Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacing Floating Trem on HM Strat

Boots DeVille

I have an '89 Fender HM Strat that's been gathering dust because I find the Kahler Spyder tremolo and locking nut to be a pain in the butt, and I don't have much use for a "heavy metal" guitar these days. It's a USA strat with a nice neck, and I probably wouldn't get much for it if I tried to sell it, so I'm looking at ways I might modify it so I would like/use it more.

I've ordered a set of GFS Liverpool pups to put it it (its the dual humbucker model BTW). But where I'm lookin' for suggestions is around what to do about the Kahler. I played around last night by putting a block of wood behind in the back cavity to keep it from moving around (I've heard that Clapton does that w/ his strat trems that he doesn't use). What I'd really like to do is replace it with a hardtail. Anyone crossed this bridge before?

I have a woodworking shop at home, so I could easily make a block of wood fit in the route created on the face of the body to accept the Kahler, and then mount new bridge to that. And there's also the option of getting a replacement body for it, but that would significantly add to the cost.

Aside from these options any of y'all got any different ideas/experiences you can share?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guy. There are a number of things you can do. The most appropriate thing to do is to buy the tremolo-to-hardtail bridge that lots of manufactuars make. IF your guitar isnt compatible with that, There is a little toy that it like an UBER spring that pulls your tremolo so its flat with the body and locks it there. The last thing you can do is just tighten that claw 'till you cant tighten it no more. Hope this helps, Rock on!
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

You could donate it to me. I'd love to wail on that Kahler!

Please, don't deface that instrument by putting a hard tail in it. That makes me very sad.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Thanks Xplorer, I looked up the trem-setter and I already got one of them suckers in there - it came stock. I don't think it has much to do with converting it to a hardtail. I guess its supposed to insure the trem returns to the same spot every time.

Ya, I just remember briefly looking at an add in a guitar mag. I think I missed the point.

I would really love to talk you out of modifing that guitar though...

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Allright, looked up a little bit and found something that takes a block of wood, A hacksaw and some sandpaper

- STRATOCASTER TREMELO - "HARDTAIL" CONVERSION

I have a 1987 American Standard Stratocaster, I never use the whammy bar, Is there a tailpiece available to bolt directly to the body, effectively transforming the guitar to a "hardtail"?

I don't know of a replacement that would retrofit without modification. I would recommend "defeating" the tremolo by placing a well fitted piece of wood between the tremolo block ( the stem of the tremolo bridge which goes through the body, to which the tremolo springs are attached) and the body of the guitar to keep it from moving. This will give you all the stability of a "hardtail" without irreversible modification. Most repairman can do this for you.

Originally posted by Ol' Boy Rivers:

Allright, looked up a little bit and found something that takes a block of wood, A hacksaw and some sandpaper

- STRATOCASTER TREMELO - "HARDTAIL" CONVERSION

I have a 1987 American Standard Stratocaster, I never use the whammy bar, Is there a tailpiece available to bolt directly to the body, effectively transforming the guitar to a "hardtail"?

I don't know of a replacement that would retrofit without modification. I would recommend "defeating" the tremolo by placing a well fitted piece of wood between the tremolo block ( the stem of the tremolo bridge which goes through the body, to which the tremolo springs are attached) and the body of the guitar to keep it from moving. This will give you all the stability of a "hardtail" without irreversible modification. Most repairman can do this for you.

The cool thing about this is that you can have the hardtail with the Trem's adjustment tuners, And thats just a kick@$$ thought.

Archived