Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neil Young DVD: Heart of Gold:

Dr. Ellwood

Well tonight I sat through the Heart of Gold concert DVD by Neil Young done in Nashville in 05. Have any of you see this? About a quarter of the way through I thought ..Please someone just SHOOT ME NOW!! THAT had to be the most boring and low key concert I have ever seen! Talk about no energy at all with no apparent emotion. I think he maybe used three or four chords during the entire thing, there where some good players in the band but they where held back by Neils mundane and trite style! Anyone else see this?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but I personally have never had much time for him. I cannot stand his lead playing and I dislike the sound of his voice. Having said that I respect him deeply for his contribution, his songwriting and his ability to stay near the top for so long. :D Had to throw that in.

I love the album Deja Vu, there was some great endosymbiosis there. The host being Crosby, Stills, Nash.....the symbiont being Young...living in their intracellular space....oh God, stop me now....

I for one will not be watching that DVD, definitely not now since the heads up Ell.

Havent seen it yet but I probably wont like it much either. WIth a band hes..not great...or good...his lead playing is...lacking something , and when he yells i dont like it. With CSN hes alright.

Neil Young is best when he is ALONE with an acoustic and harmonica, telling stories through music and poetry.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Well tonight I sat through the Heart of Gold concert DVD by Neil Young done in Nashville in 05. Have any of you see this? About a quarter of the way through I thought ..Please someone just SHOOT ME NOW!! THAT had to be the most boring and low key concert I have ever seen! Talk about no energy at all with no apparent emotion. I think he maybe used three or four chords during the entire thing, there where some good players in the band but they where held back by Neils mundane and trite style! Anyone else see this?

You kinda summed it up for me and made me laugh my ass off.

I've heard really good things about this DVD and I plan on seeing it. When I do I'll post my opinion. I think Neil is one of the great contributors to the music of the last 35 years. Never stagnating, always trying new things. His lead playing can be ragged, but it can also be glorious - listen to "Like a Hurricane" to see what I mean.

I saw it when it was in the theatre, which probably helped it. It was definately on the low key side, which is not necessarily a bad thing. You know how Neil is always in some kind of phase... I thought for a live gig, they were pretty tight, and I liked the little interviews they did while riding in the CAddy around Nashville!

Of course, I'm a gigantic Neil fan, so MHO is subjective.

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by Guitar55:

I've heard really good things about this DVD and I plan on seeing it. When I do I'll post my opinion. I think Neil is one of the great contributors to the music of the last 35 years. Never stagnating, always trying new things. His lead playing can be ragged, but it can also be glorious - listen to "Like a Hurricane" to see what I mean.

Never heard anyone refer to Neil's playing as "glorious" but I'll check it out. Personally, I like a few of his songs and some of his stuff from CSN&Y, but don't think I could sit through a whole concert.

Well, I hate to spoil the party, but I think that Heart of Gold is simply the best concert movie ever filmed! I suppose one's view of the film is inevitably colored by one's view of Neil, but for those who appreciate Neil's music Heart of Gold is a treasure.

And there are a lot of us. See the Rust list:

http://hyperrust.org/Rust/

Even within the tribe, there are factions devoted either to Neil's mellow stuff or to Neil's electric grunge. Normally these groups tolerate one another quite cheerfully. Heart of Gold obviously doesn't cater to the grunge crowd, but for the other group...WOW!

By the way, in a recent Paste Magazine poll of the greatest living songwriters, Neil came in second--behind only (you guessed it!) His Bobness. Polls like this don't mean much if one begins to focus too much on specific rankings, but to be placed in the top 10 is clearly an honor....And for me a well-deserved one for Neil.

My 2 cents. But what do I know, I'm from Jersey!

Jersey Jack

I think he maybe used three or four chords during the entire thing...

I should get my money back for that Bo Diddley gig I saw once. He only did one chord all night... do you think I should try and get my money back, ellwood? Or at least a partial refund? ;);)

I think he maybe used three or four chords during the entire thing

There are four?!?

I've got to learn the other two!!

:D

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

I think he maybe used three or four chords during the entire thing...

I should get my money back for that Bo Diddley gig I saw once. He only did one chord all night... do you think I should try and get my money back, ellwood? Or at least a partial refund? ;);)
I sure would try Vince! or at least maybe a free certificate for a oil change and tire rotation :thu:

I saw it at the theatre as well. It certainly had a country feel to it, and I don't generally like country, but I quite enjoyed the concert footage. So much so I plan on buying the DVD this weekend.
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

or cortez the killer :cool:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

or cortez the killer :cool:
Exactly!!

I'm with Jack!

Neil's intent was to portray a long-gone time as if it was today, and director Jonathan Demme's intent was to present this concert as a dream.

I think they both succeeded! Neil and all the musicians play with quiet fire. You never see the audience or other cameras, so you are kept in the moment through the whole film.

This is one DVD during which my wonderful girlfriend did not fall asleep!

And there is enough guitar slut goodness for any of us.

Well I guess it's another instance of to each his own. For me there is not near enough guitar slut goodness, in fact the guitar playing by any of the players (god knows there sure where enough acoustic players!!) was very mundane and pretty basic and boreing. The director seemed to put more energy in the explaining of what he was TRYING to do than he actually accomplished. Not sure about in the moment,it only looked and felt like a MTV video production.

I saw it. Needle and the Damage Done was the 1971 feature. It was good. Rest of DVD was boring. Good but boring. Wife feel asleep. I am a great Neil Young fan. This sometime what you get. If I where rating the art of it, it was a 10. If I we rating the entertainment, 3.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Archived