. Here is a link to a bunch of Parker Guitar demos.

An iTunes type site had a "free 30 downloads" for signing up promotion. I found three of his albums on there and that is what I got. Its incredible seeing him do these songs on the Taylor.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I set all the controls FLAT.. so I get as close to no coloration of the signal at all. Because bass will color the overall tone the most I leave that to the very end of the adjustments. Start with teble settings and you will find the cutting edge of the amps tonal range (guitar pickups on bridge postion) Next got to your middle setting, this is where the most punch will be found it is the area where guitars sound like guitars and will be the most part of the tonal range that will be heard, get this to sound middle range as compared to the treble settings you started out with. NOW go to your bass settings and slowly dial these in, as you add bass you will find that what you perceived as maybe crystal clear treble is now sounding rolled off and you will want to add a LITTLE more treble, you are now in the middle pickup postion on the guitar, now go to the neck pickup and see if you think you may have a little too much bass added, if so, roll your bass back a little, your middle adjustments should still sound full but with just enough sparkle on your higher strings. The final test, record yourself, take some mental notes and go back to your settings again and tweek based on what you hear... re-record listen again, this is petty much how the audience will hear you,except in most cases when you are within the mix with the band you will find you may want to boost your treble settings a slight bit.

I'd forgotten he did the Taylor T5 demo. Here is a link to a bunch of Parker Guitar demos.

An iTunes type site had a "free 30 downloads" for signing up promotion. I found three of his albums on there and that is what I got. Its incredible seeing him do these songs on the Taylor.

Yes! He does stuff with the Taylor that are awesome. Perhaps he helped the T5 win "Electric Guitar of the Year" in 2005...

Those Parker demos are pretty cool too. If i had an extra 3 grand I'd be all over the Fly Mojo...

Also, be aware that what sounds good & full by itself at home will often be muddy, overly bassy & lacking treble definition when you set up in a venue and/or play with other instruments.

And with a little amp like the Frontman, you may get a better sound with the amp up on a chair.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived