Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NOT EVEN SLINKY HELP

Bckenstler

hey, i use not even slinky strings for a heavy deep metal sound on my guitar, and i was recently talking to a friend of mine who was concerned that the tension required to keep the high gage strings tight would slightly bend the neck. is this possible? if so is there a way i can prevent it? i've been using these strings for at least two months and i can't see anything wrong with the neck so far

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, welcome to the forum.

Second off, tell your friend to have a nice dive into a nearby pond.

Seriously, the tension will have an effect on the neck...and the neck should be adjusted accordingly.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to "not even Slinky". I know what Ernie Ball Slinkys are..normally in certain guages. Put a set of 10s on there...unless you're way downtuned, and then you can go with a heavier set. Have your favorite guitar tech set up the truss rod and you're good to go.

Truss rods do require some seasonal maintenance. It's something that, if you learn how (and you will eventually) you can do yourself...but for now, have an experienced guitar tech do it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Okay, I looked up the "not even Slinky" set...apparently, a heavier-guage string designed to give proper tension when playing detuned a whole step or more. .012-.056.

Actually, even if you did tune to standard pitch with those, they shouldn't cause any problems. Guitar players for years have been using heavier guage strings for one reason or another. And if you're downtuned a whole step, they should feel fine...at least I would think so.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If you're downtuned they are really okay, even loose. My son has used 13s before and downtuned. Think of it this way, 13s are std on acoustic guitars for normal tuning.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived