Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What chord do/did you have the most trouble with?

superdave

The A chord is killing my "other" short finger at the moment. Also even with small hands I find it it hard to cram three fingers in the space needed to make that chord. I don't know how some guitar players with big hands make some of the harder chords.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How flexible is the tip of your index finger? Because I do an A by spanning the tip of my index finger over the 3 strings... You have to be quite flexible with it other wise you mute strings.. But if you do you cant normally notice a great deal anyway. But some people will say thats a BS way of doing it....

The one that probably gave me most trouble to start with was E7#9... Well I think it did... I cant really remember.. I seem to remember F being a pain in the arse.

Originally posted by UnderTheGroove:

I hated F when I first started playing. So do most of my beginner students.

Yes! That was the worst for me. I refused to play one of my favorite songs for years because it relied on a good, solid F. (I began playing on a jumbo classical when I was 8. Have small fingers now and had smaller fingers then.) The song was Yesterday. I don't know how many of you are as aware how much I love the Beatles compared to, say, Ted ( ;) ), but I really love their music. That's how frustrating it was for me to play F when I was young. (And the partial on the first 4 strings didn't cut it for me to play Yesterday. :( )

Oddly enough, G wasn't particularly difficult, even with the ungodly wide stretch for my fingers on that 2" wide-at-the-nut fretboard. :eek:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by UnderTheGroove:

I hated F when I first started playing. So do most of my beginner students.

Yes! That was the worst for me. I refused to play one of my favorite songs for years because it relied on a good, solid F. (I began playing on a jumbo classical when I was 8. Have small fingers now and had smaller fingers then.) The song was Yesterday...
Neil,

I assume you are now aware of the fact that McCartney played Yesterday in the open G position with his Epiphone Texan tuned down a whole step, right?

I agree, F was a drag when I was first learning to play. I wasn't too keen on Bb either.

Mudcat

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

The one it took forever for me to get was B7 in the first position. It took all four fingers, and I thought I'd never get to where I didn't have to stop a song to catch that chord.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Any chord that I'm not used to playing or changing to can give me fits until I work through it a couple of times. Changing from a m7 to m7b5 was a bit weird, it's really an easy change, but my fingers didn't want to go that way at first. But that's why we practice, right?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Noodlesbad:

Originally posted by TheOtherLee:

Haha I had to look up the A11 chord... That looks pretty funky, might have to give it a go :)

http://jguitar.com/chord.gif?chord=11th&root=A&define=5%2C4%2C2%2C2%2C3%2C3

I find it's the open A11 that's the real challenge.
We advanced players have special one string capos we carry at all times! (a little insider advanced tip) for all you young pups, you can ask about them next time your in your local music stone! :thu:

Originally posted by Mudcat:

...Neil,

I assume you are now aware of the fact that McCartney played Yesterday in the open G position with his Epiphone Texan tuned down a whole step, right?...

(crickets chirping)

:freak:

You have to be kidding.. Doh! :o

I did not know that. :rolleyes:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

...Neil,

I assume you are now aware of the fact that McCartney played Yesterday in the open G position with his Epiphone Texan tuned down a whole step, right?...

(crickets chirping)

Hey, maybe it's for the best. Otherwise you may have never learned to play an "F" chord. :D

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Noodlesbad:

Originally posted by TheOtherLee:

Haha I had to look up the A11 chord... That looks pretty funky, might have to give it a go :)

http://jguitar.com/chord.gif?chord=11th&root=A&define=5%2C4%2C2%2C2%2C3%2C3

I find it's the open A11 that's the real challenge.
We advanced players have special one string capos we carry at all times! (a little insider advanced tip) for all you young pups, you can ask about them next time your in your local music stone! :thu:
I don't think I can play that at all ever! :D

Boy, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has a hard time with the A chord in the open position! Sometimes I'll just play it as a barre chord, 5th fret, 'specially if I'm too tired to fight it. I saw the thread title and figured you pro's would list a bunch of funky minor/diminished/suspended who-haw. The F chord too! Thank you! It never sounds quite right, but I keep trying, honest I do.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Originally posted by A String:

...Neil,

(crickets chirping)

Hey, maybe it's for the best. Otherwise you may have never learned to play an "F" chord. :D
Check out the version of Yesterday on one of the Anthology CDs. You can hear Paul mention that the song is in the key of F but that it is in G for him because the guitar is tuned down a whole step.

When I first learned Yesterday, I couldn't figure out why it didn't sound like the record even though I played it in the correct key. Then someone pointed this out to me. It was defintely one of those "Eureka!" moments. :D

BTW - I agree B7 was also a pain to learn to play correctly.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

That A11 is TOUGH....and it would be even tougher if you were switching chords real fast.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Yes, the F chord. I bar all my F chords. I have small hands and kinda fat fingers, so I bar a lot of chords. My son is quite the guitar player, yet he works harder on bar chords than me. He says my top finger is the perfect length for the bar! I need my pinkie to reach strings he gets with his ring finger. A Clapton I'll never be!

...Hey, maybe it's for the best. Otherwise you may have never learned to play an "F" chord. :D

You think so? :mad: Well F - yo... (Scuffling sounds as minions of the moderator tackle and subdue fantasticsound and give him the heave-ho! :freak: )

:D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

...Check out the version of Yesterday on one of the Anthology CDs. You can hear Paul mention that the song is in the key of F but that it is in G for him because the guitar is tuned down a whole step.

When I first learned Yesterday, I couldn't figure out why it didn't sound like the record even though I played it in the correct key. Then someone pointed this out to me. It was defintely one of those "Eureka!" moments. :D

BTW - I agree B7 was also a pain to learn to play correctly.

You know, I have those CD's and I haven't listened to most of them. :freak: Believe me, I'm having a Eureka moment as we speak. Can't wait to get home and try it. I'm very atuned to the timbre of songs in their original keys. It drives me batty when I play something and it doesn't sound right against the familiar recording. :rolleyes:

I don't understand about B7. That was one of the easiest to learn. Are we talking open position or A-barre-2? :confused: The latter was somewhat difficult because of the barre. But the open fingering was simple for me.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

quote:

...Hey, maybe it's for the best. Otherwise you may have never learned to play an "F" chord. :D

You think so? :mad: Well F - yo... (Scuffling sounds as minions of the moderator tackle and subdue fantasticsound and give him the heave-ho! :evil:

Archived