Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rare

memyselfandus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good question, and depends a lot on where you're posting from.

I'll explain... I've EPs by long defunct bands that got nowhere, CDs and casettes that I bought at gigs, all that sort of thing. The occasional "greatest hits" that's full of obscure stuff and sorta bootleggish stuff that may be obscure only because it's been packaged in some unusual way. For example, I have a bootleg of the Stones playing in Ft. Lauderdale in 1972. The label named it "Brown Sugar", but apparently there's LOTS of bootlegs of the same tour, perhaps even of the same date, only with different names. Technically, they're quite rare though I doubt they have much monetary or collectible value.

And there's stuff that's popular enough in some places but impossible to find on the other side of the world. Ever wonder about Ukranian pop stars? Well, their Ukranian hit records could be quite rare in Anchorage, couldn't they?

So "rare" is a pretty relative term, really.

I suppose the rarest CD I have is a rip of the cassette tape that John Butler used to sell as he was busking in Oz "Searching for Heritage". You can only get a copy if you know somebody who already has one :)

But yeah that has no monitary value, so is it rare?? Who knows... Depends what your definition of rare is. I have a couple of CD's of my own compositions and they most certainly are rare... as they are to bad to give to anybody else :D

Ive got a few 'rare' Jimi bootlegs.. Like blues at midnight.. But they are available to download in some seedy place on the net... So maybe not that rare.

I'm not sure which one's I have are rare. I have:

-"The White Album" in white vinyl.

- The Barenaked Ladies "Yellow Tape".

-Blind Faith's album with Ginger's daughter on the front (The one that was banned because she is topless and 12).

-Iron Maiden Picture Record that left to me by my best friend after he passed away. (It's cut into the shape of a devil with wings, sort of...)

-A Beatles 45' with an "Apple" label.

-Led Zeppelin III and Physical Graffiti, both with the picture changing covers.

-The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour with the booklet.

-The Steppin Wolf album where the whole thing is just them jamming and then suddenly breaking into "The Pusher".

And about a hundred others that I can't remember right now. I know there are a few in there that must be rare, but I figured records weren't worth much anymore and have just put them away.

Originally posted by A String:

I thought they were ALL like that? :confused: The Led Zep III one's got a sort of cardboard disk inside it, right? You spin it round to change the pictures? Is that the one?

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

I thought they were ALL like that? :confused: The Led Zep III one's got a sort of cardboard disk inside it, right? You spin it round to change the pictures? Is that the one?
Yes, but a few years after I bought it, they re-released it without the disk. You can still see the pics through the little windows, they just don't change anymore.

--Original copy of "Nevermind the Bollocks" on vinyl with the Submission sticker because they forgot to put the song on the back originally.

--I have a copy of the Dead Boy's "Night of the Living Dead Boys" on vinyl.

--Original copy of "Rocket to Russia" on vinyl.

--Original "Fear No Evil" by Grim Reaper album.

--On cd, I have "Fuck Frenzy" by the Meat Shits.

--Original copy of Poison's "Open Up and Say Ahh" with the banned cover.

There's more cool stuff, but I don't want to list a whole bunch.

Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

CD jewel boxes just aren't as cool as vinyl record covers, are they? And what's the point of picture disks when the disk is hidden away when playing?

I used to have a nice picturedisk of "Fishheads", and they'll never make anything like that again.

Hey, what were those "ripply" singles called? They were all the rage in about 1976. I'm talking about those singles where the vinyl wasn't flat, but went up and down like a little rollercoaster.

I have a New Bohemians tape labeled 1/500 that came out a year or two before they got signed. I have a couple other local bands tapes of things they did before they got signed also. I have an old record that a radio staion put out with several popular Dallas bands in the 70's or early 80's. I have a Zep bootleg of a concert the did in LA, I think it was a 2 record set but I only have one of them.

I don't know how rare they are but I have:

An original release of Badfinger's Straight Up on Apple.

A promo album by Johnny Cash for Victoria Station Restaurants.

Board tapes of Steppenwolf and The Fabulous Thunderbirds from a 1985 festival.

