Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For those interested (from the "Covers" thread)

Griffinator

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah nice job, yes on the vocal,a little more work with the phrasing I would like to see it a little closer to the phrasing of the original going into the bridge especially,more accent and presence on those bridge chords. It's just screaming for some nice lead work in there, love to see another guitar part added, a couple of well placed dives etc. Nice effort and a great choice in covers ...congrats! :thu:

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

Hey Griff, sounds good.....nice choice of cover.

What is the recording setup...are those Event 20/20 BAS's I see in the background?

Those 20/20's (from my old avatar pic ;) ) belong to a very good friend I engineered a country demo :eek: for a few years ago. My current rig consists of little more than a Rode NT2, a cheapy Yamaha MG series mixer, an EMU 1212M, Sonar Producer 5, FL Studio 6, and Guitar Rig Pro II. I've still got some cash to lay out, but it won't be long before I'm fully 24-track simultaneous capable, with the recent addition (thanks to aforementioned friend) of an Alesis HD24, and my plans to add on a MOTU firewire unit (gives me the 24 ADAT channels I need to dump from the Alesis...) and 3 Octopres, to serve as a front end for the whole mess. Then, on to mics! (Joy! :rolleyes: )

(edit) Oh yeah - my monitoring system - lol - An Onkyo 5000M power amp and a pair of JBL S38 II's - been my foundational monitoring system for years, although an amplifier upgrade is definitely in the works.

Ellwood: Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. The lead work is definitely something we need to go back and do - I actually have some stuff plotted out - some nasty a.h.'s and speed runs for the back end of the bridges, plus our other guitarist is cooking up a nasty little solo for the reggae break.

Griff, this is awesome. The way to do your shows is to arrange a few covers to your bands style

What you do is play a cover and then with no break - launch right into an original which is close in feel/groove to the cover. then stop and announce the name of the original and what album, etc . .

Never announce that you are about to lay an original, because people have this knee jerk instinct to "tune out" originals and go take a piss, play pool/darts/ get a beer, etc. . .

Always announce the original after the fact and after a cover customized to the bands sound

In the reggae section, if you are calling your chords on the upbeat of the 8th, then have the drummer experiment with putting the snare on 2 & 4 for the main groove and use the recorded snare pattern to "break things up"

Also,tighten up your reggae rhythm with snappier more dramatic dampening "stabs" at times and use the feel you have already recorded to "loosen it up" a little bit

Very interesting arrangement

I would pay money for it :D:thu:

yZe - I totally agree - if you're going to play original material at all, you need to either tailor your cover list to your original stuff, or you need to MAKE the songs sound like you. I'm a proponent of the latter.. ;)

Neil, that's cool, metal ain't for everyone - just those of us who are either openly or latently po'ed all the time! :D

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Never announce that you are about to lay an original, because people have this knee jerk instinct to "tune out" originals and go take a piss, play pool/darts/ get a beer, etc. . .

THANK YOU!!! I used to get so pissed at the people in my band, because whenever they'd bug to do an original and I complied, they'd be up at the mic hollering "AND THIS IS ONE TED WROTE!!!" And I'd be like AAAAGGGHGHHH!!! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! I mean, if you play it and don't make a big deal about it beforehand, and people don't react or dig it, it's not so bad. But if you do, and people act disinterested, it's like a punch in the gut. Much better to announce it as an original if and only if people react to it in a positive way.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

THANK YOU!!! I used to get so pissed at the people in my band, because whenever they'd bug to do an original and I complied, they'd be up at the mic hollering "AND THIS IS ONE TED WROTE!!!" And I'd be like AAAAGGGHGHHH!!! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! [/QB]

Is there some latent anger you'd like to talk about, Ted? :D

Originally posted by Tedster:

...Much better to announce it as an original if and only if people react to it in a positive way.

OR, if they react in a negative way, you can distance the rest of the band from from the writer; "Yeah, well, that's one that Ted wrote(rolls eyes)". :P

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived