Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Poor dog gets battery acid thrown on him

GuitarPlayerFL

I wouldn't normally post something this off topic, but I hope the moderators will allow it.

I saw on the local news a story about a German Shepherd who was adopted from a shelter and found months later in a car near death...after somebody threw, what is now thought to be battery acid, on him. I was about in tears. :( The vet said the dog was probably in extreme pain when this happened according to the injury he saw. I'm going to help by donating.

I know a few of you are dog lovers and might want to help. I am not affiliated with the rescue organization, but I could not ignore this story.

I know if I ever found out who did this, I would end up in prison for what I would do to them. :mad:

Justice the German Shepherd

[EDIT - KCBS video link added]

Here's the link for the video page at KCBS

KCBS Video page

It's about the 3rd page (may change position) on the "Browse Videos" tab.

The title is: Dog Burned in South LA

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What appalls me (beyond the obvious) is that he was adopted from the South Central LA Animal Shelter by "an unknown person". What the hell does that mean?!? Unknown person. :confused:

I can't speak for the Nashville or surrounding county pounds, but to adopt from the Nashville Humane Society you have to provide proof of who you are and describe the living conditions, including other pets, etc. before being approved to adopt an animal. They certainly have records of who adopts animals.

If the South Central LA animal shelter hasn't the funds (as they say) to screen people, they shouldn't be adopting animals out. I hate to suggest this, but perhaps these animals would be better off being put out of their misery than to be handed to anyone who walks in the door. I wonder how many animals in that area have been adopted as food for other animals, as practice for fighting dogs, etc.

The actions of the shelter that adopted the dog out are inexcusable.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I always hate to hear about cases like this. We had a rash of them for a couple of years around here...then I guess these sickos found out that they are going to be charged with a felony when they got caught and it sort of settled down a little. We had dogs and cats set on fire, a dog tied to a tree behind it's house (by a neighbor) and shot several times..it's absolutely sickening.

I'm not an animal rights whacko or PETA member or HSUS member or anything like that...I do eat meat and I hunt. But I absolutely do NOT agree with torturing or abusing animals or causing them undue discomfort or pain. When I hunt I take clean, quick, humane kills only, or I just don't pull the trigger. I DO NOT want to cause any creature to suffer. I cannot fathom how some demented freak can take pleasure in doing so by throwing acid on an animal or setting it on fire.

It makes me so angry, that I'm afraid I would completely wig out and do something unthinkable and terrible to a human if I caught them doing something like that to an animal....two wrongs don't make a right. It's best I don't ever catch anyone doing it. To me, anyone that would intentionally torture or abuse an animal will do the same to a child given the chance.

God help anyone I ever catch abusing a child. There WILL be a homicide...guaranteed. In that case I won't care how many wrongs it takes to make a right.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I hate sick fucks like that. Delighting in another creature's pain and suffering is the sign of a sick piece of slime that lays underneath urinals in dirty public toilets.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have 17 dogs at last count (this morning @ 4:30) - never met a dog I didn't like.
"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

That's horrifying! Anyone that sick deserves to be put away for life - just a matter of time 'till they'd wanna see how human flesh burns - revolting!
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I never understand how people can be cruel to animals that way, especially when they bring them home themselves. If you don't want a pet, fine, don't get one. Torturing an animal like is likely a sign of a developing sociopath, one who might turn into a serial murderer. people like that need to be registered and forced into treatment and life-long monitoring, for the safety of us all.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by TheOtherLee:

Im a bit sceptical in general. Is this real? Just checking its not a scam.... I suppose if you saw it on the news its likely to be real.. You just never can tell these days.

Yes, it's real. :(

The footage was shown on local channels KCBS2 and KCAL9 (their sister station). And the link I got from the KCBS website.

These kind of stories make me more upset than almost any other. All the animal wanted was to be loved...instead he was owned by [words that would probably get me banned]. Hopefully, he'll now have a chance at a second life.

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by LPCustom:

There's something other than the dog's suffering here that bothers me, though. It's presented as fact that someone threw acid or something (could also have been a caustic base solution like caustic soda) on the dog.

This dog could have gotten injured out of his own curiosity.

....I'm saying that may not be the case. There are other ways this dog could have been injured that do not involve people being cruel to him.

An animal in extreme pain would not have the energy to load himself into a car (after supposedly tipping a vat of acid over)...and then just sit there abandoned.

This was definitely a sick fuq from South LA who did this. There are a lot of weirdos in LA who derive pleasure from doing things like this.

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Given that I just buried my dog a couple of weeks ago, this makes me sick.

Doesn't it?

Whoever did this is a miserable excuse for a human being. The only silver lining to this cloud is that, with all the publicity, they will probably have no trouble at all finding him a GOOD home now....he deserves it.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Good point, LP.

On the topic of deliberate abuse, there was a case of abuse against a small dog in the apartment complex I used to live in, a few miles from my current home.

Seems this guy was driving in the parking lot, approaching his own building when he witnessed two men, one holding a dog that looked like his dog. As he approached, the man holding the dog drop kicked it across the parking lot, killing it.

I just don't understand how anyone can be that cruel to such an animal. :mad:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I hate to see animals suffer so, I've sent a little something their way.

There's something other than the dog's suffering here that bothers me, though. It's presented as fact that someone threw acid or something (could also have been a caustic base solution like caustic soda) on the dog.

This dog could have gotten injured out of his own curiosity. A German Shepherd is a fairly large dog and can easily turn over objects that aren't completely stable. It's possible this dog turned over a container of caustic soda or acid onto himself while trying to get at something that interested him or smelled tasty to him.

I used to have a large black lab (Fred died in 1997 -- he was 14) that was very curious. One day he turned over a can of red lacquer paint onto himself while he was barking out the window in the garage (the garage was Fred's house) at the neighbor's new dog. He didn't sustain any long term injuries but he was decidedly unhappy about it (he bit the vet twice while she was cleaning him up). After that, I took the chemicals (including paint, caustic soda and battery acid) I had in the garage and put them into a steel cabinet so he (and my 7 year old son) couldn't get at them.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some strong emotions have been evoked because this dog was supposedly abused by people. I'm saying that may not be the case. There are other ways this dog could have been injured that do not involve people being cruel to him.

I am moved more by compassion for the animal than to exact revenge for him. I also don't expect the dog to know any better than to do what he does naturally. Sometimes that puts them in danger. But it's not their fault.

In the end, it's the fault of a human somewhere. Either it was malicious or it was thoughtless or careless to put dangerous chemicals where they could injure a curious animal. People who do things like that maliciously are, IMHO, sub-human and deserve a vicious caning. The other folks just need to be more careful.

You are right in that the dog's exposure to the chemical may not have been intentional. However, the fact remains that the dog was found abandoned in a car, nearly dead. That is, IMHO, intentional neglect. That dog should have been IMMEDIATELY transported to an emergency veterinary facility. Anything less than that is just as criminal as intentionally inflicting the injury. It doesn't matter if the owner could afford to take the dog to an emergency facility or not. You take the animal and get it treated, THEN work out payment. In all likelihood, the veterinarian would have treated the dog anyway, whether the owner could afford it or not. Besides, if you can't afford vet bills, you don't need to have the animal in the first place.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I'm not sure how it works in other communities, but here, they charge money to adopt. A substantial amount too.

$150 for a Kitten or Puppy and $100 for a cat or dog. This covers the neutering, microchip and also does a good job at keeping the crazy guys from adopting, just to cause the animal harm. It's actually more expensive to adopt then to buy from a store.

They also don't adopt animals around Halloween.

Originally posted by A String:

I'm not sure how it works in other communities, but here, they charge money to adopt. A substantial amount too.

$150 for a Kitten or Puppy and $100 for a cat or dog. This covers the neutering, microchip and also does a good job at keeping the crazy guys from adopting, just to cause the animal harm. It's actually more expensive to adopt then to buy from a store.

They also don't adopt animals around Halloween.

Here they charge about the same, or a little more. It's actually a bargain, if you think about it. That covers, as you said, microchipping (normally $75.00), shots ($40-$50), spay/neuter ($50-$100), treatment for external and internal parasites ($40-$50)....the dog or cat is actually free. To go to a pet store and buy a puppy, you're going to pay a minimum of $300.00. The pet stores around here normally only deal with purebred dogs, or specific mixes such as Peek-A-Poos.

