Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording Acoustic Guitar question. Help!

3Dfan

My studio is pretty small. It is about 11'x11' with 8' ceilings.

I've recently built DIY Bass traps which made a big difference in the room and how my acoustic guitars sound in this room. I am still not completely satisfied with my recorded sound. I think the problem is where I am sitting in this room when I record.

Where should an acoustic guitar player sit in an 11x11 room to get the best balanced sound recorded. I have always sat with my back to one corner facing the opposite corner accross the room but I am not getting a balanced tone this way. It is too boomy even with the bass traps.

Should I sit with my back to the middle of one of the parallel walls, facing the middle of the opposite parallel wall about 9 ' across the room from me?? I am using omni mics less than a foot from the front of the guitar, one near the bridge and one near the neck body joint.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :confused:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, now this might have been good information to include on the other thread. ;)

As to the question, "Where should an acoustic guitar player sit in an 11x11 room to get the best balanced sound recorded," I'd reply, "Outside the room." ;):D

I would sit as you suggested, but turn the guitar 45º towards one of the "side" walls.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Steve Howe described the way he got his acoustic tones on "Natural Timbre" in an interview a while back. Basically he set up his mics and sat in an office chair on wheels and moved around until he found the "sweet spot".

I'm not certain close mic'ing with an omni-directional mic is your best bet. They're going to pick up lots of room sound. You'd probably get better results close mic'ing with a cardiod or super-carioid mic and using the omni to pick up and blend in room ambience.

Check out Ethan Winer\'s forum if you haven't already.

I suspect 11x11x8 is pretty darn close to the imfamous 10x10x10. You may want to consider using another room or installing a recording booth.

I'd guess using some sort of room divider to shorten one of the 11's might work, but I'm sure Ethan has already covered this approach.

Hmmm ... somewhere I remember reading about affixing omni's to a flat surface (wall or floor) to eliminate unwanted room reflections. I don't remember what it's called; I'm sure someone will remind me.

I'd be using a pair of cardioid mics,to start with.

The real trick to recording most things is to listen, find the best sound, and put the mic there. Start with listening to the guitar. Move to different areas in the room. Listen again. Eventually you will find the best sounding spot int he room.

Then you'll need help, because to find the best sounding place for a mic you need someone to play, while someone with headphones moves the mic around.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

The room is actually pretty close to 11x12' and I could also open a sliding closet door and add about another foot, at least where the door is.

Should I attempt to open the closet door to get a little bit bigger room?

Would some diffusion help?

Well, Just outside my small studio is a big foyer with a hardwood floor and about 20 ft. ceilings. If I open the door will that help?

I really can't set up and record in the foyer because I have 3 cats that would think it was play time, not recording time.

I just put a lot of work into building DIY Bass traps for this small studio with advice and help from the Ethan Winer forum at this site.

Isn't it possible to make a small room sound good for recording with proper acoustic treatment?

I can tell my room sounds a lot better than it did before but I'm looking for a really nice "Jars of Clay" type of acoustic guitar sound.

Originally posted by 3Dfan:

The room is actually pretty close to 11x12' and I could also open a sliding closet door and add about another foot, at least where the door is.

Should I attempt to open the closet door to get a little bit bigger room?

Would some diffusion help?

Either might help some, as will anything that helps break up the effect of the parallel walls. Do the omni mic's or your mixer have a -10db pad? If so turn it on.

Originally posted by 3Dfan:

Yes, my mics have a -10 db pad. How exactly will this help??

Should I be using some absorption on at least one wall of each set of parallel walls? Would that help balance the sound?

"my mics have a -10 db pad. How exactly will this help??"

It won't, unless you are overloading the head amp of the mic.

In your situation, reflections are your enemy. But any treatment that you apply needs to be broadband, or you will create as many problems as you solve.

Unless the cats own the larger room, I think that I would find a way to evict them long enough to make a recording.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived