Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Here!

KingPetrov

Hey there, new here, and trying to teach myself guitar. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be in, but I was wondering if anybody could offer any helpful advice. I'm currently playing away on an acoustic but really want to get an electric, but with so many out there I'm not sure what would be a good safe bet? Budget of up to £1000, any pointers would be helpful!! Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it took me awhile to learn the difference between American and Mexican strats. They are both nice guitars. But if you can swing it, buy the American, they are much prettier.

But then again, there are people who swear by the Mexis.

I actually like most of the epis I've played more than the Gibson.

I think a beginner should by the nicest guitar they can afford.

However, you really need to try the different guitars out and pick the one that suits your style of playing.

We can give you lots of suggestions, but in the end you will simply have to sit down at a guitar shop and try each and every one.

Get a US Strat. Great quality and playability, and very durable - much more so than Gibsons. Once you've figured out how to care for a guitar, you can look at other brands, but the Strat is the most popular and versatile guitar in the world. If you start out with a more fragile instrument, a mishap that might dent a Strat could destroy a Les Paul or SG. Don't get me wrong, they're great guitars, just not as beginner friendly.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Does that budget include an amp? I'd put more money away for a good amplifier as for the guitar, it makes a much stronger inpact on the sound. If you already have one, nevermind. Personally, I've made great experiences with Schecter guitars. They seem a bit cheaper over all with more quality for the buck, just in case you need more options. I'd recommend Carvin, which seems to be in your price range with custom options, but if you don't have much experience, you probably won't benefit from the custom options until you've played a number of guitars and know exactly what you want/need.

While the big names (Gibson, Fenders) and their derivatives (Epiphone, Squier) are nice, going with a lesser known brand can have advantages in price too, while the quality is usually comparable, if not better given the mass production at times...but going with a big name, you know what you're getting.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Welcome!!

If you can afford it, buy the American Strat. However, if you want to save a bit of money, try the Mexican Strat. You can often find a used Mexican Strat on eBay for around $250 american, which is a great deal. I have one as my "leave it in the TV room" electric, and I really love it!

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Welcome to the forum. :thu:

I have what to buy advice for you. It's one of those to each their own kind of things. I'm sure you will find something that catches your eye and ear. Go play a bunch, but if you are not feeling like playing in front of people yet, have the guitar store person play some for you.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Oh yeah. I totally forgot about the Amp.

I'll tell you, good amps are expensive.

So I think you should start with an inexpensive versatile amp, definately a modeling one with lots of features.

Or one of those modeling pedals, they have lots of features and you most likely want to practice with head phones any way.

Definately take you time looking for the right amp. The Amp you finally choose is atleast as important as the guitar you choose. Some might say even more important.

So don't rush into buying an amp or you will get stuck with a Line6 Spider like I did. It's not that bad. When I first got it (I was a newbie) I thought it was awesome. But now it lacks what I am really looking for sonically.

King Petrov welcome and welcome to a fellow Celtic fan judging by the name.

£1000 to spend can get you most things in the UK.

But you will want an amp to go along with your new guitar, so as many have recommended a US strat would be a great first electric aprox £700 in most places, but try plenty if you can, but if at all possible buy a US one not a mexican etc... just better guitars in the main and better re-sale value if you end up not liking it or something

But Hail hail and welcome and enjoy your guitar shopping. :D

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Welcome aboard, and stick around. If there's one thing this forum has, it's advice . SOme of it may be worth what you pay for it (nothing), but you never know when you'll run across a genuine gem of wisdom...

MY advice is go more expensive on the amp than the guitar, at first. Get an MIM strat or Epi Les Paul, and get a decent sounding amp(30 watts, minimum) to go with it. Later if you want to, you can upgrade the guitar, but having an "okay" guitar and a good amp will let you start gigging a lot sooner than a great guitar and a puny practice amp.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Get a US Strat. Great quality and playability, and very durable - much more so than Gibsons. Once you've figured out how to care for a guitar, you can look at other brands, but the Strat is the most popular and versatile guitar in the world. If you start out with a more fragile instrument, a mishap that might dent a Strat could destroy a Les Paul or SG. Don't get me wrong, they're great guitars, just not as beginner friendly.

*cough*
What a horrible night to have a curse.

I'd get a strat style guitar with a bridge humbucker with a coil tap. Good for Gibsonish and Stratish tones. I would think that is much more versitle than owning a guitar that has only single coil or humbucker options.

The LTD M-200FM is a stellar guitar that I would consider to be quite versitile, but most players will tell you to stay away from Floyd Rose bridges until you decide you need one. It's got neck-through construction, a tapable humbucker in the bridge via push-pull pot, and a nice flamed maple top to boot. The volume knob is also very accesable like a strat. The guitar sells for about $450usd. As soon as you decide the guiitar that you MUST have, then don't cheap out, buy it. I've bought and sold way too many guitars thinking I can't afford the one I really want. In the end, you spend a fortune and get nothing.

http://www.digitalplayroom.com/esp/images/m200fm_stbc.jpg

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Cheers for all the advice, it's been a great help. Thankfully the amp aint a problem, my mate headed over to the states, and gave me his amp, so I'm quids in there. I nearly convinced him to part with his guitar, but he finally took it with him. At the minute I'm reckoning the strat seems like a reasonable starting point. Catch you all soon!!

Dude, you can also get a Line 6 guitarport and play through your computer with alot of the same models as the POD XT. I think it is only like $150!!

I have one and it rules. If you just want something for home use for now I recommend one. It has alot of amp models, speaker cabs, mics, cool effects (line 6 really does this nicely), all in stereo. It really sounds studio quality! It has the best tuner in it I have ever used. You can load songs into it and play along, you can even slow the songs down in pitch and learn solos that you ordinarily wouldn't be able to figure out. Really no minuses. You can throw a Marshall JCM on with a 4/10 tweed and it sounds really close to an old VH sound (don't ask me why cuz I know he used V 30's and 75s).

If I could record with it I would cuz I think it is an easier interface than the POD XT and the tuner really kicks ass.

The effects are AWESOME. Best guitar effects I have ever heard in a processor.

Archived