Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Share your tone secrets.

AeroG33k

By now we've all heard several 'tricks' people swear by regarding post/pre effect EQing, various effect combinations etc. So what are your little touches that make your tone great or at least better?

I recently made a small adjustment that made a noticable difference. I usually play with the neck humbucker through a clean Gibson GA-30 with a hint of reverb. Sometimes i found that tone very boomy and too heavy in the midrange (there's only a single EQ knob on my amp), but by selecting the middle position on the pick selector, turning down the volume on the neck pickup just a tiny bit, while the bridge pickup is rolled down almost all the way, I get a tone that's warm, yet crisp. Closer to an acoustic guitar, but not as harsh (when amplified, anyway). I really wish I had a piezo pickup in the bridge to enhance this effect to add even more sparkle, but that will have to wait. It also helps to add a capo on the first fret to have a more crisp tone, I think, if you can afford or compensate for the shift in pitch.

So, what are the 'little things' you swear by?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if I shared my tone secret(s), it wouldn't be secret anymore, right?

I have these 2 killer point to point wired heads which were discontinued in the 90's.

I have taken the logos off and have covered up the model name w/black tape on the face plate

No one will know, unless they've seen one before.

I ain't tellin, neiter

Happy trails

Geez, Yze. I didn't know your tone was so valuble. :D

Anyway, I don't think my tone is in my equipment as much as my hands. I take the "anti-Eric Johnson" approach to tone. I love the guy and his tone, but he is so picky about what he sounds like, it's amazing he can play anything. That's not to be a nag, just to say, would he sound like that through a Crate with a Blues Driver? My guess is yes. Which is what I do.

If you can't play a Crate with a Blues Driver and sound like you, then you're doing something wrong.

Having said that, my tone is also a closely guarded secret. :D

Shut up and play.

We have exhausted this premise in the past regarding "Tone more in the fingers" vs. "Tone more in the amp"

A new example has come up to support my position of the amp being more important (assuming you have at least 2 fingers on your fretting hand)

The first stevie Ray Montreux festival, he got booed off the stage

If you watch it, he is playing the same legendary riffs in key, in time, totally wailing, great technique, emotion - all of the things that we know stevie ray -

Oh, but one thing was missing - - - his tone was horrible

He was playing through these music man amps pribably supplied by a 3rd party

The later Montreux footage, he his still playing the great way he always has, but with his killer amp backline - and he was praised by the audience and his tone was incredible

So, stevie ray had the same fingers at the first Montreux festival that he did at the last Montrteux festival

His tone sucked at the first one and he used Music Man amps and got booed off stage.

His playing, technique, feel, vibe was all spot on

His tone was incredible at the later Montreux festival and he used a number of different quality/modded amps and he was cheered on beyond belief.

His playing, technique, feel, vibe was just as on as in the first Montreux festival

Same fingers + different amp = different tone

I agree with you yZe, to an extent. My point is that you don't need a huge, expensive rig to sound like you. You'll sound better with one, true, however, it's not a defining characteristic of anyone's tone. For every Stevie Ray at Montreux festival story there are at least 50 other stories of people who will still suck even if they use a $10,000 rig.
Shut up and play.

Well, what you do with your hands is what I consider your 'style'. When I talk about 'tone' I mean what you get about your gear, I should've specified that.

And I also agree that you don't need a huge expensive rig, when I posted this topic I was more interested in how you 'tweak' what you have more so than in what you have.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

A lot of people like those Music Man amps. I don't imagine the amp was the only difference. Could have been anynumber of things. Bad sound man, wrong crowd, etc. SRV was known to play a few shows drunk or stoned off his ass too ... so maybe it was his fault that he sounded or performed like shit. Sure, maybe he hit all the right notes at the right times, but maybe he was playing absurdly loud ... maybe his stage demeaner was unprofessional. Or maybe his ealier show was on a bill with New Kids on the Block, while the later show was with Clapton and Buddy Guy. Maybe they weren't actually booing Stevie that first time out ... maybe they were actually booing the drummer or something. Who knows. I really doubt the amps were the only difference between the two shows.

"When I posted this topic I was more interested in how you 'tweak' what you have more so than in what you have."
Yeah, we know. I was just pointing out part of my tweaking is using my hands. Otherwise, all I can do is sit around and mess with EQs and channels on my Yamaha DG Stomp until something sounds right (I don't have my rig with me while I'm on the road in Pittsburgh). Also, using the right amount of delay helps a lot. Too much or too little can make your playing sound almost sterile of oversaturated. I don't think anyone wants either.
Shut up and play.

In order to get the tone I like, I have a DIY tool I made. All it is is like a few picks taped together that I put under the back of my Crybaby so I can return to that spot, which I use for my lead tone. I also have the tone knob on the guitar turned down pretty low, but not all the way. Then of course the usual amp, fingers, noise gate, etc...
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

Originally posted by Sleaze_Disease:

In order to get the tone I like, I have a DIY tool I made. All it is is like a few picks taped together that I put under the back of my Crybaby so I can return to that spot, which I use for my lead tone. I also have the tone knob on the guitar turned down pretty low, but not all the way. Then of course the usual amp, fingers, noise gate, etc...

What you can't hit that spot by ear? :D hehe

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Haha I imagine I could, but I'm sort of obsessive over it. It's has to be just that right sweet spot. :D
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

I believe SRV got booed at the first Montreux simply because he blasted an unsuspecting soft jazz audience with a loud blues/rock trio. It wasn't because of his use of Music Man amps.

Anyway, I'm no tone guru, but I have found slight compression to be the key to a fuller, fatter tone whether clean or distorted. Not too much, but just enough to soften the attack while thickening the sustain. Then turn the output up enough (or maybe a little more for extra gain) to compensate for any signal strength loss.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Haha I imagine I could, but I'm sort of obsessive over it. It's has to be just that right sweet spot. :D
I know, that's is why I was ribbing you. :D

Originally posted by rotosound45:

I believe SRV got booed at the first Montreux simply because he blasted an unsuspecting soft jazz audience with a loud blues/rock trio. It wasn't because of his use of Music Man amps.

Anyway, I'm no tone guru, but I have found slight compression to be the key to a fuller, fatter tone whether clean or distorted. Not too much, but just enough to soften the attack while thickening the sustain. Then turn the output up enough (or maybe a little more for extra gain) to compensate for any signal strength loss.

Dead on the money. I imagine that it felt really good to come back and not be booed. I got chills from the no look stops at the begining of Couldn't Stand the Weather. It was the first time I saw him play (on video).

I don't have any tone secrets, cause I am young and clueless! The only things I really mess with, regarding tone, are the drive on my amp, the pickup switch on my guitar, and my sister's Boss Mega Distortion pedal.

Which I borrowed. Without asking.

Hey, she never uses it!

:D I am the little sister from hell.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Originally posted by bass247:

I don't have any tone secrets, cause I am young and clueless! The only things I really mess with, regarding tone, are the drive on my amp, the pickup switch on my guitar, and my sister's Boss Mega Distortion pedal.

I tried one of those in the store but wasn't that impressed. Do you do anything different I should know about that makes it worth owning?
Shut up and play.

I wish I had siblings to steal gear from! I agree about the 'less is more' approach. Well, it's not really by choice, since I don't have any equipment (in terms of effects and gadgets) other than my amp, an overdrive and my guitar, but if I did, I don't think I'd use it much...I love the pure clean sound, all I do is a bit of reverb for depth.

Just curious, bass247, just how young are you?

-Andy

Revolead, the pedal is nothing special. I would have chosen one with multi effects or something cooler. At least it gets the sound. But, y'know, I found it in a box in my house, so uh...finders keepers.

AeroG33k, it's kinda fun to see how people treat me when they don't know how old I am, but it's no secret that I'm young.

I'm twelve!

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Ah, there aren't a lot of people here who are younger than I. Seems like you're more mature than a lot of older members here though! (I don't mean this in a bad way, but this forum gets pretty silly some times...the good kind of silly).

-Andy

The secret to good tone is to buy very expensive equipment.

Just kidding.

I don't know if I have any secrets worth stealing. I like my amp simple (tube amp) with as few gadgets as possible. I like to set the tone/distortion to enhance my specific guitar sound (LP or Strat) and not drown it out.

If I'm playing a Strat, I want you to know I'm playing a Strat. Likewise with the LP.

After that's all said and done, I do my best to play clean with no extraneous string noise.

Right now for me, there's no gadget or toy that will make me any better of a guitarist. It's all practice from here on out. I have all I need.

Good tone is in your hands first. A good amp and a great soundman are important too if you are playing in an electric band.

You can have a Dumble or whatever but if the soundman sux or doesn't care, you can still be a mime.

Like some guy could have a Dumble and have an incredible tone, but a not so incredible soundman.

Some guy could have a Peavey Classic 30 stock, with a great soundman and he sounds incredible. So tone isn't all in your hands I guess..

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

If it hasn't been mentionrd:

start w/all EQ @ noon

adjust to taste

just great, :mad:

i have to wait..it's midnight here.

seriously , every minute of the day i will adjust it different.

my biggest secret to tone?

a honking fat pick.

Jim dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 mm

honest

nothing better to make palm mutes, single notes and speed picking in your face.

but wait it's not just for heavy stuff.

you can twang all you want with a big stubby.

my secret

i am done

His tone sucked at the first one and he used Music Man amps and got booed off stage.

Hey, I have the save DVD

a) I don't think his tone sucked. Matter of opinion, perhaps.

b) The reasons why he got booed were definitely not due to the guitar tone. That is strange, strange logic. As other forumites have suggested, it was due to the audience not getting what the want. I can't imagine audience members going "Man, this guy can really play... but his tone SUCKS... BOOOO..." I believe David Bowie was at that show and recruited Stevie after that. Read the DVD booklet.

Originally posted by Squ:

Hey, I have the save DVD

a) I don't think his tone sucked. Matter of opinion, perhaps.

b) The reasons why he got booed were definitely not due to the guitar tone. That is strange, strange logic. As other forumites have suggested, it was due to the audience not getting what the want. I can't imagine audience members going "Man, this guy can really play... but his tone SUCKS... BOOOO..." I believe David Bowie was at that show and recruited Stevie after that. Read the DVD booklet.

O.k, I didn't meant to imply that the audience are amp connoiseurs (spelling?) and holding up scorecards. I believe people know whether something sounds good or bad

A friend of mine was using an old vintage marshall at a gig and cameron Diaz was in the audience

She told him "hey your guitar sounds great"

I don't believe she is a guitarist, but I could be wrong

My point is that non-musicians know good guitar tone from bad.

I definitely believe that he was having tone problems that day

Definitely Subjective stuff here, but are you going to tell me that you detect zero to minimal diffrence in tone from the early footage w/the music man and the later footage w/the dumbles, hot rodded fenders/Marshalls?

Archived