Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marshall Amps

Hac

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best Marshall combo... I assume we are talking about their tube amps and are not limited to new Marshalls...

Maybe the most soughtafter combo would be a Bluesbreaker combo from the early/mid 60s. Plug in a Les Paul and think of early Clapton. Marshall makes a re-issue of this amp...

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1962BB

Other Marshall combos to consider, at least in my book, would be:

A early/mid 80's JCM800 combo. These amps came in several variations, 50 or 100 Watts, Master Volume or not, Channel Switching, etc. Also had your choice of 1 or 2 speakers.

Also, a Silver Jubilee Series from 1987 is worth looking at as well. Think of Slash's tone.

There are plenty more to choose from out there. Like the others have written... get out and play thru them... that's the best way to make a decision.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Here's a Marshall amp sleeper pick: The 3203 head with either a 2x12 or 4x10 cabinet. It's a 30 watt head and both the cabinet and head are downsized a little so they'll fit into just about any car.

I used to play through one of these and man, the thing is killer! They stopped making them in the 80's. Check ebay, though.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

JCM 800 with a master volume sounds great at low volume levels. I've had it absoulutely growling, and the rest of the family was asleep in my home.

I have a JCM 900 1x12 combo that is really cool. It has two channels, one is supposed to be clean, the other dirty. My only problem with it is, that the clean is pretty dirty! It's a good amp, but not a favorite...

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Like everyone else has said. Where do you start? What kind of music do you want to play? At what volume levels? Where do you want to use it?

Marshall has a pretty broad range of amps. From the JCM800s and Plexis down to the little solid state MG10CD.

I personally love the sound of the JCM800 on a full stack. But that's just WAY too loud for most people and purposes.

But I also like the Marshall Bluesbreaker, too. The older solid state (Lead 12) stuff was pretty good and you can pick those up on eBay pretty reasonable. I think they sound better than the new MG stuff and they are better built (no particle board or mdf).

Marshall JCM800s, Plexis, Bluesbreakers, 18watt combos and other "vintage" stuff will cost you but they are good stuff. Sometimes you can find pretty good deals on them on eBay. But competition there can be fierce and can really drive the prices up.

There are lots of other brands that have good sound, too, though. You may be set on a Marshall, but look at the other brands, too. You might find the sound you want with someone else's label on it and for a lower price.

Born on the Bayou

from waht i know -TSL 602/601 for more modern stuff like metal hard rock - its nothing like a mesa but its sorta close.

Then the DSL series ( ithink its the DLS 401, might be others) for more low gain stuff, maybe classic rock G&R possibly

thats my knolidge on marshalls pleazse someone tell me if im worng

I tried out a new Marshall DSL combo. I liked it. It is versatile and the clean channel gets a nice crunch if you crank it, which sounds like power tube gain.

I is a high gain amp.

I am sure it doesn't sound as good as a JTM 45, but those are big bux.

But good and bad depend on your style of music.

I don't know what is available over there amp wise besides Marshalls of course. Here there are plenty of choices.

Yeah a JCM 800 series combo used, would be awesome. Thats what I would get if I were you and there weren't much choices or something.

I bought my JCM 800 50 watt combo new in 1981. It has served me very well over the years. My only wish is that it had channel switching capabilities. As I look to upgrade my equipment, I wonder about trading in the Marshall combo to get a more versitile amp. It's hard. I love it, but wish it had more. Actually, I wish I could combine it with another amp in the same case and add switching capabilities. Probably not very realistic.

Brian

...getting back into playing after a 15 year "break".

Originally posted by Windhover:

I bought my JCM 800 50 watt combo new in 1981. It has served me very well over the years. My only wish is that it had channel switching capabilities. As I look to upgrade my equipment, I wonder about trading in the Marshall combo to get a more versitile amp. It's hard. I love it, but wish it had more. Actually, I wish I could combine it with another amp in the same case and add switching capabilities. Probably not very realistic.

You might like the Marshall DSL combo, give it a go and see what you think! I have the DSL head wit the 4X12 bottom and love it, it's the same switching scheme as the combo.

The more I learn about the new amps available, the less I feel sure about what to get. As far as budget, it seems like $2,000 seems to be the "quality" line. That makes choosing just a little harder. Two grand buys a lot of home improvements, which my wife is quite aware of. I'll just have to be patient. I need to fix up my Strat first, I have some fret problems up high and a pesky short in the volume pot. Then, maybe I'll take it around to try out amps.

My Marshall has a fantastic overdriven sound, but the clean is not as good. I still need to try the Mesa (I forgot the model), and there are boutique amps that seem to be getting a lot of attention.

Spending a little time on this forum is starting to pay off. It's a quick way to learn what is available when you don't have the time to immerse yourself in everything "guitar". Last night I learned about Kinman pickups... looks pretty good.

Brian

...getting back into playing after a 15 year "break".

Archived