Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I've gone back to using...

Sleaze_Disease

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not...but you've got my curiosity aroused, so I will be trying them now.

I use Jim Dunlop USA's in L, M, H, and Fender Palms in XH. I seem to go through less of these particular models than others I've tried over the years. I trash 20 to 30 picks a night gigging, mostly Lights, with a half-dozen Mediums thrown in. Of the 60 songs we'll play, I'll use Lights for 30 of them. I learned a long time ago to adapt my heavy picking style to lighter picks in the name of saving strings.

I'll pick up some Ultex Rhino's, tomorrow. I'll let you know later what I think.

Thanks for the tip. ;)

Kerry

Hmmm...Geeze, I don't know what to tell ya Starcaster. The few nylons I tried back when they first became available were just too limp for me...even the heavy's, so I've never revisited them. I'd love nothing better than to find an all day sucker. I'm hoping they've changed, and that the 1.14 Ultex that Sleaze turned me onto is salvation.

Fumbly...I've never known it to be any other way. All of the groups I've ever been in have used 2-hour sets as selling points to the clubs. That's 15 songs an hour. The patrons love it, therefore the club owners love it, therefore it pays better. The shortest playlist I've ever had was maybe 55 songs, which was seldom enough to get through the job without repeating, or, doing a couple of songs that had been scratched from the past. Last time I added it up, which has been a while, my repertoire' was over 1,500 songs. Roughly half is performing material, the other half is stuff you couldn't play in clubs, or genre' specific stuff that I learned so I could teach myself a style I had never tried. That's over a 30 year period, mind you.

I've never performed a Country song live in my life, and probably never will, but I've spent the last 3 years teaching myself the picking styles of the greatest Country shredders ever...and I'm not even close to being done with that trip.

Aside from that, I've tried to learn no less than 2 to 3 new gigging songs a week, since forever. Some months, it's been 6 to 10 a week.

I'm your real deal junkie...I guess. I just fu*king love playing. :)

Kerry

What Musiciansfriend says about Dunlop 426P Ultex Rounded Triangle Picks:

Combines flexibility and monstrous attack for everything from a guttural bark to intricate, floating trills.

The distance between thought and execution just vanished. Think it, and your fingers are already doing it because your pick isn't holding you back. Deeply responsive, with limitless bite and snap, the revolutionary Ultex lets you feel the strings right through the pick.

Blues

Unmatched dynamic range gives up raw squeal, bittersweet bends, and everything in between. Silky contours let you color your notes by varying pick angle.

Acoustic

Added snap and clarity slices through dense bend mixes. Reel off your most intricate picking patterns at blinding speed, thanks to smooth, flawless edges.

Rock

Radical material stands up to vicious pick slides and power chords, but delivers every nuance of that head-spinning solo. Perfect resilience means pure, intense tone with zero warping.

Jazz

Heightened sensitivity lets you feel your picking position, freeing you to focus on your next note. Add subtle shading to your parts with precise control over attack.

Like to play it cool? Super clean string release defines individual notes, adding shine to melodic lines, while smooth contoured edges let you work the whole pick for expressive tones. Looking to burn up the fretboard? These little devils won't melt at up to 800 degrees, so bring it on.

This is it, that one simple thing that can ignite your playing the Ultex pick. Dig in and grind, then jump to delicate, fluttering lines. Impossibly hard yet absolutely responsive, these picks will reveal every flicker of emotion in your playing and still add brutal bite to the heaviest power cord you can unleash. They're also virtually indestructible, hanging tough through countless pick slide, windmills, and other insanity. The revolutionary Ultex material telegraphs the slightest contact, giving you an almost intuitive feel for the strings. With unprecedented resilience and snap, its release is so clean that individual notes sing out and artificial harmonics can be fired off at will. Practically weightless, with flawless, silky edges, Ultex doesn't emulate anything. It is what it is: the most versatile, expressive pick ever made. Whether you're crying the blues, racing through flamenco runs, or throwing down monster riffs, these tequila-gold jewels will be your ultimate secret weapon.

Is any of this true? I dont think they say this much about their mixing boards or PA systems!

I have used the Ultex picks before, but never that thick. I think the ones I used were .73. I thought they worked like a pick is supposed to. I have yet to fall in love with a pick per se, but the Ultex picks were as good as any I ever tried.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Yes the 1.14 Ultex is my favourite pick for quite a while now.

I did manage to get a bag of these today though I didn't find the triangular picks of the same type.

I like it so far.

Archived