Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying an amp -- opinions?

JRob95

Well I've been a guitar player for like 2 and a half years. I have a ibanez Artcore guitar, and around 300 dollars in my dresser. I previously own a 30 dollar 15W yamaha amp that broke, and I just need something with more punch. I'm looking for around a 50 watt machine, since I won't be playing alone in my bedroom anymore, I'm going to be playing in my garage with my band. A couple of effects would be nice too. I'll end up putting more money into foot pedals later on (when I get a job :/)

Anyway, I'm looking for some "expert" opinions on what kind of amp I should look for. Any specific models that anybody here has bought that they would recommend? I like playing punk, metal, and plain old rock. (Zeppelin, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rancid, stuff like that)

Help would be greatly appreciated. Note I only have around 300 to spend.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't be able to get a really nice 50 watt amp for 300 bucks. Probably the best thing to do would be either to look for used equipment or save some more.

But from what you've suggested, I cannot say in confidence what type of amp would be perfect for you. For that price range, the Marshall AVT50 (around $400) is nice. I think it sounds much better than the larger AVT series amps, and you'll be able to get a punk or metal out tone out of it. It also has a handful of effects if I'm not mistaking.

The next best thing would be to look for a used amp in the shops, but even then, you're still not going to be getting what you need on that budget.

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is about 300-400 used, but you won't get quite the sound you need for metal out of it, but for punk it'd be sweet. That amp is full tube, meaning it operates on old-school valve technology instead of newer digital or even analog solid-state technology.

In the way of digital amps, You could check out the Line 6 Spider II used for probably around 300. New, I cannot remember how much they cost, but they sound pretty good, and you'll be able to play over a band with it easily. My friend just got one, he's into similar stuff as you, and he really likes his.

Shut up and play.

Blues Jr, Ampeg Jet, Orange has some small SS amps as does Vox that should be around your price range.

I wouldn't worry about matching a kind of amp to a kind of style. Just get the best amp you can that sounds good to you. Amp, Pickups, (guitar), effects all contribute to getting a sound--- and I'm a guy that says it all is in your fingers, it is or at least it starts there, I don't want this statement too look like I'm backing away from my feelings about "finger embrochure".

At $300 you're not going to get a lot of bells and whistles (certainly not many on a good amp), so I'd not factor in to the descision too much about which amp has more features. At your price point I'd say get a good amp and for "features" just buy pedals when you save the money for them.

If you had a higher budget I'd be saying very different stuff BTW.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I got the Hot Rod Deluxe a few months ago for about $500.00. I have some demos recorded using it (click the link on my sig). Most of the stuff I have is clean but if you check out "Train, Train" and the "E Minor" jam, I'm cranking it with the distortion.

Of course, you should go to a music store and try one out for yourself.

Yeah the hotrod is a cool amp, or the Peavey Classic.

I recommend looking for a used amp. If it is taken care of it will be fine. Just play through it first.

I remember I had a really cool combo (could have been made cooler with a vintage 30) called the Peavey Bravo. It was a channel switching amp and it could get brutal amounts of pre gain. It had a tube preamp and a solid state power section if I remember right. It had the old Rockmaster preamp.

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone here, $300 is kind of a gray area for finding a good amp. $500 will get you a Fender Blues Jr. which is a really nice amp. In my opinion everything in the $100-$300 range is really about the same quality, even though a more expensive one may have more features, the basic sound isn't going to be much better.

Its in the $500-$1000 range that the really good sounds for a decent price amps fall. I think most amp manufacturers really focus on this price point and most working musicians can find an amp in this price range that will do the job. I would hate to recommend a $300 amp only to have you outgrow it really fast.

Like others said, you might get lucky and get a Peavy Classic 30 used at this price. Its a great sounding little amp and is plenty loud enough for small clubs. It probably doesn't do metal without a pedal but you can always add that fairly cheap.

Try this... I put it up against a couple of Line 6/100wt solid states....and it held it's own... I couldn't be happier...

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116335/number/00583150/cat/67/begin/1/Classic%AE+30%2F112.cfm

You can find them cheaper...check E-bay and guitar stores around you. I paid $300 for mine.

I have a Behringer V-Ampire that's loaded with Metal tones, enough effects for a casual effects user, 9 reverbs, and a noise gate that you can pick up on eBay for under $200 and at a Guitar Center for $300! It's on the quieter side of 60 watts, especially on cleaner sounds, but you can't beat the value!

See if you can find a good used line 6 FlexTone II. Tons of power at around 100 watts and all the built in modeling and effects you could ever use. It has 2 12 inch Black Widow speakers and sounds great! One of THESE: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/amps015.jpg

TOP VIEW of EFFECTS: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/amps016.jpg

I bought an Ibanez Tone Blaster 50 watt amp for 250 dollars when I was playing as long as you were. I found it was a great amp with good versatility. It is great for playing all the bands you mentioned, I have played along with many of their records on it. You should definatly check it out.

http://www.ibanez.com/accessories/spec.asp?m=7

thanks guys, I appreciate the help

I think I might be able to save up to around 400 dollars before my bandmates start whining.

It all comes down to going to the store and testing some amps out, im thinking.

Archived