Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Better to sound new�than sound good�???

miroslav

So if you get Electronic Musicianyou may have noticed in the July issue the interview with producer Dave Pensadowhere he makes some extreme statements, and give some harsh criticism amid at the old-school producers.

Its better to sound new than to sound good.

Thats his cutting edge perspective.

I found his comments a bit on the snooty side. And while he has a long list of big-name creditsI cant help but notice that most of his work is based around the same formula and mostly the same style of music

so I really dont get where he feels he is always putting out stuff that sounds new???

If he had said its better to sound new and goodthen to just sound goodI would agree.

But to just sound newand not worry about sounding goodwell, that isnt going to last very long, now is it?

Unless of course the idea is to just churn out a lot of crappy new stuff at a rapid pace so that no one has any time to notice that its not all that good.

Its easy for someone like Pensado to have those pissing-against-the-wind viewpoints, because hes in his grooveand most of his productions, are done using the same formula, so it tends to snowball and its hard to do bad, once you are on a roll.

Im just concerned that those kinds of sentiments end up breeding distaste and a lack of concern for perfection, or even considering perfection.

Just keep churning out stuff that has a big momentary flashand them move on to something else. :rolleyes:

How do you approach your music?

Do you just worry about keeping it fresh, even if it isnt all that goodor do prefer perfection to flash-in-the-pan?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The music idustry sucks. They believe that what they think is good is what everyone shuold be listening to. They are trying to shove their collective commercial crap down our throat. I enjoy all kinds of new music. Some of what I like you may think sucks and that's okay with me.The mentality of "We both can't be wrong so I must be right" just doesn't fly. Everyone has their own taste in music right? I love to hear someone male or female that can play DAMN good guitar and I appreciate their talent and their efforts even if other players don't. Sometimes you need to take a good long listen to another stlye of music with an open mind before you disregard it as a waste of time.

Slightly OT but our family visits Sante Fe every year to go to the art galleries. We talk to the gallery owners and they pretty much say the same thing, they have to have new product to be able to keep customers interest. The key is that it has to be different. They wish they could always just sell the quality work but they have to always be on the lookout for the next big thing, just like the music industry has too.

Originally posted by miroslav:

If he had said its better to sound new and goodthen to just sound goodI would agree.

But to just sound newand not worry about sounding goodwell, that isnt going to last very long, now is it?

I agree. New and good is always going to be worth something. For the most part, I just strive for "good" and hope to achieve it. :)

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

Archived