Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Canada Day!

Shoes

Well it's birthday time for Canada once again and while there's still 10 hours left until we celebrate 139 years trapped in an identity crisis... we can think of Sir Sandford Fleming.

With his thanx... somewhere in the world now it is tomorrow and we're likely part of their yesterday.

We Forumites know all too well the implications of communicating globally and why some of use just can't respond in a timely fashion.

So... if yer not Canadian or simply can't raise a beer in honour of us... just think about what it would be like to have no friggin' idea of what time it was.

Look at yer watch... have a drink and follow the sun.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Consider one raised from hereabouts, Gals.Bl.; a Molson, chasin' a makesift poutine made with leftover Burger King fries...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Happy Canada Day All!!

I'll be standing up with the wedding party and playing guitar at my sister's wedding tomorrow for the big day. So far the weather is calling for thunder storms so I hope that the tent they rented will keep everyone dry and also hope I don't get zapped by any stray lightning!!

Then we get to raise up the cold ones at the reception!!

Cheers!!

Jason

Originally posted by owen's hound:

Yup, we're cottage country all right. There are many city folk en route as we speak.

What places did you play?

I can't remember the name of the club...I played in hundreds of towns throughout cottage country. Some of the club names get fuzzy after a while. What are the clubs in Owen Sound?

Well, there aren't any 'clubs' so to speak but there is Summerfolk there every September, some resturaunt/bars that have live music like Jazzmyn's, Norma Jean's, East Side Mario's, The Harb, Jason's Pub/The Coach Inn and a few newer places. When I played with a cover band, we played all of these places (except I didn't play Jason's Pub/The Coach Inn).

It was through a seven year period between 1989 and 1996.

The load in door is what I remember the most. It was at the very end of the club and was floor level from the inside, but six feet in the air from the outside. The place looked like it could have been a bowling alley once. It was long and narrow.

Happy Canada Day!

I'll always think of Canada Day, 2001 at this time of year. I was on a tour bus. First time into Canada to work, crossing at the far east end of North Dakota. We'd finished a show and just barely made the midnight deadline. The border was open all night but immigration was open until 12am.

The agent on duty kept three of us company while the tour manager drove our bus driver to a motel in ND. Canadian officials wouldn't allow him entry and wouldn't say why. (Unless he wanted to know, at which time they would've taken him into custody! Ain't touring fun! :rolleyes: ) The closest hotel was full up, none of the three of us at immigration had our cell phones on us, and they had no phone number for immigration. (I didn't know the tour manager's phone number. It was programmed in my phone. :freak: ) The bass player was our relief bus driver, thank goodness.

So Ms. Immigration official kept us busy (and vice versa) an hour and a half past the time she was to be on her way home. She told us about Canada Day, gave us Canadian flag pins and we had a good time until the tour bus returned.

"Oh, Ca..nadaaaaaaa. da da da dada daaaaaa..." :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by owen's hound:

Hey A String,

I have heard of Hourglass but not the Downing Band. I was out of the Owen Sound area for quite a while so must have missed you playing locally.

Are Hourglass still playing?

Hourglass still plays all the time. great bunch of guys and worth seeing if they are ever playing in your area.

Originally posted by A String:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Hey! You know more of the National Anthem then a lot of Canadian folks I know! :D
:D

Actually, I used to know it really well. In the Dark Ages we had a Commodore64 computer. One of our favorite games was called Summer Games. After each event the winner's anthem would be played. (In the best Casiotone type sounds available!) My best friend knew the words to the Canadian anthem (At least as much as the game played. A line or two. :D ) so he always played as Canada. We heard a lot of that anthem... :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by A String:

Hey! You know more of the National Anthem then a lot of Canadian folks I know! :D
:D

Actually, I used to know it really well. In the Dark Ages we had a Commodore64 computer. One of our favorite games was called Summer Games. After each event the winner's anthem would be played. (In the best Casiotone type sounds available!) My best friend knew the words to the Canadian anthem (At least as much as the game played. A line or two. :D ) so he always played as Canada. We heard a lot of that anthem... :D

I used to have that very game. Man, they don't make games like those anymore.

Happy Canada Day to all our brethren in the Great White North. I will raise a glass of Molson's and imagine I am sitting on Granville Island, looking out upon the water and downtown Vancouver. (One of my favorite places.)

Cheers!

John

Archived