Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Van halen....... why????

The Big G

If you weren't around when VH I first came out, it's hard to convey what everyone felt when they first listened to it (on turntables). Jaws dropped around the world... including mine.

If the younger people here don't get what was so big about him, chances are it's because they've heard his style copied ad nauseum for the last 28 years.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Requests for Van Halen covers?

That would be a hard thing to cover. Their sound is so unique with Michael Anthony singing that high voice, and Alex is a tough act to copy, not to mention the 2 tone Roth screams.

Big G, your age surprised me, I thought you would be younger. Well to each his own. Personally EVH is like the only rock player I always go back to. I never 'move on' like I have from so many others. He amazes me to this day because he sounds SOO MUCH LIKE HIMSELF. I think there have been 2 guys like this in rock. Hendrix and Van Halen. You can name a million others but these 2 guys really made a splash like nobody else.

I think Van Halen's music is awesome. Maybe you could make fun of the lyrics, but the music is pretty cool with tons of energy and style. Songs like Loss of Control, Secrets, Outta Love, Could this be Magic, Somebody Get me a doctor, are all totally unique songs with totally unique performances from everyone in the band. I think the opposite. To me they shine with musicianship and songs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Jygc5Z-BeA&search=van%20halen

this is a cool clip of Old Van Halen from 1979. They play awesome and put on a great show. Eddie plays some great solos.

As for punk music. To me it is too simpleton and the message gets cluttered in the image which is really more important than the music (kinda like hip hop). Like that movie SLC punk, at the end when he realizes that he is really a conformist by being a punk rocker.

Oh God, I could go on and on about this one.

First, most everyone I knew back in the 70's early 80's were absolutely in awe of his tone (and still are)!

It simply comes down to this for, I think, many of us: Eddie is a hero. He did what a lot of us thought we would like to be doing. He played a screaming guitar in a great band and looked like he had fun doing it, and he did it better than almost anyone at the time. With each new album, you would wonder what cool riff, goove or lick he would come up with next. He was cool.

Eddie's popularity came in large part because of the band's presence and his role in the band. He wasn't just a dazzling guitar player doing blinding runs and tricks over bass and drums. He wrote and played good songs. And he dazzled us with the leads and fills in between the riffs.

Eddie had a great package to offer at the time: good loud rock music, long hair, great band, cool guitar, awesome tone, new licks, dive-bomb tailpiece, airplay, ability to tour, master of the two-hand tapping...and so on. He put it together very well. He made such an impact that even though he is not at the forefront of poplar music today, as long as the people who recognize what he did are still around, you'll hear about him.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

To this day EVH is the only rock player that makes me think that he is an alien.

He has done SOOO MUCH!! I mean not only as a player but an inventor/innovator. Look at his early tone. Look at his simple guitars that he made himself. Look at how advanced and unique his taste was, at such an early age. He knew EXACTLY what he wanted at a young age, but made a path for himself to get there. He did it with Alex and the band, but Eddie was in his own boat.

The variac, I actually heard this was just a random thing he tried and it sounded cool so he kept it.

His feel is insane. Any decent player knows that to play a VH riff like Eddie requires very refined technique on more than one level. There are a million guys who can play a VH riff, but playing it like Eddie is a different story. He expends alot of energy when he plays and he is super dynamic using just the volume knob on his guitar (no tone knob cuz we all know that is worthless, Eddie knew this 30 yrs ago).

He gets such a huge tone out of using 009 guage strings with a thin pick.. That is mystifying sometimes when you listen to how huge an attack he has. I attribute this partly to his perfect hands.

He is the whole package for a modern rock guitarist. VH is old now and the fact that Roth is out of the mix ruins it for me.

His pick slides are so unique. Another thing that people don't realize when they discuss him as a player. All I ever hear about is his tapping.. Eddie Van Halen isn'7t about tapping, he is about rythm. Solos come secondary to the riff underneath. Personally I think his tapping stuff is cool, but it is such a gimmick compared to all the other great things he can do. Whenever he does a tap solo live unaccompanied I am bored. I want to hear him playing kickass pentatonics super fast like I'm the one!!

