Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Would You Buy

Pappy P

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Pappy P:

Tedster:

Is that like the magic talking flute from Puff in Stuff.

I hope my guitar has a nice deep voice and not a Flutey sounding voice.

HAHAHA!!!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'd buy whichever spoke to me. (shrug)

If any of those spoke to me, I'd just go check myself in at the local mental hospital.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Pappy: I have a Bolt+ kit, which is the same thing as the Bolt, but w/ two humbuckers, and rear-routed (no pickguard needed). It play incredibly well. I have two handwound Highorder pickups just put in. Sound great, very smooth. I finished it myself w/ Tung oil, it's all-mahogany. Looks awesome. I already dented it, which is kinda sad. A Fender-lover colleague where I teach at, who plays country and blues/rock on Strats and is a fan of SRV's tried it yesterday and loved the neck/fretwork. He's a traditional type of Fender guy. That tells you. Yeah, the neck is less round than a typical fender, but it's not paper-thin, tendonitis-inducing like some shredder necks of the 80's. It's not your old-type baseball bat Fender thing either.

I think if you want to save money, you should go w/ the Carvin Bolt kit. It's really easy to assemble and there's no need for soldering, since the pickuards are preassembled. You can even order it w/ a finish. Supposedly, the AP11's are quieter (less hum) than tyhe typical cheaper Fender pups, so that's a plus. If you want a trem, keep in mind the Wilkinson is maybe higher quality than most Fender trems on guitars in that range.

I think my next electric guitar will have to be a 3-single-coil Strat clone, may be either a Bolt kit or something built from Warmoth parts, or maybe even an American Strat. Maybe Kinman pickups, but those are expen$ive.

Yes, the American Strat is made in the USA. All Carvin ELECTRIC guitars are made in the USA. Their cheaper acoustics are made in Korea, I think. However, and I think I've mentioned this before: I've seen an American Strat w/ nuts extremely badly slotted, so that the first string get off the slot. Also, w/ horrible uneven fretwork. Every company and maker will make mistakes, but for the money, I think Carvin is a great deal when you compare quality vs. price. Their fretwork is usually just plain awesome.

My MySpace Space

IF the range you're considering is from American strat all the way to Cavin Bolt kit, they you shoold also be looking at the G & L Legacy and even the music man strat type (which might be migher priced than the others but I'm not sure), and to throw a monkey wrench into the process you might want to check out the G & L Commanche-- I'd love to but they don't make it lefty.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by musicalhair:

IF the range you're considering is from American strat all the way to Cavin Bolt kit, they you shoold also be looking at the G & L Legacy and even the music man strat type (which might be migher priced than the others but I'm not sure), and to throw a monkey wrench into the process you might want to check out the G & L Commanche-- I'd love to but they don't make it lefty.

+1!!!!

My MySpace Space

Tedster:

Is that like the magic talking flute from Puff in Stuff.

I hope my guitar has a nice deep voice and not a Flutey sounding voice.

Wow... the Magic Flute from H.R. Puff 'n Stuff.. Haven't thought about that in years! When I was barely out of diapers I watched that, Romper Room and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood most every day.

As for the guitar, I didn't vote. Never played a Carvin Bolt or several of the others, so how can I give an informed opinion? (That's right, I can't. ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

quote:

Thanks for all the input.

Lot's of good opinions.

Yeah I forgot about G&L and Music Man, more likely my wallet forgot.

Neil. You are a very wise man. Your opinions always count! :idea:

I say, buy them all! Then you don't have to decide on just one! :thu:

:D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Dumb Question:

Is an American Strat called that because it is made in the USA?

Is a US Highway 1 strat made in the US?

Picker is right and yes it is american
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by rotosound45:

Yes, Music Man is the stuff. My StingRay bass makes me smile every time I've played it for the last six years.

I was thinking today about finding an MM EVH siggy. Those were especially sweet.

http://www.kvinet.com/~prages/GreenieBody.jpg

MM's are almost as nice as the wolfgangs like

this one i just scored

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hey, I got a plain black Mexican Strat on eBay in fine condition for something like $270. I put some WCR handwound pickups on it, and for a total sum of about $500 to 550 I have one of my favorite Strats...and I have a couple of awesome vintage ones at that. The only negative about the Mexican Strat was that the fret ends were sharp. I had to file them down. Otherwise, it's a player's dream, and with the WCR "SR set" handwound pickups, a tone dream as well. I also decked it out with a green "moto" pick guard, and all black knobs. It's a beauty as well.

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by HardTail:

Dumb Question:

Is an American Strat called that because it is made in the USA?

Yes... made in the U.S. by Mexicans.
According to my parents, I was concieved in Mexico, which, you guessed it, means I was Made in Mexico by Americans. Maybe I should buy one. :D
Kerry

Originally posted by Darklava:

Originally posted by rotosound45:

Yes, Music Man is the stuff. My StingRay bass makes me smile every time I've played it for the last six years.

I was thinking today about finding an MM EVH siggy. Those were especially sweet.

http://www.kvinet.com/~prages/GreenieBody.jpg

MM's are almost as nice as the wolfgangs like

this one i just scored

OMG, did you get another Wolfie Darklava?

Archived