Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New guitar suggestions for my guitarist...

alexclaber

Hopefully this won't be too annoyingly vague... My guitarist is going shopping next weekend for a new guitar, and will be starting his search at GAK in Brighton ( www.gak.co.uk ).

He's been playing a very cheap Les Paul copy for years, though on occasion he borrows a friend's vintage Strat, and prefers to play through a Roland Jazz Chorus but he's not too fussy and uses whatever's available. He also uses a small Korg multi-FX though is intending to upgrade that to something nicer with more control and amp modelling to make recording easier.

His intention is to just go and play lots of guitars in the £300-£400 price range and pick the one he likes best - seems logical! Any suggestions on what he should definitely try out?

To put things in context, it's him playing on the first two MySpace clips. I think they were recorded on the vintage Strat but I can't be 100% sure...

Thanks for any assistance!

Alex

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schecter C-1 Classic is a beautiful and very versatile guitar. There's lots of choices though, what kind of music do you guys play?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Listening to the first two clips, I'd suggest a Strat stylee for that Reggae Funk thing going on. However, it appears that Fenders are a little pricey at GAK. You might consider

This Yamaha

I haven't seen this model in the states, but it looks good and Yamaha have a good rep.

That being said, what he TRULY needs to do is sit down and play every guitr that catches his fancy. Even similar Strats will feel and play different.

Good Luck, wish I could go Guitar shopping. :D

Lynn G

Originally posted by Pappy P:

People will jump all over me for this, so let's just keep this between me and you.

(looks over his shoulder, no one around).

(whipsers)

Yamaha AES620

It's a right grand guitar.

Ladies and Gentlemen can I please introduce a Yamaha sponsored player who we all know as

"PAPPY P"

what kind of deal you on Pappy??? it must be good, you plug them well. :D:D:D

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

I say Alex should create a diversion and his guitarist should grab a Ric and run for the door ... :D:D:D

I can't get MySpace here at work ("Big Brother" is blocking it), but from what I remember of the songs the bass is fairly predominant so something with a more trebly, jangly sound that doesn't interfere with the bass would be best.

The strat might do it, but don't use anything larger than a 20W amp. :D

As a close second, I too would vote for "the guitar in Big G's avatar". :cool:

my guitar instructor has a yamaha very similar to the one pictured.. not sure if its the exact same or not but it sounds great when he plays it...he plays all sorts of styles with it as well so it appears to be pretty versitle...
Eat a Peach for Peace..........

Thanks for the assistance gentlemen! There is such an excess to choose from, so much easier going bass shopping.

I'd quite like him to get a Strat, I've always liked the way they mesh with my tone/playing on the bass. Any thoughts on the '50s/'60s Strats or the Lite Ash Strat?

Alex

Actually I don't really recommend that yamaha, I've tried it in the yamaha retail shop before, and the sound was really thin, and I plugged it into a few amps. There was some connection problem at the input jack too. Was rather disappointed by it. My pick would be a Godin Freeway Classic if he wants one that can do it all. The tone of that guitar, to me, is way way better than the yamaha.

Pier.

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Listening to the first two clips, I'd suggest a Strat stylee for that Reggae Funk thing going on. However, it appears that Fenders are a little pricey at GAK. You might consider

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

Alex...

Like the MIM Fender basses, it's tough to go wrong with the MIM Fender guitars. They're just a good value and sound for the money.

Sure, like the basses, some of them need a little tweaking--some people like to put "hot rails" stacked humbuckers in the bridge position, change the nut for a graphite one and add locking tuners--but even right off the shelf, they're pretty darn sweet. They may not have the mojo of a real vintage strat, but they're more than workable instruments that can be made to sound pretty much any way you'd like with very little work. Plus, you can aesthetically customize them very inexpensively...

So...

I'm gonna add my silly two cents and recommend a MIM Strat or Tele. It's pretty hard to go wrong with either one.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived