Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great amp why use a pedal?

souvenir

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by miroslav:

Originally posted by Teahead:

... and valve amps like to be pushed, slammed and overdriven with hot signals.

Not necessarily...

Much of the "vintage" Rock sounds that everyone craves were not gotten that way.

Pickups where of much lower gain...and there wasn't a slew of stomp boxes all daisy chained together between the amp and the guitar to pump up the signal.

Most times it was just the guitar and the amp.

I don't much like high gain PUs. You get to a point when the signal gets so hot...it's pretty much flat-lining...and after that it's just a tonal soup...IMO.

There's just something raw, sensual with a lower gain tone...it's almost 3-dimensional compared to a screeching hot signal that sounds like a buzz saw....

..but, YMMV...

i agree about low gain pickups.

even when doing heavy gain tone i like the clear sperated tone to be coming from the guitar.

or it is all fuzzy mud.

now there is a good blues name...Fuzzy Mud :D

Originally posted by miroslav:

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Or you could learn to play with sensitivity (not you personally, necessarily).

I think you missed his point.

When you have the signal screeching hot...any playing sensitivity will not come through as well as when you have less gain going.

With a hot signal...things just tend to level out...flat-line.

I know it's a bit tough to go less-gain in a live situation...and that's where a mic in front of your cab will help.

In the studio...I hardly every turn the amps on "11"...as I find for getting that "vintage" R&R tone, I get much better results with things set between "3-7"...

...but, as I saidYMMV...

Well I totally agree about less volume, live or in the studio. But for the pickups themselves-it seems the complaint is about unwanted signal compression. That SHOULDN`T be the case. The only difference in adding a second coil should be, that the range between the lowest audible sound-below which you can`t hear anything-and the highest, beyond which playing harder doesn`t make a difference, should start louder and end louder with double coils. I`m sure Seymour Duncan doesn`t want the signal flattening out, neither does DiMarzio, or any of the artists who have dual-humbucker sig models. Of course it`s also partly a matter of where one`s musical preferences lie. But the fact is, that humbuckers allow more options. You can always tap one coil of a humbucker.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived