Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey Cabs , help please

alex2zulu

Hey guys , does anybody know anything about the peavey valveking cabs?

im gonna get the valve king and was wondering if i should get a differnt cab to go with the head.

i heard that the marshall 1960 cabs are really good but would it match the amp?

was thinking about a 2x12 maybe

so could you guys sugest a good cab mainly for

hard rock/metal.

also i need a pedal to use with the amp, like something to push it in to metal terretory?

thanx for any help guys

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted about cab's in your other thread, but pedals...

The BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone is the one pedal I could not live without. It is serious.

If you want some different flavour, the MXR Double Shot distortion is a 2 channel distortion. 1 channel sounds like a Marshal Plexish tone, the other channel is the same circuitry as the MXR Dimebag Darrel signature pedal.

If you are looking for cheap, the Danelectro Black Liquorice (Beyond Metal) pedal is balls-to-the-wall metal. Very nice little pedal!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Allright guy. The marshall 1960...You might not like that TOO much because it seems your playing metal. ( That marshall cab is old, And im not exact on how well it would handle being pushed that hard ) Id go with...IF you could do it 2 412 cabs with celestion " GT's " They distort very nicely and sound good enough for any type of music ( I play on GT's and im a blues player ) As for the pedal...If you want something thats just totally gunna put your balls to the wall id go with that Line6 ubermetal. It WILL sqeal, Scream and eat your breakfast. ( ITS NOT FOR TONE, JUST FOR PURE BLISSFUL DISTORTION ) OR they have that new Dimebag petal by krank. That WILL push that amp as hard as it can go, Really. Hope this helps guy, Rock on!
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

Order and custom build an Avatar (get the more expensive one with dovetail joints). They are very reasonably priced and are constructed with dovetail joints and 11 ply birch.

You can choose the speakers you want. I suggest going to the celestion website as they have a tone sampler that will let you try different speakers with different amp tones to see what you want.

Personally, I would go with a 2/12 closed back. 4/12 push more air and sound bigger, but they also cost alot more.

A quality 2/12 can sound huge. I have a Dr. Z best 2/12 and it sounds monstrous.

If you are playing hard rock, I recommend some t75 celestions. You can talk to the guys at Avatar and they can make some recommendations.

I think the tone sampler at Celestion is a cool thing to check out before doing anything though. My fav combinatino would be a g12 and a t75.

Remember the speaker cab you choose is as important as the amp/guitar.. There are plenty of cabinets that blow. I usually don't care for most cabs I try.

Orange makes the best cabinets in my opinion but they cost alot.

I really think the Avatar will be the best choice for you. They are cheap and customizable. Everyone who gets them seems to like them.

Ask Millo, I think he got one.

i would stay away from Marshall cabs. The lower end ones sound like shit.

Hughes & K(?) make good cabs too, at least the one I played through. I really like my Avatar with 4 Celestion G12Hs. Marshall 4x12s sound like dog ass to me. Way too thin and trebly. Kinda like the SM57 of cabs. (Side note: and how do most people mic a cab like that? And people wonder why guitarists and recordists are still looking to the 60s and 70s for good tones...)

Pedals: both Zakk Wylde and Eddie Van Halen drive a classic high gain amp (like a JCM800) with a Boss SD-1 SuperOverdrive. Cheap too.

thanx guys , i guess ill just have to try some at the shop and look around for some speaker spacific cabs

ill be limieted to mainly marshals and fenders and some line 6 stuff oh and peavey.

i live in eastbourne so theres not alot of good gear around hear to try.

i might go to brighton though, theres alot more choice there because they have there best guitar shop in england there and more than one branch too..

once again thanx and this doesnt mean the thred is closed lol

I dunno about H&K's Cabbys. Unless your willing do drop your Britches and $#^! out money into the palms of the seller i dunno how well thats gunna go. YES they have awsome quality but your gunna play for every pound of it. ( They have a 94 pound combo! ) But yea, If you have trhe money for it a Huges & kettner Slant cab makes an AWSOME awsome speaker Cabby.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

Archived