Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone heard of Del Castillo?

Tedster

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they're from Austin, maybe one of the first "bigger" local acts I saw here. [About 2 months later I saw Eric Johnson jamming with Terry Bozzio and others]. Saw Del Castillo in a festival, and I did not like them at all--it's just a taste thing, nothing wrong with them. The guitarists play very well, they shred pretty much the same way someone like Kirk Hammett would on an electric--yeah for the most part of the show I saw their shredding was rather insipid (that's why I mentioned Hammett). Their songs and arrangements sounded very fake and not too original to me that one time. However, I heard new stuff on the radio (off a new cd) about 2 months ago, and was definitely different from what I had heard AND better.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're on those soundtracks mentioned by Fumbly, since Robert Rodriguez still has his studios here and works from here. Most likely they have their "better" music there, plus I think they made a version of an old Mexican bolero for the end titles of Kill Bill.... at least I think I remember hearing stuff that SOUNDED like them, but "better", while watching Kill Bill. In my opinion, their music would seem to work for the soundtrack of a movie like that, very contrived and flashy.

But again, they're a good band. Definitely, check them out. I should try and give that new CD a spin at one of the local shops.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Apparently, they're going to be featured in the soundtrack to an upcoming film called "The Cry", w/ local singer Patricia Vonne on lead vocals. She's Robert Rodriguez's sister, I think. She's got one or two albums of her own.

Info here:

www.delcastillomusic.com

My MySpace Space

I cought Del Castillo AND Patricia Vonne at Casbeers (San ANtonio) couple of years back. Very nice flamenco rock stuff. And Yes, Patricia is Rodriguez's sister (someone said that he was in the crowd that night, but I didn't see him)
Lynn G

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

And Yes, Patricia is Rodriguez's sister (someone said that he was in the crowd that night, but I didn't see him)

She's cute and has a nice voice, and there's her $$$ brother that can back her up. I think she could make a big buzz within the next 2-3 yrs.

My MySpace Space

Archived