Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pay Pal tactic

Tone Taster

Check this out.

They charge a percentage of the total, right?

I'm not sure if ebay does, too other than their upcharges for "buy it now" and the like, but . . .

USPS COD's have been working like a charm

WHat you do is package up your item before putting it up

Get the weight price and COD price first

Have them pay the shipping/COD charge as one price through paypal

Paypal gets their 3% of just the shipping, not the grand total

You got your shipping costs so you are not out in case they don't pick it up at the post office

Now you collect the full sale amount

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done a lot of purchases...and a number of sales...and I never had any "money" issues with PayPal.

They never "held" my money...etc.

Of course...as far as the eBay/Paypal charges...

...well, it's THEIR business...they can charge whatever they like...right?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

PayPal may be "handy" and convienent. But, make no bones about it.... They are a "for profit" outfit. In my book, they are just like the credit card companies....making money off of others, and too often allowing some to get into debt too easily.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Paypal are evil. I have read the user agreement... twice. You are liable to get screwed at any point they wish. Also if they believe you have breached the very thorough (and biased) agreement they can freeze your account and charge you a large amount of money for the pleasure of breaching the contract, which is an amount decided by paypal on how they believe it affected their name and/or finances. If you really need to sell alot of stuff you need a merchant account, the percentages or only generally more if you sell on a small scale or are piggy backing of somebody elses merchant account (i.e. they process the payments on your behalf, ive seen a few companies offering this service which is really a similar service to paypal anyway). Paypal arent legally a bank so they bypass quite alot of the regulations dealing with banking.

Originally posted by jimash:

I've had nothing but good dealings and utter convenience w/ PAyPAl.

THat's true and I believe you, but look what could happen to you because of the way their contract is structured, so if you get burned, don't complain because you signed up for it

Originally posted by mdrs:

They are a "for profit" outfit.

Yep, most businesses are.

"free enterprise", baby. ;)

For aspiring entrepreneurs as myself, it's the greatest thing since Adam first laid eyes upon Eve. :cool:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Same here. They even recovered some money for me from a transaction gone bad.

Anyone in business has likely held a merchant account. Basically, it allows you to take credit cards from your customers. The merchant manager, sometimes a bank, sometimes an independent, takes a percentage of the credit sales from you. It's no different at all than PayPal except that you may be able to negotiate a lover rate, but unless you do volumes or deal in expensive stuff, it's not going to make much of a difference. There are also set up fees and sometimes monthly service fees with merchant accounts and even equipment rental charges. Don't think you won't have any troubles with those because you can.

I've had COD's gone bad as well. For example, some shippers won't accept cash, and I've had a customer give a bogus cashiers chk. The shipper told me it was my problem. At least with PayPal, you can file a claim. It's not that horrible. Basically though, you have to try to get lucky and find honest people to do business with. There is just some risk in life. I don't know how you can eliminate all the risk in life.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

...and too often allowing some to get into debt too easily.

I could never buy that...

When I hear/see that kind of statement or someone suggests that the CC Co.s *made* them do it...that they *made* it too easy for them to spend in excess...

...that's pretty much admitting that you have NO control of your own decision making, and you are just a puppet.

I think it's bullshit when people sign-up for a wallet full of CCs...and then turn around with this dumb-fuck "innocent" look and claim they didn't know what they were getting themselves into... :rolleyes:

10 years ago I had several CCs in my wallet and a nice chunk-O-debt.

Today I have several CCs and *0* debt.

I just stopped using them in excess of what my income could handle...and once the debt was gone, I decided NEVER to pay another penny of interest on any CC.

So now I use them as a convenience, and each month I pay off the balance.

When I start pushing my limit a bit...I just*DUH*...stop using them 'til my income permits! :thu:

Yeah right...the "evil" CC companies...

...that viewpoint just TOTALLY removes any sense of responsibility from the consumer! :mad:

Originally posted by miroslav:

...and too often allowing some to get into debt too easily.

I could never buy that...

When I hear/see that kind of statement or someone suggests that the CC Co.s *made* them do it...that they *made* it too easy for them to spend in excess...

...that's pretty much admitting that you have NO control of your own decision making, and you are just a puppet.

I think it's bullshit when people sign-up for a wallet full of CCs...and then turn around with this dumb-fuck "innocent" look and claim they didn't know what they were getting themselves into... :rolleyes:

Well said. ;)

Sometimes you just have to ignore that "carrot" swing'n in front of you.

It's all about discipline. If you don't have it you will pay the price.

Firstly, begin with the habit of paying that credit card off IN FULL each and every month. The first month you don't do that, CUT IT UP!

