Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

300 U.S.D. for pedals, what to buy...

spittle8

Yo! I got 300 back on my Line 6 Spider II warranty, and will be spending it at an upcoming Guitar Center sale. Here's the deal. I'm saving (just as soon as I can get a job, I need surgery first) for a B-52 AT-212 tube combo amp. I've played it on a handful of occassions, and it does two very important things that I would require in an affordable tube amp: Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Metallica. It can get crunchy metal, and SRV blues. Also, good cleans and rock tones.

So. I am looking for a wah pedal that can both do bluesy wah stuff, Hendrixian tones (optional), and metal wah pedal stuff. Next, I need a Tubescreamer type of pedal for SRV blues. I'm figuring an Ibanez (they don't sell Maxon at GC) Reissue Tubescreamer. Next, I need an overdrive pedal that can push heavy metal. Pantera, to Metallica, to Alice in Chains, to System of a Down, and so on. Then, I assume I'll need a compression pedal, or some such pedal to control the noise level of these pedals.

Currently, I'm thinking as follows: A Dunlop 535Q Cry Baby. It's more versatile than the average Cry Baby, and price isn't an object (as long as it's under 300). A TS Reissue. It's better manufactured (approaching Maxon levels?) than the standard Tubescreamer, and should sound much better. As for a metal overdrive pedal, I haven't a clue. My best bet is a Zakk Wylde OD pedal, which I trust must kick ass. A 30 dollar Surf & Turf compression pedal sounds adequate. Any advice at all? ANYTHING relevent would be greatly appreciated; opinions, comments, suggestions, anything. I need advice. Thank you.

Henry Kissinger ist der Ubermensch

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure if GC carries them or not, but you could try a Budda Wah. I like mine quite a bit - true bypass and good tone for about $150. The Fulltone is also nice. For distortion, try the Hot British, Fulltone OCD, or even a Boss DS-1. For Overdrive try a tubescreamer or a Fulltone Full-Drive.

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

I've tried almost every wah out there. My current favorite is the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Jimi-Hendrix-WahWah-Effects-Pedal?sku=151213

I tried the Clyde, and was not crazy about it. I have a Budda Wah, and it's very good. I just got my Cry Baby 535Q today (thanks Ellwood! :thu: ). I haven't plugged it in yet.

I'd strongly suggest you try the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for overdriven metal sound. Played thru a clean loud amp, it's pure Metallica.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-MT2-Metal-Zone-Effects-Pedal?sku=151328

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Mdrs, your very welcome! I'm very sure you are going to really like it. Be patient and work with the side knob settings and soon you will discover that for each setting the throw on the peddle will be more or less reactive but the tone variations between the settings are very dissimilar. I suggest if you want to use the boost function on the bottom that about 50 percent gain will be about as much as you will want to use. There is a functional relationship between the tone of each and the amount of boost you choose, boost past the 50 percent level will add in my opinion too much compression to any of the knobs settings and the tone curve goes in the wrong direction for my taste. Have fun and if you get a chance please do a gear review on it and put it on Lavaman's gear review website. I will post the link by bumping the original link again you will see it in the list of posts on the main page soon.

On Wahs:

If you're waiting for a GC sale, you're probably never going to get a good wah. I'm really not impressed with Dunlop wahs (and I tried a bunch). GC does carry Vox (my recommendation), but they generally only have the normal 847 in stock, which sucks tone like no tomorrow. They'll order 848s for you, but I don't know if you can get in on that for a sale. An 848 (Vox Clyde McCoy reissue) will set you back 150 beans, but oh how sweet it is: true bypass, 9V adaptor jack, and classic Vox tone. :)

On OD pedals:

The Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde pedal takes care of both of those. 2 channel, and it just sounds really sweet on both sides. Plus it looks cool Find these used in the 85-100 range. New, 150.

Archived