Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mac Computers

Hardtail

I really sym[athize with fumbly.

I too have a digi 001 and havve faced most of the same problems.

Unti the other night, I was running it on an antique PowerMAc 9600. ( G4@700Mz but very slow bussing)

Ironically, even thoughh my own projects were plagued, when someone else was recording and I just engineered, no probs.

I have never gotten it to run right in OSX.

IF you want to you have to have a partition to run PAnther and like you say sort out the QT versions and plug versions that work.

But on my G4 1.2g in OS 9 PT5.2 32 seems to run well.

Last night I dialed up a twenty track project.

It already had a stereo D-verb, many digidesign Comp and EQ plugs, real time Mic modeling, Pultech, etc.

I ran up another 6 D-verbs before the CPU hit the red zone.

Then I tweaked some stuff. MEmmory allocations etc. and made sure I was using the righ DAE. CPU load much lower now,

I expect this to work well.

I often try out a plug-in in RTAS and If I like the reulrts I chooose the AudioSuite version and burn it in. Saves resources.

At some point I will try to get it wotking on a PAnther partition annd take it up to 6.2 or whatever.

Again I sympathize.

I didn't want to shell out the 1100$ and find myself underpowered again either.

But... the way it resonds like real equipment, and the way it interfaces with my analog equipment is priceless.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That may very well be, but with the 2.5 Gig systems, carrying a price tag of $3,999.00 CND, it also comes with a CADILLAC price.

YA gotta shop.

I just picked up a refurbed G5 dual 2g.

$1499.

Added 2g of ram and a 2556mb ATI card, Still less than 2k..

Still need a #2 Hard drive.

This is a screaming system for my day job which is video editing and motion graphics,

Now if I can just get my typing straight......

Originally posted by jimash:

That may very well be, but with the 2.5 Gig systems, carrying a price tag of $3,999.00 CND, it also comes with a CADILLAC price.

YA gotta shop.

I just picked up a refurbed G5 dual 2g.

$1499.

Added 2g of ram and a 2556mb ATI card, Still less than 2k..

Still need a #2 Hard drive.

This is a screaming system for my day job which is video editing and motion graphics,

Now if I can just get my typing straight......

The $3999CND price tag was for the 2.5 Gig. I went with that one on the quote because it was closest to the 2.9 Gig I'm currently running.

Either way, this current system was $300. I have no problem with crashing, adware or viruses because I know what I'm doing with settings and I surf safely. I can't see any reason to pay ten times the price for the exact same system, just because it's idiot proof.

(Please don't read any offence to the term idiot proof. I'm just using it to refer to the Mac's ability to be extremely user friendly.)

Yeah Jimash is that not the truth about PT,,,that is responds like real equipment.....that is why I am hooked.

I wont change my Pro Tools but I may go windows PC for audio only and keep my Mac for graphics stuff, photo and video editing and surfing the web. this way I have the best of both worlds.

Don't change your OS 9 setup and don't lose your PT5...if it does not work you want to be able to get back to where you were in 5

Originally posted by Fumblyfingers:

I may go windows PC for audio only and keep my Mac for graphics stuff, photo and video editing and surfing the web. this way I have the best of both worlds.

This isn't a bad idea. It's always best to go with a dedicated system when you set up a studio computer.

The $3999CND price tag was for the 2.5 Gig. I went with that one on the quote because it was closest to the 2.9 Gig I'm currently running.

Maybe you are comparing apples and oranges.

for $300 you have a single 2.9g.

The mac is at least a dual 2.5g (perhaps a quad)

Unless you are rendering hours of video like I do it might be overkill.

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the inner working of Macs. But the one that I posted was 2.5 Gigs of processing power, comprised of two 1.25 Gig processors.

Really, I guess my main point is, Macs are expensive! Other then the stability and lack of viruses (Which I can achieve through proper set up and safe surfing on a PC), what do you get for all of that extra cash?

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the inner working of Macs. But the one that I posted was 2.5 Gigs of processing power, comprised of two 1.25 Gig processors.

That is a 3 year old model. Quite good. Today used or refurbed $1200.

Really, I guess my main point is, Macs are expensive!

Expensive , reliable, upgradeable. User serviceable.

I know at least three people whose PC's are scragged.

The G4 sat on my desk and ran for four and a half years without a down day except when I upgraded trhe Cpu Video card, DVDR

and Harddrives all of which took 10 minutes each. (sligh t exageration)

My brother is a computer scientist who runs giant IBM mainframes and Sun systems.

After he sat down at the G4 he went home and bought two.

A lot of it is hardware. But I just traded a 6 yr old mac laptop for a $300-500 bass. Until a year ago I used it for all of my graphic design business.

However, hardware is hardware. But if you want the mac os and all the sweet little programs that come with it, and you want to run windows, too, then you'll have to get the mac book or mac book pro. If you get it and are not happy you can always send it to me! :D

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

<>

I do, although I never agreed with that assessment. I've never hooked a MIDI device up to my DP rig, & I know people who do their MIDI work in PT. There's nothing that PT does as an audio recorder that DP doesn't do. And in some cases, such as editing & bounce to disk, DP actually does some stuff that PT doesn't.

<>

Well, that's the thing. A DAW is complex enough that you don't want to have to do the work required to get good again, if you've already acquired the skills on one machine. It's like learning a foreign language. If you get fluent in Italian, & it took several years & trips to Italy, the last thing you want to now is take on Korean.

<>

I believe that's true, although an awareness of the corporate policies at Digidesign is needed to have been able to make that determination. Planned obsolesence seems to be part of the Digidesign strategy to a greater extent than with other DAW companies.

<>

DP wouldn't be quite that much, but it's the time. How much is anybody's time worth & how many more major software releases can any of us absorb?

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived