Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: La feria de San Firmin in Pamplona (pics inside)

Dreamer

Originally posted by caprae:

Is it illegal to try and ride one? I could see a crazy rodeo cowboy trying to jump on one - for a minute, if that.

Well... the black ones are Miura bulls that weigh more than 600 kg each; before the race towards the Plaza de Toros they wander free inside a corral and don't like being approached by a human being (they actually have a tendency to charge them...) You could try to jump on one of them while they are running, but consider that this year it took them 2'15" to cover the 850 meters of the distance and the street has a slight downhill slope.

Not the easiest task of the world, if you ask me... :freak:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have read about running with the bulls at Pamplona, the injuries, whgile they can be fatal, are more often than not very repairable. A bull's horn up the wazoo has got to hurt, but the doctors there have become very skilled at dealing the sorts of injuries they get every year, so very few people die as a result of their injuries.

What drives men to run with the bulls in Pamplona?I suppose it is the same thing that drives men to climb Everest, or dive off of cliffs, or any of a hundred other dangerous and potentially lethal endeavors that men are prone to; sheer, untamed macho horse hockey between the ears. :P

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

There was a recent film/documentary about the rescue of a mountain climbing team, the reviewer said he couldn`t appreciate the film in the way it was intended due partly to his belief that "mountain climbers climb mountains to feel the breeze blowing through the holes in their heads." that says a lot about the actual composition of what`s between the ears of those types.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I believe that mountain climbing is alot more consistent with nature than running with aggressive wild animals horns which are known to charge people, were recently captured, penned up, and then released in a huge crowd of people on a narrow street with minimal running room.

yze, climbing mountains and chasing/being chased by bulls anywhere just for bragging rights are definitely optional (if not downright unnatural) acts for a human being. I can't see one being much different than the other, really; y'all pays yo' money and y'all takes yo' chance with both, among others.

Some unnatural acts (wearing clothes, being nice to people, etc and so on) are a service to society. Climbing mountains, chasing bulls, etc. etc., are for the pleasure of the climber/chaser/whatever. If you wanna do that sort of thing, more power to ya. Me, I can think of things I'd rather do than freeze my toes and fingers off for the sheer pleasure of getting higher above sea level than most folks ever do, or running down a street in a foreign country to show that I am man enough to take a bull's horn up the backside.

Originally posted by MILLO:

Originally posted by AeroG33k:

Well, being half Spanish, it's crazy, but tradition. Actually, when it started it was just a few local people who were, mostly, careful about it. Now, most people (who get hurt) are drunk tourists.

Just wanted to point that out before those "insane spaniards" arguments start flying ;)

Suicidal tradition.

So, exactly one half of you is Spanish?

Yeah, I was born in spain, my mother's spanish. My dad is German and I grew up in Germany, until I moved to the states when I started high school (I'm in college now).

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

http://www.gazzetta.it/Hermes%20Foto/2006/07/08/0J236BVR--400x280.jpg

This is another picture showing what goes on in the Plaza de Toros before the real corrida starts; obviously the guy jumping is a professional and the animal is not a Miura bull; aside from that, note how the horns have a cap on the top.

Animals like this one are used to lure the bulls out of the corral and down the streets of Pamplona; even miura bulls tend to follow females... ;)

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I have just found new pictures, from today's (Monday) encierro:

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/07_Luglio/10/Fdg/CEBADA.jpg

http://www.corriere.it/gallery/Cronache/2006/07_Luglio/pamplona/2/20.jpg

http://www.corriere.it/gallery/Cronache/2006/07_Luglio/pamplona/2/21.jpg

http://www.corriere.it/gallery/Cronache/2006/07_Luglio/pamplona/2/22.jpg

As you can see, women too take part to the race...

http://www.corriere.it/gallery/Cronache/2006/07_Luglio/pamplona/2/23.jpg

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Question is, why are they looking back? Run, run like you have never run before and don't look back! hehe

Yes, amen, it's definitely "feets don't fail me now!" time, there.

Originally posted by Tedster:

Originally posted by Dreamer:

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/07_Luglio/08/fdg/PAM_550x419_reuters.jpg

Just like a normal day of taking it up the ass where I work... :eek::freak::D
ROTFLMAO, Ted! :D (And some of youse udder guys. (No pun intended.)

That's one heck of a way to open up and say, "Ahhh" for a colonoscopy. I think I'll stick to eating several bowls of Colon Blow. :D

Looks like something SNL should've had Tyler from Appalachian Emergency Room partake in. He's always got something stuck up his a**.

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5105/tyler1hq.jpg

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well, being half Spanish, it's crazy, but tradition. Actually, when it started it was just a few local people who were, mostly, careful about it. Now, most people (who get hurt) are drunk tourists.

Just wanted to point that out before those "insane spaniards" arguments start flying ;)

Suicidal tradition.

So, exactly one half of you is Spanish?

Yeah, I was born in spain, my mother's spanish. My dad is German and I grew up in Germany, until I moved to the states when I started high school (I'm in college now).
Sorry, I just find it extremely amusing when peeps say they're "half" this or "half" that. I imagine your hands not being able to comprehend what your feet are telling them when you're putting your socks in the morning. Not YOURS specifically, but you get the idea... Not trying to be insulting, I just think it's funny.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

I know for a fact that there are spaniards who are not drunk and stupid, just like any other race.

In Florida, there are alot of caucasians who inbreed and attempt to turn AMC pacers into 4 wheel drive

Well, Spanish isn't really a race...it's a nationality.....but I get your drift....there are some that are not both drunk and stupid. :D

The thing I don't get is the relationship between inbreeding, Florida, and 4wd AMC Pacers. :eek: And...there are a LOT of people in Florida that do this? What part of Florida? Where do they get all the AMC Pacers? You don't really see a lot of those around any more. :confused:

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Picker:

yze, climbing mountains and chasing/being chased by bulls anywhere just for bragging rights are definitely optional (if not downright unnatural) acts for a human being. I can't see one being much different than the other, really; y'all pays yo' money and y'all takes yo' chance with both, among others.

Some unnatural acts (wearing clothes, being nice to people, etc and so on) are a service to society. Climbing mountains, chasing bulls, etc. etc., are for the pleasure of the climber/chaser/whatever. If you wanna do that sort of thing, more power to ya. Me, I can think of things I'd rather do than freeze my toes and fingers off for the sheer pleasure of getting higher above sea level than most folks ever do, or running down a street in a foreign country to show that I am man enough to take a bull's horn up the backside.

We're supposed to be nice ??? :confused::eek::D

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Sorry, I just find it extremely amusing when peeps say they're "half" this or "half" that. I imagine your hands not being able to comprehend what your feet are telling them when you're putting your socks in the morning. Not YOURS specifically, but you get the idea... Not trying to be insulting, I just think it's funny.

Well, my mom was a Yeti and my dad was a Sasquatch. (Dad was overseas in the service when he heard the mating yelp). What does that make me?

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/07_Luglio/13/fdg/BULLS.jpg

Two miura bulls entering the Pamplona arena at the end of the encierro.

Archived