To me, the best damned dog in the whole world is a "sooner" you get from the dog pound.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

The internet has really opened my eyes to how inhumane, humanity can be.

The worst thing I've encountered, was the documents from a court case I came across, while researching Hunter S. Thompson. I'll spare everyone the horrors that haunt me to this day, but suffice it to say, there were children involved.

I knew people could be twisted, but some of the things I've seen and read on the internet really make me just want to sit down and cry.

Originally posted by A String:

The internet has really opened my eyes to how inhumane, humanity can be.

The worst thing I've encountered, was the documents from a court case I came across, while researching Hunter S. Thompson. I'll spare everyone the horrors that haunt me to this day, but suffice it to say, there were children involved.

I knew people could be twisted, but some of the things I've seen and read on the internet really make me just want to sit down and cry.

I know exactly what you mean. I think to myself sometimes, how can people do that/say that/be like that? There's actually someone out there like that? There are some very sad things in this world.

I have no respect for animal abusers. How people can give pain to animals is horrible.

It's so sad I won't even dare look at the photos... :cry:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

It's amazing what people will do to animals.

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but when we got our first cat, the pet shop guy (he was too old to be a boy) told us the cat was free, but he made us buy all these accessories like a litter tray and a dish and a big bag of kitty litter for a total price of 20 euro, which is what vivisection labs pay for cats over here.

He said that people would often get free kittens from pet shops and private owners and sell them to the labs, so now he makes everyone spend 20 euro so there'd be no profit in taking cats to the labs.

Maybe the pounds should do something similar.

Over here if you get a dog from the pound, you have to pay about £200 also they visit your house to make sure you have enough space for a dog.. If you have any other pets they make you take them in to meet the new dog so they can see if they get on.. Its close to what you need to go through to adopt a baby. But people are always selling off animals in the local papers.. Or giving them away to friends.

Believe it or not you used to have to have a licence to own a dog over here.. But they stopped that after they got rabies under control.

My fiance was driving down a country road to work one moring and noticed the traffic was slowing right down at a certain point.. So she looked around and saw a little german shepherd puppy sitting quietly in big puddle in the middle of the road, all covered in crap with a lame foot (it was bent the wrong way)... People were just driving round it. So she stopped and put him in the car to take him to the pound (we had just got back from a stint of travelling so were staying with my mum, she didnt think my mum would want another dog in the house). It looks as if he had been thrown out of a moving vehicle. Anyway.. After being sent round three different places somebody finally took him, she then got home and realised that she had saved the little guy and wanted to bring him home. By the time we had got back to the pound to pick him up the woman behind the counter said "WELL! Back are you!?! You can take him if you want, but i've promised him to my daughter and if YOU want to TAKE HIM AWAY FROM A LITTLE GIRL, by all means do" Suffice to say we dont have a dog. Im not sure why i told you that or even if it has any point. :D

Believe it or not you used to have to have a licence to own a dog over here.. But they stopped that after they got rabies under control.

Still have dog licences here. They actually send out a letter, demanding payment each year, once you register them the first time. It's an annual fee of $50 unless you get your dog fixed, then it's an annual fee of $25.

There used to be a charge for owning a "Dangerous Breed", but I don't think they charge it anymore. Instead, they just recently passed a law, banning pitbulls.

You get charged annually? Thats a bit harsh! Why did they ban pittbulls? I didnt realise they were classed as a dangerous breed :confused:

Pitbulls can most assuredly be a very dangerous breed. It depends largely upon how they are raised, of course, but still not a breed that I would consider a responsible choice around small children.

To be fair to the breed, most of the problems arise from inbred idiots that breed and raise them for dog fighting (the breed's origin, hence the name "Pit Bull"), or simply torment them as pups to make them "mean". I've known several Pitbulls that were just sweet old lapdogs, but I've also known some that were absolutely frighteningly vicious.

Many places in the U.S. have passed laws banning possession of Pitbulls. The problem is that, no matter how well-behaved they are, they have the instinct to fight bred into them. It may be very unlikely for a particular dog to be triggered to attack, but if it does happen, the results are much more devastating than with other breeds of dogs. Pitbulls are very powerful and tenacious dogs. When the "fight" instinct is triggered, they are programmed by their breeding to kill.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Archived