Keep in mind, in the 70's and 80's ALL of rocks legends acknowledged Eddie Van Halen including Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Frank Zappa, Allan Holdsworth.

Eddie Van Halen. Wow. To me the name just says SOOOO much. I love EVH's playing and that love grows as time passes. Originality is everything to me and Eddie IS electric guitar originality.

I can understand how younger players can be lost on EVH's greatness. But you really only have to understand that it was (is?) Eddie's APPROACH and FLAIR to the guitar not only as a solo instrument but also how the guitar fits in a band. And that flair and approach permeated everything Eddie did, from the way he pieced his guitar together to how he got his tone to the development of the Floyd Rose. Everything he did was unconventional.

When you get down to it, Eddie's stuff isn't that hard to play. But learn some riffs and you see that there's more than meets the ear. Go learn the opening riff to "Beautiful Girls". I've heard lots of guys play it right, but there's that flair that's missing. Its a hard quality to copy. Which is why Eddie is so freakin' great.

Van Halen ushered in a new sound and new attitude for guitar players. The players from the pre-VH era seem bland and boring in comparison. Only a Dutch-born guitarist from southern California could have changed things the way Eddie did. Van Halen's music smiled!

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

to really appreciate VH one has to listen to the albums. not just be exposed to the singles.

i believe those who haven't been into VH haven't heard the "other" songs. that is sad.

VH's best stuff was never the things you heard on the air or seen in videos.

when VH really broke we were in an age when less people discovered albums on the word of mouth or read about new music, we were getting exposed to it from videos and corporate hype.

the fact that they grew as big as they did is a testament to how great they really were.

not only did Ed and Alex have great technical abilities, but they has the fire and conviction of a raw punk band. something all the copycats never could duplicate.

they were not trying to be cool. they were having a blast.

and i must admit Dave had a way with words and his writing style filled in what was needed.

nothing is more unique that a VH tune.

i still remember the first interview with the "unknown" Eddie. it is cool to read it. because of the fact the interviewer is unaware of the how big this guy and band will eventually be.

When you say Eddie is a 1 trick pony I am baffled

A great musician can play anything they want to. If you look at the Roth era Van Halen you will see tons of diversity in the songs if you really listen to all the albums.

I find it hard to believe you have really givin it an honest listen-- I mean everything until 1984, for you to say Eddie Van Halen is a 1 trick pony. He pretty much lets you know from the first 4 albums he is a guitar players guitar player.

I would imagine if you asked Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton what they thought of EVH, they would all say the same shit as everyone else.

Or ask Steve Vai, Dweezil, Joe Satch, John Petrucci. My point is, I am fairly confident that anyone who is great at guitar will recognize EVH for what he was. Without EVH those guys I mentioned wouldn't be the same players they are today.

In a way not recognizing his importance is like not recognizing Wayne Gretzky or Michael Jordan as being dominant players of thier time and then wondering why they are so well known.

Yeah!

If you're not feeling EVH that is cool, but to "get" what the big deal is about him look at what heavy/hard/rock records came out after people had a chance to digest what he was doing versus before. heavy rock (in what ever flavor) doesn't have to be your thing (it realy ain't mine anymore) but literally everything in the 80's including "shred" has EVH as either the direct starting point/primary influence or as like half the picture.

I hate to "compare" the two, but it is similar to hendrix's influence. I'm not saying EVH altered the future of electric guitar as much as Hendrix did, but he is a similarly major turning point.

If they had made a record with Patti Smyth (the Good Bye To You one, not the Dancing Barefoot one) like when they considered her to replace DLR-- or even now--, man I wouldda liked to hear it.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by Squ:

Well, Big G, who are your favorite guitar players? Old and new? From the Gretch in your avatar you may not be interested in Van Halen-esque music.

