Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC 100, PC 133 Ram Compatible?

Hey guys I'm running an AGP 450mhz G4 and I just bought 512 megs of ram from 0WC. I have 256megs already that are PC100. OWC sent me PC 133 and claim that it's totally compatible and wont give me any problems. Is this bs or what? "sometimes the rhetoric don't go with the contents"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In general, you should not have any difficulty mixing the RAM as you did. But, with prices as they are, I'd still suggest you get matching memory... if only to satisfy the mind. Some history... The really big issue with the clock rates is not getting memory rated as twice as fast. PC133 SDRAM will not work well in a 66MHz system, such as a Celeron. And, PC150 SDRAM (really exists) may cause intermittent timing issues. Faster memory will literally clock data out the other side too fast for the system. You send in a stream of data, and by the time the system expects the first one to come out, the second is already there. But, the latency introduced by the RAM you bought should be fine. Usually, technicians like to put the larger memory in the first socket. But, in the case of mixing memory speeds, the slower RAM usually goes first.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

You can mix it, but you may have "intermittant" glitches seemingly unatributable to anything.... ... and if you're really concerned, don't mix brands. If you really, really want to be sure don't mix runs, either - check the chips and make sure they're from the same place and appear to have been made at the same time. ------------------ [b]New and Improved Music Soon:[/b] http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived