Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you install this on your Strat?

Mike Gug

I want out of my tremolo bridge and I'm breaking strings at the bridge (high E and G) with my current cheap after-market bridge. Would you install this on your Franken-Strat, assuming you had one of course?

I can't really see a down side.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not on MY Strat, but if I had one I could modify without screwing the vintage value, I would consider it. But I'd never want to have a tremolo-less Strat. I think I'd try installing graphite saddles on your existing tremolo before getting rid of the tremolo. They're supposed to fix the string breakage problem.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I don't understand this bridge - does it have a block that's not shown - does it not have a block at all?

If it doesn't have a block then I wouldn't contemplate it because of loss of mass which I believe is a major component of my sound.

I'd go with the graphite saddles. I have a very old 60s brass bridge with a *huge* brass block on my FrankenStrat - it has a major effect on tone and doesn't break strings. I'm holding on to it.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

If you don't want to use the the trem, it's easier just to tighten the springs down all the way and put a wooden block in to keep it from moving. Why take a chance on paying good money to screw up the tone of the guitar by replacing the existing trem set up?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

If you don't want to use the the trem, it's easier just to tighten the springs down all the way and put a wooden block in to keep it from moving. Why take a chance on paying good money to screw up the tone of the guitar by replacing the existing trem set up?

+1

This setup keeps my American Standard in tune for days & didn't cost a thing.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Picker:

That's what I did to mine the day after I bought it. Remove the strings, tighten down the screws so they aren't suspended and put the strings back on. I never used a block of wood, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

I have 5 springs in mine and they are tight. The way I modified the trem arm so the guitar would stay in tune was to put it in a box and never touch it. I don't have a wood block either but the bridge is flush with the body so it doesn't move. The 5 tight springs give the Strat a little bit of intrinsic reverb also.
A.K.A. TRGuitar

<

If I'm seeing it correctly, it looks like its base plate is larger than a standard hardtail, thus it extends over & covers the trem cutout. Downside would be you need to add a new set of screw holes, which will have some effect on value if it ever needs to come off.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

get the graphtech saddles and forget about detremoloizing the guitar. if the bridge is tight to the body and you adjust the springs so you can do a whole tone bend on the high E without the trem pulling away. that is all the spring tension you need.

the fact it is a trem isn't causing string breakage.

one helpful point is grinding the forward edge of the base of the trem when the saddles are removed to lessen the string breaking point where the strings come out of the bridge.

I also feel that you should just tighten the spring-claw all the way in, use five springs, have the base-plate sit flush, flat against the body, and install Graph Tech saddles. To totally immobilize that whammy, block in the trem's inertia-block with a couple of pieces of maple, shaped like little wedges; place 'em on either side to block both downward and upward motion,

If it still has tuning-stability issues after that, and you're sure that it's properly strung-up, try either Teflon-gel lube in the nut-slots or a Graph Tech nut, and a Graph Tech string-tree retainer and locking-tuners like Sperzels or Schallers.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Is the stock strat trem the same as a Floyd Rose in dimensions?

I have a guitar with a Floyd Rose I'd love to get rid of, mostly because I don't like the looks, nor the PIA in changing strings. That stop tail would be the ticket.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Well, I'm gonna put 5 springs in and give it a wedgie. Also, my repair guy says that he likes and installs Ferraglide saddles. Steel saddles with a Graphite insert. $49 at Stew Mac. SOLD!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

My main guitar is a Clapton strat. It comes with a blocked tremolo, as you probably know. I decided a while back I wanted to use the tremolo, but could never get the stock bridge to work right. Then I got turned on to this: Callaham Tremolo

It is unbelievable. My guitar tech said it was the best "vintage" bridge assembly he's ever seen, and indeed it works as good as possible. Stays in tune, strings don't break, and the trem arm fits like a glove.

Highly recommended for any Strat. :thu:

Archived