Squ well my favourite "old player" would be Townsend, new would be Steve Craddock. Is Van Halen my favorite genre of music I would have to say no I like rock music but I am no great fan of what we call American rock. :)

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Requests for Van Halen covers?

That would be a hard thing to cover. Their sound is so unique with Michael Anthony singing that high voice, and Alex is a tough act to copy, not to mention the 2 tone Roth screams.

Big G, your age surprised me, I thought you would be younger. Well to each his own. Personally EVH is like the only rock player I always go back to. I never 'move on' like I have from so many others. He amazes me to this day because he sounds SOO MUCH LIKE HIMSELF. I think there have been 2 guys like this in rock. Hendrix and Van Halen. You can name a million others but these 2 guys really made a splash like nobody else.

I think Van Halen's music is awesome. Maybe you could make fun of the lyrics, but the music is pretty cool with tons of energy and style. Songs like Loss of Control, Secrets, Outta Love, Could this be Magic, Somebody Get me a doctor, are all totally unique songs with totally unique performances from everyone in the band. I think the opposite. To me they shine with musicianship and songs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Jygc5Z-BeA&search=van%20halen

this is a cool clip of Old Van Halen from 1979. They play awesome and put on a great show. Eddie plays some great solos.

As for punk music. To me it is too simpleton and the message gets cluttered in the image which is really more important than the music (kinda like hip hop). Like that movie SLC punk, at the end when he realizes that he is really a conformist by being a punk rocker.

Flag, I see this one has got you with the bit between your teeth :D , firstly mate I am no supporter of a lot of punk, I do feel that this was the musical movement in the Uk that broke the disco 70's thing, thats all.

I am asking the question because he does get a lot of plaudits and recognition but when I hear the music it leaves me pretty cold for whatever reason and becasue of that i wonder why he gets so many accolades. I do appreciate he can play and i do really mean play, but many can play but you would think the "whole" would be greater than the individual parts, but for me thats is not the case. But as I can see from your and many other posts he is a true guitar hero on your side of the water. I really do have to try to listen to it all again and see what I am missing if anything. That could be a long night (joking lads :D )

Nice to see you get ripped into a thread and a little of me :D:D But i appreciate your views, nice one. G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Flagship and Jedro nailed it - Eddie had style!

That's what it comes down to - attitude and flair. Sure he had mad chops. But it's his seat of the pants style that made him so enjoyable to listen to.

There have been a lot of better rock players since then but most of them aren't as fun to listen to IMHO.

I remember reading a GP interview from way back that was conducted as Eddie casually slapped together a guitar from parts for a performance less than an hour away. He had no other guitars on hand at the time!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

"Now in America yes I am sure they sat on top for a good while but in gods country (just a joke no religous overtone, dont delete me A ) there sucess was realtively short lived maybe a couple of years. So is this a culture thing or just another example of a big band not really converting what they do on one side of the water. That last statement goes both ways not aimed at VH only."

I think this would be a culture thing. When I was around 10-12 years old(1979-81), I lived in Spain. Over there, Queen and AC/DC were huge. When we moved back home in '81, I felt like AC/DC was just really hitting it big, and Queen was still enjoy success in the US with 'We Will Rock You'. Another arguement for the culture thing would be Def Leppard's new album 'Yeah!'. My wife listened to it and commented that she thought this was a bunch of songs that have influenced DL over the years, and she had never heard most of these songs. I explained to her that a lot of bands over the years that were huge in England never really caught on in the US, and vice versa. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

"Blizzard of Oz

and Diary Of A madman

RR was a fantastic player who incorporated classical flavours.

when you think of the time and what was being played, he was ahead of his time.

one solo that just rips is "Revelation mother earth".

not only was he a great soloist, he was a great writer and rythym player.

Randy did alot for metal.

the song "diary of a madman" is in a league of its own.

try to remember the years these recordings were released to really put it into perspective.

two awesome albums.

now just imagine what he would have achieved if he didn't pass away."

