Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

******CABS MAN - BLOW YAW MIND*******

alex2zulu

Hey dudes, looking for a cab for a new valve king head. Playing Metal Rock

looking to spend up to £250 tops

i dont mind useing a 2x12 cab coz im not gonna be giging but gonna be in jam sesions.

so through some advice my way and i shal be very greatful.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to do some research dude. That's like asking what toppings you should get on your pizza.

Look at speakers available in your price range, then read reviews. If there is a specific flavour of tone you want, there is a specific speaker out there to suit your needs. You need to understand the variables involved first. Research!

Once you've picked the speakers (brand, size, wattage, impedance) then you could probubly find an empty cab to load, or build one yourself if you are handy with wood.

A shot in the dark - Epiphone Triggerman Cabinet

P.S. wait more than a couple of hours to start calling people immature for not responding to your thread. People here are happy to help if you seem truly interested in the conversation.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I play thrash metal.

Personally I like Marshall, Roland, and Crate products.

The Marshall Valvestate compact 4X12 cab is cheap, but gets alot of negative press for being below Marshall standards. I have one, and it sounds decent enough.

What are the specs on the Valve King Head?

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by Darklava:

Originally posted by alex2zulu:

omfg , y wont any one reply.

u all 12 or something

never seen a cab in ur life ?

c'mon ppl give us a hand

Here you go bud :thu:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mkoljone/handandpencil/hand.jpg

That hand is in a far more polite position then the one I expected to see. ;)

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Let's give Mr. Zulu a break.

True his english is broken, but he may be posting from a non-english speaking country.

:bor:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

True his english is broken, but he may be posting from a non-english speaking country.

Like Texas?? :D

I find it mildly amusing that someone who doesn't know the difference between "throw" and "through", who uses Prince/blog-spelling (I Would Die 4 U) and hasn't the patience to wait a few hours for a reply accuses a bunch of strangers he can't see (and hasn't taken the time to meet) of being a bunch of 12 year olds. Very mature of you, Zulu. :rolleyes:

I appreciate your and A-string's kind responses, but please don't make excuses for his rude behavior.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Like Texas?? :D

I find it mildly amusing that someone who doesn't know the difference between "throw" and "through", who uses Prince/blog-spelling (I Would Die 4 U) and hasn't the patience to wait a few hours for a reply accuses a bunch of strangers he can't see (and hasn't taken the time to meet) of being a bunch of 12 year olds. Very mature of you, Zulu. :rolleyes:

I appreciate your and A-string's kind responses, but please don't make excuses for his rude behavior.

Welcome? That's quite an attude you have good luck with that Zulu.

dudes i appolagise, just very bad day and i have a very short attention span (got pills for various shiz such as this)

so clean slate ?

i was looking at the marshall 1936 2x12

i would still like to get a cab/head because it would alow me to upgrade the head and not have to get another cab (even though i might later) also i might start giging at some point, all in all its just more versitile.

(i am british, just not to good with words, like to make it up as i go :D )

thanx

the Genz Benz 2x12 cab is freakin awesome and as good or better than a lot of 4x12's. They might be a little more pricey than you want, I'm not sure. Go to harmony-central.com and go to user reviews to see what others have to say on em.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

dudes i appolagise, just very bad day and i have a very short attention span (got pills for various shiz such as this)

so clean slate ?

i would still like to get a cab/head because it would alow me to upgrade the head and not have to get another cab (even though i might later) also i might start giging at some point, all in all its just more versitile.

thanx

Well now your talking i happen to have a 1936

for 275.00 but you live too far...a new one too

sheoit and i'd love to get rid of it

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

so clean slate ?

thanx

Cool! It's always good to meet someone with humility. Glad to meet you, alex. Hope you stick around.

Seems the 1936 sells for about $549 here in the U.S. (£296, according to Google just now.)

I'm not a stack player, so I relinquish the floor to people with experience with cabs.

I would suggest you read the variety of opinions expressed on this webpage at HC . There's a real variety of opinions with a lot of info how it was used.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

so clean slate ?

thanx

Hey my first thought was, OK lets just run this guy off! :D I have learned to think twice and post once in responce to allot of stuff.

omfg , y wont any one reply.

u all 12 or something

never seen a cab in ur life ?

c'mon ppl give us a hand

:D I'm not 12... but judging by how you type, you must be about 10-1/2 and too used to text-messaging on mobile phones; or a retard with internet access. Or maybe you're pathetically trying to be cool. If you are, let me tell you it's not working.

:D

Now to answer your question, I'm under the impression many metal rigs use Celestion G12T-75's or the typical V30's. Also, Electro Voice EVM-12L or S... these were discontinued and now remade as the Black Label Zakk Wylde signature speakers, with a power rating of 300watts. They're very expensive.

I'm not necessarily a metal musician, but it seems to me the speakers I have in my 2x12 could handle any sort of metal, as well as jazz or country duties very well: Eminence SwampThangs, 150w each.

I don't know how cheap Eminence speakers usually go for where you are (I'm assuming you're in the UK....?), but here in the States they're cheap. I'll also assume Celestions will be cheaper over there, although anyway they're imported from China, so it may be a very bad assumption.

In teh States, there are two cab-making companies that have good reputation: Avatar and EarCandy. In England, Orange has A HUGE reputation not only for amps, but also for their cabs. Many people just look for their cabs.

Good luck, metal dude...

Rawk on!

Note: these impressions come from research I've done myself and from what I've seen at shows, etc, NOT from first-hand experience.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Alex...Welcome to the best guitar forum in the world. I too am a new member here, and can tell you first hand, you will NOT find a better source of free information from expert ax grinders, that just also happen to be a great bunch of guys.

That being said, I'm not the end-all be-all when it comes to metal guitar and/or Marshall cabinetry, however, I have been playing metal guitar exclusively for over 30 years, and, have never owned anything but Marshall cabinets, so don't discount me, either.

Because you asked for opinions, and, based on the sound I anticipate you'll be endeavoring to achieve, and, based on the comment you made about the 1936 2x12, this would be my recommendation.

Pick up a used Marshall 1936 from off of Ebay. They sell there commonly for between $300-$400 US dollars. I've even seen them on rare occassions sell for $250. If you can find an empty one...even better. Saves you some money on shipping. An empty should easily be obtainable for around $200 or less. Then, you should be able to pick up some Marshall 30w greenbacks on that side of the pond for about $100 a pop. The 30w greenbacks will enhance the natural low end tones of the 1936 cab and resonate much more with the tube power for unbelievable mids and lows. But don't stressout if you end up with the G12T75's that come standard with that cab. I know a guy that plays in a local speed metal group that uses a mini-wall of 1936's (6) with all G12T75's pushed by two Krank "Krankenstein" 100w heads. The balls (lows) on his tones are truly knee buckling if you happen to be walking in front of it while he's riffing in a drop tuned G. They cover alot of Slipknot, Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, etc,...so obviuosly, your needs will be less until you start to gig, but the point is, it'll be an excellent starting point that will give you some true variables to work with as you develop what will eventually become YOUR sound.

Good luck,

Hairy :freak: <~ off to see Johnny Winter

Kerry

Archived