Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Derek Trucks and others

bluenote420

Just recently I began listening to Derek Trucks, the blues-slide guitarist that was featured in guitar player not too long ago. Let's just say I was completely wowed by his awesome tone and style, the way he just made it sing! The sad thing is, I prolly never would have heard of him until guitar player featured him. Does anyone know of any other really good blues-slide guitarists that are not well-known? If so I'd like to hear about them so I can go to Amazon.com and stock up, lol. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome bluenote...

Well, let's see.....There's Duane Allman, and then there is....hummmmmmmmmm. Let me think....Ahhhhhhhh, welllllll. Give me a minute here.....

Ah, I'll get back to you in a bit. :D;)

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Bonnie Raitt (although she doesn't feature her guitar playing that much...), Warren Hayes (Allman's and Government Mule).

I'm sure others will chime in with better examples for you shortly.

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

Give Ry Cooder a listen, although it's hard to classify him 'Blues'... David Lindley also...but same story with him... Joe Walsh... Clapton... Doc Watson... Keb Mo... My favorite is Bonnie Raitt...She just has "IT"...for a white/woman/blues singer....

PS Speaking of Derek Trucks...any word on all the equipment stolen from his trailor?

Thanks for the welcomes! Anyway, I own a couple of of the Gov't Mule and Allman Brothers already, but I checked out Dave Hole and Johnny Winter and liked them. I didn't know Bonnie Raitt really did a hole lot of guitar work, I'll have to give her a closer listen... Oh, and Rampdog: There's a list on the Truck's Band's site that shows how much of the equipment they have found or replaced, and it looks like they're well on their way to finding most of it.

IMO, electric slide is extremely hard to master, and it's very difficult to make sound good. That's what continues to blow me away about Duane Allman...he sounded so "right".

I've always thought acoustic guitars were more condusive to slide work....roots/blues.

Oh, and one of my fav's on acoustic slide is Leo Kottke.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003Z91/qid=1152043237/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/104-6114729-1647119?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Check out Vasoline Machine Gun. The man's an animal fingerstylist!

Don

Don

Download this immediately:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Derek Trucks Band LIVE in NYC 1-11-\'04

Two hours of excellent music right there, definitely raising the bar, no pun in ten did. This was my first real introduction to what Derek trucks is all about, and he immediately became one of my all-time very favorite guitarists; love his tone!

If you haven't yet, be sure to get the Allman Brothers' The Fillmore Concerts, an excellent remixed/remastered/expanded/repackaging of the classic-classic double-live rock-album, Live at Fillmore East. (And all of the remixing, remastering, expanding, and repackaging was done by no less than Tom Dowd, the guy who put the original all together in the first place, and was savvy enough to have kept notes on the event and all the tracks all these years...

Johnny Winter was absolutely scary when I saw him break out his old Firebird and a slide and fingerpicks back a good fifteen years or so ago; he smokes, I can't believe that his fretboard doesn't need the burn-ward ICU after a gig...

Bob Brozman has long been a scholar, champion, torch-bearer, educator, and damn fine player of a myriad of slide-guitar styles and genres, including but not limited to Delta Blues and Hawaiian Slack-Key.

If you want to hear something completely unlike anybody else on slide guitar, check out jazz slider David Tronzo.

And, Sonny Landreth is nothing less than amazing in his abilities, he gets tones and does things that I never heard before, beautiful incandenscent, overdriven harmonic-overtone feedback tones, like on the version of his song, "Congo Square", on South of I-10.

Do you play any slide, bluenote420?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Wow, bummer!

Sorry, one way or 'nother that one's expired or gone extinct on us.

Well, when I eventually (and hopefully successfully) retrieve the contents of my smoke 'n' heat damaged hard-drive, I'll see what I can do about providing that boot for anyone who wants it. (I know I sure do; the one 'n' only CD that I burned of it got ruined somehow after I loaned it out to someone who didn't even check it out!)

