Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've learned my first song! Don't laugh though

superdave

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats oh ye Super one. No laughing, I'm proud of you. Gots to start somewhere, think of the millions of people who can't even play ONE chord. A song is more than chords (thanks Mr. Obvious), it's rhythm and feeling and anything you put into it. Good job. :thu:
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

No one is laughing dude, you did exactly what you had to do. Keep working on it as it can stay in your bag of useful songs for the rest of your life.

Learn to sing it while playing it. Learn everything about those two chords that you can and see how the melody reflects the changes that happen harmonically when the chord changes. Picture each note in a chord as a voice and watch it sing the two notes it sings. Be able to get louder and softer and always be in control of the tempo.

The chorus can be played with two different different chords (like an e minor 9 for the e minor) and I bet you could get away with a lot of chord subtitutions in the chorus-- depending on what context you're playing the tune in and how adventurous or how willing you are to start changing that which you just learned :D .

I looked around at a couple of tab sites and there seems to be no agreement as to what the "two chords" for the song are :confused: , nor how they are to be named-- though the E minor / D major with the F# in the bass is the way I think we all learned it. One guy had the chorus as E minor 9 where you play your e minor and with your pinky grab the 1st string second fret adding it to the e minor chord. In that tab version he the (in the chorus this all is) changes the D to a D like this:

x

x

0 open D string

2 A on the G string

2 C# on the B string

0 open E

You can also learn the song in different keys. Try this in A minor:

x

0 A

2 E

2 A

1 C

0 E

and this

x

2 B

0 D

0 G

3 D

x

or in D minor

x

x

changing to this

x

x

YOu can move the original two chords up like this

x

x

changing to this

x

x

Baring at the first fret is tough so feel free to move it higher till you get used to it.

Taking the A minor version and moving it up is usefull too:

in C minor:

x

x

to this

x

x

Why am I suggesting you learn this song in different keys?

1) to get into other parts of the fretboard with the stuff you already know

2) to get your ear hearing the different keys because the all feel different and sound different and it is easy to get trapped into not being able to hear or think in different keys

3) one you start "transposing" songs it gets easier

4) you might play with a harmonica player that doesn't have a tool box full of harmonicas, or play with a similarly limited instrument or (and most likely) you'll find a singer that can't sing it there and if you listen you'll hear that maybe they should sing it in a differeent key,

and finally

5) if you end up with a bunch of tunes in e minor you can move this one out of E minor for some variety.

but there are other reasons why it would be useful too.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I've recently (with the availability of iTunes) been re-exploring some of the America stuff I used to listen to constantly in the late 70s. I was really into the whole hippie-acoustic thing ;) ...folks like America, Fogelberg, CSNY, all that stuff, and downloading some of those old tunes off iTunes (the original vinyl long having since wandered off into the Bermuda Triangle), and hearing it for the first time in 30 years, is like a visit from an old friend. :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Congrats!!! I bet you feel like a million bucks! I bet by the end of the month you'll have a couple more songs down. I think it's fair to say we are all pleased with your progress and proud of you.

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

Well, you're not really hooked till you've learned a song with 6 chords and a key change. After that, you'll never really wanna stop for long... ;)

Congrats dude, it's a milestone.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Right on dude! Who doesn't love horse with no name?! Congrats and don't ever stop! Your stuck with guitar forever now!! muahahahahaha You have just been brain washed you will now forget about your job, your family, and pretty much your entire life! Congratulations.
I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third Dont hesitate to call

Congrats, SuperD! If your wife likes it, I'd keep playin man!!! You done good!! As for it only having two chords....remember that it's quality, not quantity that counts. "it ain't the meat, it's the motion"

I've been playing for 42 years (ouch) and;

-I still only know two chords ;-)

-The only thing that my wife cares about when I'm playing, is that there are at least several doors CLOSED between her and me (21 years of marital bliss will do that for ya....)

-I'm not sure I know any song from start to finish.... ;-)

-I do actually remember my first song...Mandolin Wind by Rod Stewart....I too was totally psyched. I still get that way with each new lick I learn.

you will never tire of your musical acomplishments!! What's the next song on your "to learn" list??

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

The tab that I am using only shows the Em and Dsus6 chord and these two chords seem to repeat all the way through as far as I can tell with the song playing. I don't think the guitar solo is complete either and I have not played the entire thing with the song It's pretty long and my fingers start to freak out after awhile but I'm playing it as long as I can. If somebody has a better version than the one I have I would appreciate any input on it. Thanks for the kind words.

It's interesting that there are still America fans out there.. I thought they were a serious period piece.

I think they were a pretty good tight little band, but overdid the major 7ths thing a little bit....

Still, by all means keep learning songs that YOU like, major 7ths and all! I'm not paying your bills, and thank God, I'm not married to you!

It's funny but I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan. I am currently trying to learn Stairway To Heaven. Horse With No Name just popped into my head the other day and I thought "why not"? It's a baby step for me and a confidence builder also. But hey America had some pretty good stuff.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not stairway to heaven!!!

:D:thu:

It was a great song and performance, unfortunately done to death and then some... sort of like "Eruption".

I still think it was one of Jimmy Page's best solos.

Yes, indeed, let's not get caught in a time warp, though, over that song or band or any others.....

Originally posted by lee83:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not stairway to heaven!!!

:D:thu:

OH YES!!!!!! but more COWBELL pleeeezzze :eek::D

Archived