Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got my SONAR Home Studio 4.0 today

Hardtail

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed it with no problems. I entered the long serial number required to use the product.

But... Now I had to register the product to get a "REGISTRATION NUMBER" or else I can't use the product past 30 days.

So... I did that and I'm getting info stating that the Serial Number I provided is already being used.

I wrote off a "nice" letter to customer support saying I better get a registration number for this product that I paid for.

In any case, minor inconvenience. Looks like I'm ready to go.

Not bad, for an Old Sock. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing02.gif

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

For me, it'll be a good tool to practice my improv. You know? Do some post playing analysis instead of playing and analyzing at the same time.

Helps to have some good background tracks too. ellwood gave me some great ones and I have others too.

"The Thrill Is Gone" is basically helping me remember all my pentatonic patterns across the neck.

I'm also trying to implement a few minor arpeggio sweeps (in this case B minor) but they're not up to speed yet and sound a little crudy. I'll keep working at them.

I also want to implement some double-stops and/or 3 note fragments.

Finally, I want to break away from the pentatonic a little more.. maybe lay down a B dorian here and there or some arpeggio sweeps that ascend a fragment of the B minor scale... etc.

The point is, a tool like this makes all this stuff easier to accomplish by playing, hearing, playing.... etc.

Originally posted by TheOtherLee:

Thats pretty cool hardtail!! But y'know it could use some whaAaAaAaAaAmMmMmMmy bar :D tehehehehehehe

My whacking on a whammy would be like you driving on the right hand side of the road... it would feel weird. :D

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Do you have a soundclick account? Have you been able to listen to other soundclick files from the other forum members here?

You can go here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=550508

But you still need to register to listen.

That's the first time I've ever been asked for a password! I'm able to listen to this link.

Nice tone! The rest of the band could come up in the mix a bit though.

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Do you have a soundclick account? Have you been able to listen to other soundclick files from the other forum members here?

You can go here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=550508

But you still need to register to listen.

That's the first time I've ever been asked for a password! I'm able to listen to this link.

Nice tone! The rest of the band could come up in the mix a bit though.

Can't explain soundclick's major malfunction but glad you finally got through.

Thanks for your input. I'm putting together another MP3 with the mix different from the first. Hopefully, the band stands out more in this one.

I'll keep the old one up for comparison. If you have the time, perhaps you could listen to this one?

The solo is different but well... it's the same. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=4131609&key=35CF7188-2

I like that solo, and mix, better. The solo has some really nice legato lines in it! The phrasing rocks.

Is the backing track already fully mixed? It's harder to place another instrument in when they are.

Yep it's fully mixed Picker, but I do have the original source tracks.

I like that solo, and mix, better. The solo has some really nice legato lines in it! The phrasing rocks.

Is the backing track already fully mixed? It's harder to place another instrument in when they are.

Thanks. The backing track is ellwood's band. He gave me a bunch of tracks on CD some month's ago.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Yep it's fully mixed Picker, but I do have the original source tracks.
They sound tight. Is that the band or are you playing everything?

Placing instruments into a mixed track can be tough. The soundstage has already been fixed and you can't eq the other instruments to sit with the new one(s). You have to find the right reverb and eq settings to make it sound like you're playing in the same enviroment. It's kinda like trying to photoshop someone into a picture taken under different lighting conditions.

It works for my purposes. I'm just interested in combining my track with a rhythm track in a recording s/w app to work on my improvisation. It doesn't have to sound perfect (... ultimately the notes I play just have to sound good).

ellwood and my little science project has been a success.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

sounds good Hardtail. nice backing tracks Lee.

how easy is the sonar Hardtail?

It's really easy. You just choose File --> Import --> Audio (the menu sequence) and it lets you import a file in a few different formats. I just stick to MP3. When you import that file, it goes into one track. This is how I brought in Lee's stuff.

My work is just done on another track. Hit record, Lee's stuff plays... and I try to keep up.

I paid about $100.00 USD for it. Like I said before though, I've yet to get a registration number for this thing because some other bozo out there has the same serial number as me. If I don't get a registration number in 30 days, I can't use it anymore.

I contacted customer support by email. I'll probably have to call them to square this away.

As far as recording my guitar, I'm mic'ing the amp using a USB mic. In the s/w for the track that's to be my guitar part, I set the properties in it to use the mic.

That's it... hit record.

If you don't want to mic and go direct instead, talk to A String. I think that's how he does his recordings.

Sounds very nice HT nice playing and nice overall sound. You have the guitar just in the right place...nice work.

I would like to see a sticky thread go up where we could post jam tracks and we could all have a go and post it back with our own solo on it...not for competetive reasons but just for fun and sharing ideas etc.

Any thoughts on that. I should imagine some people might be left out not having recording software but maybe it would inspire them to get it. There is free stuff for PC I am sure

Any thoughts on this.

Perhaps I should start a thread on this.

Archived