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by Bbach when I'm ready:

I've had COD's gone bad as well. For example, some shippers won't accept cash, and I've had a customer give a bogus cashiers chk.
But with USPS, you can do cash only at the post office

So if you use pay pal for just the shipping charges, and specify cash only, it's win-win

The problem with that scheme is finding agreeable buyers. I'll rarely bid on anything that I can't pay for with my credit card through PayPal. It's got to be something I REALLY want to even consider mailing a check, let alone go buy a money order or pay cash on delivery. And there's nothing I want that badly at the moment.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Originally posted by Ricochet:

The problem with that scheme is finding agreeable buyers. I'll rarely bid on anything that I can't pay for with my credit card through PayPal. It's got to be something I REALLY want to even consider mailing a check, let alone go buy a money order or pay cash on delivery. And there's nothing I want that badly at the moment.

Yea, I tend to stay away from any sellers that won't take PayPal or a credit card as I want some recourse in the event of trouble. I'll never pay a COD or send a money order or cashiers ck. I realize there are a lot of honest people out there, but-----

bbach

Even if one does have a zero balance on the Credit Card and pays it off on time, it still runs up the National Debt, because the Fed has to print up more FRNS (Federal Reserve Notes) each time they are used

Since the FED is a private company & not a governmental agency, but really run by 10 private banks, they charge the US GOV MORE than the face value of each FRN printed up PLUS interest.

THis cost gets passed on through the US individual income tax which only really pays off the interest on the National debt and does not pay for roads and the like

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?p=193395#post193395

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showpost.php?p=193395&postcount=2

http://www.reallyneatstuffalaska.com/modern_money_mechanics

http://comer.org/2006/zimm.htm

I use Federal reserve notes only under duress and under protest at all times because of what I know now

The only lawful money under The Constitution for the United States of America is gold and silver.

The Federal reserve Act was passed under most colorable circumstances

check out some of the audios

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/creatrefromjekyllisland25feb05.shtml

remember you can take the Red pill

or the Blue Pill

I will never use credit cards again

So how do you pay for things...with gold nuggets? :D

Hey...CCs are just too much of a convenience....and most times I use my bank card which debits right out of my checking account.

Or I'll use my Visa that gives me cash-back with every purchase.

How can you beat that?

yZe, using credit cards is fine. Keeping a balance on them and paying the interest is unwise.

I usually use my visa debit card with paypal, so it is very much like writing a check. I keep a credit card around for internet purchases or flight and hotel bookings.

I don't charge unless there is money in the bank to pay off those charges. I can't say I've never carried a balance in my lifetime.

Like Miroslav says, cc's are a convenience. Too many people use them as a line of credit and we all know what kind of a problem that can cause.

Anyway, at least with a card or paypal you can get some recourse if you get ripped off. Nothing is for certain, but at least you have some way to try to recover your dollars.

bbach

I understand your sentiments in the convenience of CC's, and I wasn't talking about keeping a "0" balance.

I was just saying, that once I found out the truth about money and national debt creation, I cannot ethically use credit cards as it contributes towards the national debt.

THe Federal Reserve Bank is a foreign corporation which has been allowed to infiltrate and manipulate America's economic system for the interests of private multi-national bankster cartels

I do use Federal reserve Notes, but under duress and under protest because "legal tender" is NOT "lawful money"

The notes are not backed up in anything except a politicians promise or "consumer confidence".

We all know what a "confidence game" is, don't we?

The goldsmiths of old used to receive people's gold as deposit and issue redeemable notes for gold that they deposited. Then they saw how much control they had and started issuing more notes than they had in gold

Well, the FRNS used to be redeemable in gold/silver, too

But now it is a bunch of fictious numbers on a computer.

So I find it more convenient to at least cut out one aspect of participaing in a fraudulent economic "con game".

Trust me, I am working on escaping from having to work for and use FRNS.

The thing that sucks is that I want to have a website which accepts debit cards only, but that is impossible so I am at a conundrum

I guess I have to make it so good that people actually won't mind sending money orders :D

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

I guess I have to make it so good that people actually won't mind sending money orders

And how does that solve anything?

Your buyers have to use their FRNs in order to pay you with a MO...plus it forces them to incur additional costs (buying/sending the MO).....which is probably the main reason you don't use PayPal. You prefer to push the added costs onto the buyer, instead of yourself...right? ;)

You should just offer them PayPal options...and tell them you will roll the PayPal charge into the cost of the item. :thu:

I also hate sellers that don't offer PayPal, and that ONLY take MOs/Checks...'cuz it slows the whole process down. I gotta' get the MO...send it...wait 'til the buyer gets it...etc.

Though I have been forced to do it for some desired items.

99% of all eBay buyers/seller prefer FAST! transactions.

If I see a reasonable Buy It Now price...I never dick around for days just to see if I can get the item for a couple of bucks less.

I just hit the BIN buttonimmediately make my PayPal paymentand then I expect the item to be shipped out within 1-2 daysunless its a weekend.

I also hate sellers that don't offer PayPal...and that ONLY take MOs/Checks...'cuz it slows the whole process down. I gotta' get the MO...send it...wait 'til the buyer gets it...etc.

Though I have been forced to do it for some desired items.

99% of al eBay buyers/seller prefer FAST! transactions.

