Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw "The Nuge" Saturday night...Uncle Ted's still got it.

Hairfarmer

I saw the Detroit madman for the 8th time Saturday night. I sat in the engineers booth 100' away for the show. He's still awesome.

He had an incredible sound coming from his wall of Peavey's. He's using pinch harmonics now to an almost excessive degree...but, it works with his music. It almost added an element of freshness to a set list of old favorites that we've all heard a ga-zillion times, but never seem to tire of.

The Derek St. James stuff he's now doing again totally rocked, but mostly because I hadn't heard him play them since Derek left the band back in the...(ahem) 70's.

He played his usual arsenal of Gibsons, with his american flag Les Paul being used for all but 4 songs.

His voice was perfect. I never heard him crack once. His current drummer and bassist sing exceptionally well too, so vocals were solid all night.

All and all, I HIGHLY recommend you catch his show this time around if your a fan. This was at a county fair, so the set list was shortened for the show because of time restraints, but he still played 2 hours.

THE NUGE!...Kill somthing and grill it! (I love it.)

Here's the set list for the show I saw. (For a three piece band, Soul Man sounded incredibly sweet.)

Intro - America, F@%#CK YEAH!

-Stormtroopin

-Wango Tango/You Really Got Me

-Snakeskin Cowboys

-Free For All

-Wang Dang Sweet Poontang

-KLSTRPHKME

-Rawdogs & Warhogs

-SoulMan

-Kiss My Ass

-Hey Baby

-FRED BEAR

-Stranglehold

-Cat Scratch Fever

Encore - Great White Buffalo

I hope you dig it.

Hairy

Kerry

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it distressing to picture Ted with anything other than a Gibson Byrdland and a wall of Fender amps behind him. I know it has literally been decades since he used this set-up but this rig pretty much defined his sound for me.

A Les Paul and Peavey amps??? Ugh! :freak:;)

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

I find it distressing to picture Ted with anything other than a Gibson Byrdland and a wall of Fender amps behind him. I know it has literally been decades since he used this set-up but this rig pretty much defined his sound for me.

A Les Paul and Peavey amps??? Ugh! :freak:;)

I thought the same thing, but to be truthful, the Peavey's sounded amazing.

Now...he did play his signature Byrdlands on the songs that I assume to him are more driven by the Byrdland sound, for example, he used his black one on Storm Troopin and Snakeskin Cowboy's, the natural ash on Stranglehold, and a white one on Great White Buffalo.

I also noticed he played a Les Paul almost exclusively on VH1 Superband.

Kerry

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

I've seen Ted over a dozen times and he's never failed to put on a kick ass show.

The FIRST time I saw him was at a skating rink in a cave in Crystal City, Mo wayyyyy back in 1970. His dads brother lived there until he passed just a few years ago. I was 9 and couldn't stand how loud it was and called my mother to come pick me up. (Boy has THAT changed.)

I never really followed his Amboy Dukes stuff when I was young, but when Stranglehold came out...well, it was on!

As much as I respect him for his guitar playing, which is among the best ever, and his longevity in the hardest industry to survive in, I respect him more for his life long outspokeness on drug and alcohol abuse.

He damn sure doesn't need the money, but for one, I'm personally glad he decided to tour again in 2006.

Kerry

Ted was my first concert. He came out and played guitar faster, hotter, and nastier than anyone I ever heard before. It was a total revelation. I will never forget it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

He's a player extraordinare, that's for sure. Somehow, I had never seen him live before. Seeing him live, it was immediately clear that he is a connsumate entertainer as well. He's a smart man, too.

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Never paid much attention to him until I saw him live in 2003. Kenny Wayne Shepherd opened, then the Nuge, then ZZ Top. Pretty mellow evening as you might imagine. I now consider myself to be a disciple of the first church of Ted. What a show!!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Lee,

App. what year did he start doing the Cobo Hall New Years' shows? I saw so many of those.

Also, does he still do them now that he lives in Texas?

I think around mid 70's he started that tradition, not sure if he still is doing them? although he still has a house and land up here.

Originally posted by SteveRB:

Originally posted by Hairfarmer:

I thought the same thing, but to be truthful, the Peavey's sounded amazing.
He is playing through a miked Peavey Classic 50 410. The other cabs might just be there just for looks. :)
I don't know very much about Peavey, definitely not enough to tell you what I was looking at on the stage, but, it was meant to impress, if not intimidate.

What I saw were 4 stacks of 3 each 4/12 Peavey cabs with 2 Peavey heads on top of each stack. The heads may have well been empty Classic 50's, looked like 'em. And, the cabs may have been empty 4x10's, I don't know. They had vintage tweed grills. This wall was on both sides of the drum riser. That was in addition to the 2 Peavey half stacks sitting in front of the riser, one at each corner. Those two were probably the only active amps on stage, although, when he forced speaker feedback, he always walked back to the wall to do so, so hell, you got me.

Potentially, that equates to 18 heads @ 50 watts for 900 Watts RMS, and, 104 speakers. That might rock.

While all of us know the wall was likely only for show, I'm sure there were folks of all ages and gender at the water cooler yesterday morning talking about the massive stage setup. Thereby, it served it's purpose.

One thing's for sure. It looked impressive, sounded great, and, he's STILL loud as the begeezus. A definite must see in 2006.

Kerry

I forgot to mention. His show was HEAVILY patriotic. He must have said "Celebrate Freedom, Baby!" at least 100 times. And it got the same crowd response the 100th time as it did the 1st. A massive roar of cheers.

He also popped a broadhead arrow into the heart of a 12' cardboard likeness of Bin Laden. That also caused a slight cheer from the 4,000 or so in attendence.

I also forgot to mention that he played a Zebra patterned PRS on Fred Bear. I think it's from his Call of the Wild days.

Kerry

I can't honestly recall how many, but yes, there were mic's randomly placed throughout the wall, and, both of the half stacks in front of the drum riser were mic'd.

The hot lamps were also lit on all of the heads in the wall.

I know the engineer that worked the board. He own's the system used by the fair for all of the talent that appeared throughout the week. I'll have to call him now and ask for details to satisfy my own curiosity...lol.

Kerry

Originally posted by Hairfarmer:

Originally posted by Mudcat:

I find it distressing to picture Ted with anything other than a Gibson Byrdland and a wall of Fender amps behind him....

...Now...he did play his signature Byrdlands on the songs that I assume to him are more driven by the Byrdland sound, for example, he used his black one on Storm Troopin and Snakeskin Cowboy's, the natural ash on Stranglehold, and a white one on Great White Buffalo...
Now that's more like it! :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Archived