Maybe someone else who got it from there before (on Diamond Dust's 20 best Blues Show boots-thread) could host 'n' post it for a while? Hmmmnn?

So, Bro' JJ- whats this Spoon-in-mouth skide deal ya posted a link to? I can't do any downloading here 'n' now...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

So, Bro' JJ- whats this Spoon-in-mouth skide deal ya posted a link to? I can't do any downloading here 'n' now...
It's some dude playing slide guitar with a spoon in his mouth. Just something kinda neat and out of the ordinary. I guess it would allow him to use all four fingers on the fretboard, though. :freak:

I've always thought acoustic guitars were more condusive to slide work....roots/blues.

Oh, and one of my fav's on acoustic slide is Leo Kottke.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003Z91/qid=1152043237/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/104-6114729-1647119?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Check out Vasoline Machine Gun. The man's an animal fingerstylist!

Don

I love Leo, his technique and knowledge was still limited on the first album but I think had only played for like 4 years prior.

He has improved technically throughout his career to enable him to write more progressive and complex material.

I saw him in 94' and it totally adjusted my sail. I bought a 12 string that month and started to try and play like him. Of course I fell short.

As for his slide playing, he has always been awesome playing solo acoustic AND slide. He always carries a strong melody with it and it sounds percussive. He is like if Eddie was a solo 12 string acoustic player.

If you ever get a chance to see him live, I recommend it. Last time he was in Ann Arbor I wanted to go with my chic but I couldn't afford it. I had a wedding to go to..

I will go next time around. He is better live than the CD's. I recommend Essential Leo Kottke to people who haven't heard him. That one suite on there is awesome. That was the first CD I heard and i loved it.

6/12 string guitars is great too, more raw and simple.

There are plenty of other finger style players out there as well like Adrian Legg, Doyle Dykes, Tuck Anders, Tommy Emanuel.

Kottke has style, the most difficult 'sounding' piece he plays has to be Oddball, or Airproofing.

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Derek is one of THE most innovative guitarists to come in a while

I think Derek is a MASTER of of the slide guitar, but I'm not sure how innovative he is especially compared to someone like Sonny Landreth who really does some uniques things such as fretting notes behind the slide.

And we mustn't forget Ry Cooder. Did you ever hear "Lipstick Sunset" from the John Hiatt album called (I think "Bring The Family")?

There is a guy named Dave Tronzo whose jazz stuff on slide is quite interesting. Scott Colby was experimenting with fingering behind the slide way back when.. I wonder what HE's doing these days! His "Slide of Hand" cassette was very creative!

And David Lindley's lap steel has always been great. I admit I still love "Runnin' on Empty"!

Beisdes the original blues cats like Fred MacDowell, Bukka White, Son House & Muddy Waters...plus Robert Nighthawk, the little known but absolutely blistering J B Hutto & the truly phenomenal but neglected Earl Hooker (who like me, played slide in standard tuning :thu: ) there are a lot of cats to check.

From the folk/blues side of things there's Bob Brozman & David Bromberg, both fantastic & with both solo albums & session credits.

More modern...& a bit less bluesy... is Ben Harper.

More modern blues/rock cats include Jesse Ed Davis, who played on many of Taj Mahal's early records plus some by John Lennon & George Harrison.

It's quite likely that Davis taught Harrison much about slide & if nothing else a listen to his version of "Statesboro Blues" tells you something about who Duane Allman listened to...

There's also Junior Brown & Robert Randolph, two pedal steel players who are a bit blues-tinged.

There's was a generally neglected bandleader circa 1960s~1980s named Captain Beefheart who had his roots in the blues & many of his albums feature some stunning slide work from several players, most notably Bill Harkleroad.

Though I recently posted about him, I can't pass up the mention of Lowell George who's work wasn't just blues but definitely had it's source there.

Lowell George thread

Without any doubt he was one of the most distinctive slide players you'll hear.

Archived