Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: How hard is it to cancel AOL?

Hardtail

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cancelling AOL is only half the problem. The other half is tracking down and deleting all the footprints their software leaves on your computer.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

As Bbach said, it's the mess they leave behind on your computer that is the real problem. Any time I've had to help someone clean up a computer that has previously had AOL on it, it's been a huge ordeal. AOL weaves itself into all kinds of places. It's very much like a virus.

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

I'm due to do a fresh install soon but I've just been too unmotivated to do it thus far. It's an all day job.

Get a copy of "Ghost". It allows you to make a clone copy of your system and burn it to a CD or DVD.

What you do is install your operating system, add the drivers, do all of the upgrades and set the settings the way you like. Then, use "Ghost" to make a bootable, disk image. When you are done, set it aside.

The next time you want to format, simply dig out the Ghost image and pop it in. It will format and restore the system to the way it was in about ten minutes.

It like having one of those "recovery CDs" they give out with brand name computers, only it's set up for your computer and done just the way you want it.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

True, but I've done mine numerous times to excise a glitch.

I used to occassionally reformat my hdd and do a clean install just to eliminate the clutter that happens over time. However, the last couple times, MS has given me trouble. My copy of Windows will not activate and I have to call in. It was a genuine hassle waiting for a live person to get the os going again.

bbach

Originally posted by A String:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

I'm due to do a fresh install soon but I've just been too unmotivated to do it thus far. It's an all day job.

Get a copy of "Ghost". It allows you to make a clone copy of your system and burn it to a CD or DVD.

What you do is install your operating system, add the drivers, do all of the upgrades and set the settings the way you like. Then, use "Ghost" to make a bootable, disk image. When you are done, set it aside.

The next time you want to format, simply dig out the Ghost image and pop it in. It will format and restore the system to the way it was in about ten minutes.

It like having one of those "recovery CDs" they give out with brand name computers, only it's set up for your computer and done just the way you want it.

I use cloning software as well. The only problem is that I've updated the clone on occassion to save all the additions and changes I've made and then it does not work as a recovery disk because it has cloned all the clutter as well. I should be keeping a clone of the system after a fresh reformat.

bbach

Yes, I always keep a fresh install, a copy with my hardware installed and a current copy, stored on a rewritable. The fresh install is for when I want to go right back because I have added new hardware, the "hardware installed" copy is for normal formats and the current copy is a back up in case I have problems and want to restore it to it current set up.

Great! I'm about ready to get rid of AOL, too. :rolleyes:

We've used it for dial-up service. My family also keeps an account active as online only. You can't use AOL's dial-in numbers for access or they charge you a dollar a minute. We do this because my brother was a charter member. It costs a pittance to keep email addys we've used for 13 years or more. So long as you have another dial or highspeed portal, you can access them online.

But our regular dial-up has to go in favor of some kind of high speed connection. My wife is ready to throw the computer out the window when dealing with most anything online these days.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

My ex hates my Mac? She thinks she will have better luck with a PC! hehe She won' take the time to learn the Mac so no doubt she will cause herself the same prob with the PC! hehe

I recommend Macs to my older customers (And relatives) because they are so user friendly. If your Ex is having trouble with a Mac, she's not going to fix her problem by switching to a PC.

My ex hates my Mac? She thinks she will have better luck with a PC! hehe She won' take the time to learn the Mac so no doubt she will cause herself the same prob with the PC! hehe

I recommend Macs to my older customers (And relatives) because they are so user friendly. If your Ex is having trouble with a Mac, she's not going to fix her problem by switching to a PC.
Exactly! :D

I tatally agree! AOL SUCKS! Arg they irritate me I still have straglers left on my computer from when I had it, boo.
I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third Dont hesitate to call

Windows XP has a System Restore feature that allows you to return your computer to the exact condition it was in on a specific date and time. It only deals with systems files and applications, so your data is never touched.

At regular intervals, whenever a major change is made and also at any point you choose, XP will create a "Restore Point" which can be recovered to whenever you choose. If you install software that can't be uninstalled or get a virus that can't be removed, this feature can help you return the computer to a usable state. TO find out more, go to START, HELP & SUPPORT. On the right side, select UNDO CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER WITH SYSTEM RESTORE.

You should also keep up-to-date backups of your data.

I'm definitely going to visit an Apple Store this weekend. I'm not saying I'm going to buy one anytime soon if at all; I just want to see what's so cool about them.

Archived