His playing was just fierce. He definitely had a huge impact in early metal. One of my favorite songs of Ozzy's with him, is 'Steal Away'. That is one of the coolest riffs!

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

The problem with Eddie, imo, is that after his initial success he stagnated, almost as though he had no vision beyond what was presented in his early work.

He didn't grow as an artist.

That may be related to his bouts with alcoholism, his fight with cancer or he may have simply been content but it's a shame that with his talent we define him not by his composition/songwrtiting periods but rather by who was singing with him.

The problem with Eddie, imo, is that after his initial success he stagnated, almost as though he had no vision beyond what was presented in his early work.

He didn't grow as an artist.

That may be related to his bouts with alcoholism, his fight with cancer or he may have simply been content but it's a shame that with his talent we define him not by his composition/songwrtiting periods but rather by who was singing with him.

I agree, it is really hard to judge someone accurate. When you hear EVH in his hey day and then you hear Van Hagar you just want to decide what he should have done or what he should do. The reality of it is he is just liek you or me. He is growing as a human, that may be about guitar or about family and other important things. I am a Van halen purist but I realize this. You really can't knock Eddie about anything EXCEPT switching to the 5150!!!! I will always knock him for that.

The 5150 is a fine amp, but Eddie needs power tube distortion to be his unpredictable self.

I think the 5150 is a metal amp.

The thing that has always impressed me about EVH was how easy he made it look. Like the guitar was an extension of his body. Though he had his influences like any other guitarist, he came up with a most unique sound and style. Yeah, Van Halen was a party rock band whose theme was just to go out and have a good time. No morbid lyrics or political statements, just party on! Though VH was never my most favorite band, I respect them and most of all EVH. They did get a little too "pop" for me as time went on and perhaps they began to use too much keyboard. After their "1984" album which, is to say the post-DLR years, they did fade somewhat. I wonder how much being married to Valerie B. had to do with this. Eddy has also gone through some major health issues. I would love to see him make a major comeback.

I think Eddie can do whatever he wants. We all worshipped him when we were kids so of course we want the old unpredictable Eddie with the best tone ever.

He has done so much and he is a human being.. You can't knock him for changing. I always rip on the Sammy era but those guys had families and lives beyond thier 20's I am just a selfish fart.

By the way, I will never give Eddie too much credit for VH heyday, it was a team effort and to me Alex, Dave and Mike were just as important. I know I am old news about VH but Alex is AWESOME!!

Fav drummers

Alex VH

Stewart Copeland

John Bonham

Jerry Gaskill

The guy who played on Jeff Buckley Dream Brother

OK but now it is time for a real VH reuinion!!! It is time, now or never.

All about style.

Originally posted by flagshipmile:

Bejeeber you didn't like em? I would have thought you would see Eddie as a God!!

Yeah I know, since we share a lot of the same tastes, but at the time that van Halen hit, I was so deep into stuff like the Dixie Dregs, Holdsworth with Bill Bruford, etc., and not really in the headspace for appreciating the likes of David Lee Roth, and generally where the band was coming from.

Literally where the band was coming from....y'see I was still living in the San Gabriel valley (Covina, blech!!) at the time, and although I knew some rock musicians who were pretty excited about this local Van Halen rock band that had been playing around for awhile becoming all famous and stuff, their material and stage strutting held no allure for me.

Side note: I can remember hearing EVH in the formative years crankin his geetar in the garage of a house just down the street - I was young myself and not playing yet, but could tell it wasn't sounding real great. But hey who sounds real great when they're first learning? (Years later a neighbor who played drums with him some in that garage told me that was EVH I had been hearing).

My tastes have broadened a LOT since then fortunately, and weirdly enough, I first realized EVH was a good player when I saw him improvising lead solos (I think with the house band between skits) on SNL when Valerie bertinelli was the guest host. :eek:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Archived