Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Went to see Johnny Winter tonight...

picker

...and it was a bittersweet sort of experience. He played really well, I don't think he's lost much on that score. And, he did some cool tunes; Mojo Boogie, Johnnie Guitar, Hoochie Coochie Man, Lone Wolf, he even finished with a rocking Highway 61. The crowd loved him, and it seemed to be a good night. His drummer qand bass player were tight, and supported him quite well.

His singing isn't what it once was; his drummer sang about half the songs, I think to save Johnny's voice. What Johnny sang was okay; not as powerful as 30 years ago, but shucks, it was 30 years ago, after all. He did alright.

The bittersweet part was seeing how badly he's weathered the years. At 62, he stoops over when he walks, and his gait is hesitant, with a very noticeable limp. His eyesight was never very good, and I am told he is almost completely blind now. His folks have to lead him around to keep him from hurting himself. He played the entire show from a chair, which I am sure was not much fun for him. He just seemed so frail, and I got the feeling that he may not be around much longer. I sure hope that is wrong, and that he regains his health and keps playing for years. If he can stay off the dope, maybe his innards will heal up and he'll be okay.

In any event, I am glad I got to see him, and I have no complaints about how he played. The man is a legend, and, me being 53, it gives me hope to see him still alive and playing well. Rock on Johnny.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great review, Picker. I'm going tonight to see him at The Martini Bar in Columbia, Missouri. It can't get here soon enough...I've been up since three AM like it was Christmas morning. I may have to catch a nap about noon today...lol.
Kerry

I would have liked to see that show. I'm a huge Johnny fan from way back. And, it was indeed his ballsy voice as much as his guitar playing that I liked.

One of the most recent pics I saw of him, he was wearing a sleeveless shirt, and I swear to God I could have put my thumb and forefinger around his upper bicep. He looked like someone who had just been liberated from Auschwitz...scary thin...a walking skeleton.

I concur...I fear he may not be around much longer as well. I believe I've read that people born with Albinism tend to have more health problems anyway than the average populace, and adding to those problems with excessive drug usage certainly didn't help.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Hairfarmer:

Great review, Picker. I'm going tonight to see him at The Martini Bar in Columbia, Missouri. It can't get here soon enough...I've been up since three AM like it was Christmas morning. I may have to catch a nap about noon today...lol.

Hair -- be sure to post YOUR review after the show. Pickers review prety much sums up what I saw last week. At least the consistancy is there. That tells me Johnny's staying sober. Hope he puts on a good performance for you.
Wang

I had forgotten that I saw Johnny Winter back in the early '70s with Rick Derringer on second guitar. I remember being very impressed with his speed.

One of my homeboys from Des Moines is practically a JW worshipper, and so he has sent me some tapes by him - some good stuff there. He told me that once Johnny came downstairs where he and some friends were playing, 'cause he heard some blues. Johnny asked him if he wanted to jam, but Don begged off - intimidated I guess.

I just saw Johhny in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and my fears were confirmed. After watching the Live in Times Square DVD and listening to his last CD, it was apparent to me that he didn't posses the musical prowess he once did. I went to the show hoping i was wrong, but I wasn't. Johhny is a shell of his former self. His singing was off-key, voice was bad and his playing was painful to watch in comparison to his virtuoso playing of yesteryear. The audience didn't seem to know any better and hopefully JW is enjoying playing (altough it looked like he was in pain at times) so it's not all bad, but it's a crying shame that one of our truly unique and gifted musicians is, for all intents and purposes, no longer with us.

Archived