Several original release copies of Beatles Albums.

An original "Louie Louie" 45 :)

About 300 '78s in a wide range of genres and a 1907 Victrola to play 'em on.

While searching for the information for my Beatles White Album with the White vinyl, I came across a Beatles Collecting forum. They were discussing the rare albums they had on vinyl.

One person said "I hate to ask a stupid question, but what's vinyl?"

I feel really old and need to go get my shall. It's cold in here...

Originally posted by Squ:

You got spammed?

:confused:
This guys posting is very bot-like. You'll notice from: http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00049040 that he starts a lot of topics with a one liner and his url then never comes back to it. The funny thing is everyone seems to be ignoring his URL and turning it into an actual discussion, which is cool.

I'm just sick of bots... my message board is under attack right now. Granted, I don't require people to register or validate anything so I'm asking for it, but.. whew! You can see what I mean here

I have an orignal vinyl pressing of the 12" Fervor EP by Jason and the Nashville Scorchers on the Praxis record label.

When they were signed by a major label (Warner Brothers????) they redid the vocals, remixed most of the songs, added a cover of Dylan's "Absolutely Sweet Marie" and dropped "Nashville" from the band's name.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

-Pete Townshend's Who Came First in vinyl

-George Harrison's All Things Must Pass 3 LP vinyl, with the original "inserts", and that cool huge poster of Harrison, which I have framed and on the wall in my studio. My Beatles "white album" is black... that white one must be cool!

I've got about 200 vinyl LP's from late 60's and 70's......old Yes, ZZ Top, Allman Bro's, Ambrosia, I could go on and on....I'm pretty sure I wore the grooves thru on my Yes "Close to The Edge".....and Allman's Live at the Filmore, and Eat a Peach :thu:

I'm not so sure how "rare" any of there are, however.

I also have about 50 "rigid vinyl" on sided, 78 rpm records from my parents childhood collection. I've got them around here somewhere......

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I have a vinyl LP of Piper, which was Billy Squier's band BEFORE he went solo. I saw them several times, and they RIPPED!!

Also have several vinyl LP's by The Good Rats, who totally kicked ass. They SHOULD have made the big time......

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

forgive me for being uninformed, but what is a "bot"???

Educate me!!

Don

There are a lot of different types of "bots", but basically they all do the same thing. Bot is short for robot. It's basically a program that automates a process. In this case, you make up a list of sites you want to spam, you type a simple message and hit "GO". All the sites you have listed, receive the post.

You can have bots that are more automatic as well. Ones that surf around gathering information, like email addresses, etc.

I think they should be 2 vinyls, one is the first imported edition for Italy of Led Zeppelin III with a temporary cover that should have been given back to get the real one that had to be posted later, this bacause of the pressing requests for the just released record. Mine remained with the temporary monochrome cover, that's quite cool too. I was something like ten years old at that time....

The second is the first original english edition of Third Ear Band's Alchemy, that I got second hand from a guy with simpler musical tastes.

Some other weird stuff could be Stomu Yamashta's Red Buddha, a pure percussive recording on the impressionist-concrete side, with no resemblance of any sort of groove, that I found used in London's Camden Town's market, together with the original LegEnd by Henry Cow, it was around '79...I've never seen that Red Buddha anywhere else, it has a very cool label named "Egg" with a man that holds a huge spoonful to smash a giant boiled egg....

Then maybe a 45rpm single of "It's Five O'Clock" by the Aphrodites Child, but i lost the cover, and I'm not really sure where it is...

I have some other stuff that's maybe rare, but the stuff above was rare in the 70's too...

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

I've got the banned Poison "Open Up And Say Ahh", and Hurricane's "Slave To The Thrill" banned woman cover on cassette. I've also got Hurricane's "Over the Edge" on CD that I bought on ebay. Both Hurricane releases are out of print, and apparently fairly popular, as the prices on ebay are quite high. Having said all this, I don't think I have anything highly sought after or terribly 'rare'. But, at least with the two Hurricane releases, it's good music (to me anyway!).
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

Archived