If you don't own a credit card (like myself) Paypal can be stupidly slow. I find it takes an average of two weeks (Three weeks in one case) for them to clear funds from my bank (which they have authenticated) and send it to the buyer. I usually have to write out several letters of apologies to the buyer, as they get more and more upset with me, for how long it's taking.

However, I can fire off a money order and have it there in three business days.

I make most of my PayPal payments using my bank funds....and I've never seen it take 2-3 weeks for them to transfer the funds...???

PayPal prefers to take the money out of a verified bank account, rather than have use a CC to make payments.

I don't understand why you have such a long wait...???

I'm not sure if the verification proccess is the same here as it is in the U.S., but it's a two step thing here.

Part one, they deposit a few cents into your bank account and you have to login to your account on line and tell them how much they put in. I did this step and had them verify my bank account.

The second step is adding a credit card. With out a valid credit card on file, they will not fully verify me.

I can't even use Paypal to buy music on line from those "pay per song" places that use Paypal. I found one that said "Pay with credit card or Paypal." I click on the "Pay with Paypal" link and was brought to a screen to log into my Paypal account.

Once logged in, it asked me to add a valid credit card before I could continue with my purchase!

I wrote them and mentioned how stupid it was that I had to add a credit card. If I had a credit card I would have just paid that way! They said it was the rules and there was nothing they could do about it...

Originally posted by A String:

I wrote them and mentioned how stupid it was that I had to add a credit card.

They do it to cover their asses.

See...they don't *instantly* debit your bank account...but if you are verified, they'll go ahead and pay the seller.

The CC "backup" is there in case your bank account is emptied by some other transaction/payments at the same time PayPal is trying to access your funds...

...in which case they would go to the CC to get the fundsbut you dont have one, so its no different then you sending the seller a check, and waiting for him to deposit it and the funds to clear.

I know some folks refuse to carry a CC as though it will take control of their life... :D

...but it really is smart to have one, as it does help establish your creditand its a great convenience when used wisely.

Heck....just pay it off every month (no different than making regular deposits into your bank account).

CCs don't take money from you without YOUR involvement. ;)

I know some folks refuse to carry a CC as though it will take control of their life... :D

...but it really is smart to have one, as it does help establish your creditand its a great convenience when used wisely.

Heck....just pay it off every month (no different than making regular deposits into your bank account).

CCs don't take money from you without YOUR involvement. ;)

I had a platinum credit card years ago. It was too easy to use it to buy stuff when I didn't have the funds. I got fairly deep in debt and it took me years to dig my way out. I cut up the credit card and vowed to never again use money I didn't have.

I could probably own one now, but every time I have to eat Kraft dinner for a few day while I wait for a pay cheque to come in, it becomes far to easy to just do some shopping early and put it on the credit card...

I was not meaning to condone irresponsible behavior with my statement about CC companies making it too easy for folks to get into trouble. It is always the person who made that bad decision to spend money that they did not have, who is at fault. But, be realistic....you and I are (OF COURSE!!) responsible individuals. However, a frighteningly large percentage of folks simply are not. This sad but true fact of life is what the CC companies have their greedy sights zero'ed in on! And, the huge personal debt that many have acrued, is something we all pay for in some way. The CC companies also make it very easy for college kids to get cards, and give more and more cards to folks already in tremendous debt to begin with. There needs to be some reasonable regulation of this industry.

And, I've yet to own a CC that charges a % and allows one to build up a balance. Never have, never will.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I love ya, man :thu:

See, what I do when I fire off a money order is the following in order to build "confidence" (lol) to the seller:

I do priority w/deliv conf so there is a tracking number

I create my own unilateral email receipt to the seller and have him email me back that that is the exact deal specs for that amount of FRNS

I then scan the deliv conf receipt filled out and the money order on to the "e-receipt"

Sometimes you have to shrink the scans and then cut them out and then rescan onto the receipt.

Before I seal it, I make another copy.

I bring the UN-sealed envelope to the USPS and have them "round date stamp both copies

I seal the env w/ 1 copy and keep the other

Then I fax or pdf scan by email the roundated copy of the e-receipt w/the deliv conf # and the money order scanned on.

No CC's, no problems

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

I love ya, man :thu:

See, what I do when I fire off a money order is the following in order to build "confidence" (lol) to the seller:

I do priority w/deliv conf so there is a tracking number

I create my own unilateral email receipt to the seller and have him email me back that that is the exact deal specs for that amount of FRNS

I then scan the deliv conf receipt filled out and the money order on to the "e-receipt"

Sometimes you have to shrink the scans and then cut them out and then rescan onto the receipt.

Before I seal it, I make another copy.

I bring the UN-sealed envelope to the USPS and have them "round date stamp both copies

I seal the env w/ 1 copy and keep the other

Then I fax or pdf scan by email the roundated copy of the e-receipt w/the deliv conf # and the money order scanned on.

No CC's, no problems

Yup, it's all about good business practises. If you keep the guy who is waiting for the money assured that everything is fine, it goes a long way to showing how reliable you are. You get GREAT reviews and feel good about yourself because you didn't leave the other party in the dark, wondering if he was going to get paid.

Archived