Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Birthday

Scott Fraser

So yesterday was my birthday & since none of you bums got me anything I had to take myself to the guitar shop & do it myself. Brought home a PRS SE Custom with tremolo, cherry burst. I know some people will dis it because it's Korean, but I have to say it's easily the best crafted Korean guitar I've seen, & I've played & owned a bunch of them. Finish is flawless, neck is great, pickups sound full & detailed, although I may have to do something about the midrangy quack of the bridge pickup. Neck is wide & comfortable, easy to get around for a fingerpicker like me, maybe rough for a high speed shredder. I'm pleased, it took a few not-quite-happening LP clones to get to this result. So, happy birthday to me.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy belated birthday Scott! Sorry I missed the cake.

Actually, the reason you got the new PRS was because I willed it to be so with my famous g.a.s. witchcraft from a distance. ;)

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Happy Birthday!!! & congrats on the axe.

The British Mag 'Guitar & Bass' did a review on 2 of these this month - the Soapbar II Maple and the SE Custom - says the Soapbar is exceptional and the Custom excellent. Just a few points like tidying up the fret ends and the plastic nut.

All and all the report was highly favourable and more or less said the PRS SE Series has taken the Korean-built guitar to a new level.

Good choice.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

<< the Soapbar II Maple and the SE Custom - says the Soapbar is exceptional>>

I played the solid mahagony Soapbar briefly, but haven't seen a maple top version. I felt the maple top on the Custom added some nice tonal complexity & helped sustain. The all mahagony body actually felt maybe a bit too light. I like a bit more heft.

<< and the Custom excellent. Just a few points like tidying up the fret ends and the plastic nut.>>

Fret ends sticking out over the side of the fingerboard is my biggest pet peeve with any instrument. It will turn me off an axe in an instant, but the SE Custom frets are dressed immaculately. No problem there. I will need a slight polish job on them, though, since bends feel ever so slightly abrasive. Can't say I have an opinion on the nut yet.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived