Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Les Paul aficionados

Bbach1

When Gibson uses the LE notation like Les Paul Standard LE (limited edition) does it mean an upgrade or a cheaper version of the standard? The reason I ask is because I've been in sales most of my life and the LE notation is often referred to by us as "less expensive".

I've been eyeing a Les Paul Standard LE and just wondering if any of you know if Gibson used the limited edition as an upgrade or downgrade.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the software DAW world ProTools LE is the Lite version of ProTools, & incorporates significant downgrades relative to the full blown version. However, that in no way relates to Gibson's naming process.

How does the price compare to a regular LP Standard? That should tell you right there.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

In the software DAW world ProTools LE is the Lite version of ProTools, & incorporates significant downgrades relative to the full blown version. However, that in no way relates to Gibson's naming process.

How does the price compare to a regular LP Standard? That should tell you right there.

Scott Fraser

In the RV business, LE's are a definate downgrade, usually indicating some downgrades, maybe cheaper axles. I'm suspecting the same thing in guitars but guess I'll have to do some more research. I was hoping for that "quick" answer from someone in the know. :D

bbach

What exactly is this particular "Les Paul Standard LE"?

Some Ltd.-Ed. LPs are on the cheaper but possibly still pretty cool side, such as the LP Studio Gem-series "Ruby" pictured in my avatar-image at the moment, for example: basically a LP Studio (no binding anywhere, gold-colored Gibson decal) with a special nitro-cellulose lacquer translucent "Ruby" top/"Ebony-Gloss" back and sides, gold hardware, and P-90 single-coils instead of the usual humbuckers.

Some are limited-production models that are different, maybe costlier (as well as pricier).

With all of these, you're gonna find stellar specimens, O.K. ones, and a few duds and lemons amongs the lot of 'em.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by jimash:

LP Studio Gem-series "Ruby"

Lovely. One of my secret GAS desires. maybe a blue one.

James-Italy had one, in Emerald green; guess he didn't like it too much after a while. It looked great in pics, but he described it as a "muddy puke-green" or something to that effect in real-life...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ok, I see it hiding with the Les Paul Standards.

The Limited Edition is, indeed, a minor step up for the Les Paul. But the only "tells" I see are the ebony fingerboard and the description of the translucent finishes over flamed maple tops.

Otherwise, I'm hard pressed to find any signifiacant differences. Several colors feature a black with silver top hat vol & tone knobs, but that's about it...

Oh! And metal button Kluson tuners...

I'm confused as to how the LE fits in with the Premium. :confused: This time they've really done it. Maybe they were so confused even they don't know where it fits in the line. (Hence the separation of the Les Paul Standard LE in the instrument menus on their site. ;):D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

At least for the sake of a sales tool for this model, Gibson does make it seem like a slight step up, like some kinda "limited" production. I don't know. They look just like regular standards for the most part. They do have the white binding over the translucent colors that really make the colors and the ebony fretboard stand out. I like em. Same alnico pups.

bbach

LE means:

we have no way of improving our product without pissing off all of our regular customers, so in order to compete with the other manufacturers who bring out new products we are now offering a slight decorative variation of our guitar.

that way you can't say we are not offering anything new.

Archived