Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do i get this tuning?

CaptainChaos

Alternative tuning; Open Db: Db-Ab-Db-Ab-Db-Db low to high

from standard tuning, from low to high:

* tune down the low E string to Db (3 half-steps down)

* tune down the A string to Ab (1 half-step down)

* tune down the D string to Db (1 half-step down)

* tune up the G string to Ab (1 half-step up)

* tune up the B string to Db (2 half-steps up)

* tune down the high E string to Db (3 half-steps down), so that the two strings are the same

I've tried doing it but i dont sound right but what is the b for? I think this has something to do with it...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For that to be an Open tuning it'd have to have a 3rd... It only has roots and fifths.... Its a bit of a strange one! It is similar to D5 tuning which is DADDAD.

Open Db would be as Craig described above.

But anyhow those instructions you have posted should have done the trick to get you into that tuning.. Although i'd advise not tuning your B string up and instead having it Db Ab Db Db Ab Db... The string can probably take the extra strain but I personally prefer to tune down if possible.

The easiest way to get Db Ab Db Db Ab Db from standard tuning would be:

Tune your 6th string down so it matches the fourth fret of your 5th string.

Tune your 4th string down so it matches your 6th string.

Tune your 3rd string down until it matches your 4th string.

Tune your 1st string down so it matches your 3rd string.

#You now have the 4 Db's

Tune your 5th string down so it matches the seventh fret on ANY of your Db strings.

Tune your 2nd string down so it matches your 5th string.

I've seen a DADADD tuning on lists of alternate tunings. It's a "power chord' on every fret, no third. The problem with that one's going to be the second string, it's far enough away from the B of standard tuning or the A of Open D to need a custom string gauge. DADAAD would be easier.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

O.K., the "b" is supposed to be a flat-sign, "b". That means that "Db" is "D flat", D flatted down a half-step.

Sharp, a half-step up, is "#"; flat, a half-step down, is "b".

You tuned to D A D A D D, not understanding the flat-sign, right?

If you follow those directions that you posted above to a "T", starting from "standard" tuning, you WILL get Db Ab Db Ab Db Db.

Must be for a specific tune by somebody, huh?

What is that, Da Damned Adult-Attention-Deficit-Disorder tuning or something? ;)

Normal Open-D tuning is (low to high) D A D F# A D.

So, Open Db- Open D flat- would be D flat - A flat - D flat - F - A flat - D flat, -or- Db Ab Db F Ab Db.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by TheOtherLee:

Originally posted by ND Bbach:

I use a really weird tuning no one else seems to use. EADGBE. :D

That sounds a bit wierd! You'd have to use your fingers to make a chord.

:D

Yeah, you'd be in serious danger of getting a hand cramp if you tried that tuning. :D

I've used this tuning numerous times. There are alot of Dashboard Confessional songs in this tuning. I couldn't tell you how to do it except use a tuner haha or if your pitchis good use the piano and your ears
I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third Dont hesitate to call

Originally posted by ND Bbach:

I use a really weird tuning no one else seems to use. EADGBE. :D

That's like, sick, man... :freak:

You need professional help.

I've been playing David Crosby and Graham Nash's "Lay Me Down" (a hauntingly cool tune)...it's in DGDGAD.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Man, one could live in Open-G (D G D G B D, lo-ta-hi); I know I easily could. Kinda the best of standard and open tunings combined across the fretboard, very easy to get a grip on, and easy to sound all exotic and modal-alternate-tuning-like, as well. Blues, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, rootsy, Stonesy stuff, country, metal, slide, you name it, it can do it.

I really dig Open-D, a lot like Open-G but a little less accessible and more aloof and moody and hardcore deep-delta sounding; but the trade-off here is more options for melody or voice-leading on the top-two strings. Also asily converted to either Open-Dminor or "DADGAD" with a half-step move on the 3rd-string's tuner, making it very versatile...

A true "alternate" tuning, Curtis Mayfield's "black keys" tuning, F# A# C# F# A# F# (each note coresponding to a "black key" on the piano), is mighty fine for a different path up 'n' down the fretboard.

Cool tuning; I used to tune a flat-top acoustic guitar to F-A-C-F-A-F (the same, but down a half-step), or E-G#-B-E-G#-E (down a whole-step). And sometimes a Strat-stylee axe.

Anybody here ever try that one, or its relative tunings?

It's been years, but I used that tuning to write and play a piece of my own that I called "The Haunted Water-Clock", that I can only recall parts of. I did that a lot, using too many alternate tunings and not documenting the fingerings of different tunes that were dependent upon them (or the tunings, for that matter) and forgetting a lot of them over time... Anybody else ever do that?

And... please, everyone, stop the madness: :D it makes me cringe when people say or type "alternative" instead of "alterNATE tuning" (the correct and actual term)... Sort of a hangover from the Seattle sales-slang days, I guess...

Kim Thayill & Chris Cornell in Soundgarden used some interesting tunings on "Superunknown" and "Badmotorfinger" records. I don't remember for sure what they were, but I do know that for at least those two records, they used very little standard tuning.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

While I personally maintain that standard tuning is the most useful in its adaptability, I do see that other tunings have their uses.

In this case I'd wonder if the multiple octaves & 5ths (& absence of any 3rd) indicate that this one is conceived for open string drones...?

It's a power-chords 'n' drones tuning, to be sure, but the possibilities offered by fingering chords (imagine that!) :eek::D yeild all kinds of minor, Major, what-have-you grips...

I wouldn't be without a standard-tuned axe, myself. But I do love getting lost in the change of scenery offered by open and alternate tunings.

Archived