Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rectifiers

AeroG33k

So I "physically" know what they do to a signal 'wave' (i think, anyway), but I'm unsure what that means for the sound and why you'd want it. What's up with the 'dual' and 'tripple' rectifiers? Does every amp have at least one? Shoult it? Could you add it? :confused:

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All amps, tube or solid-state or whatever, have a rectifier; it's part of the power supply section of the amp. Some use a tube rectifier, some a solid-state one (diodes).

A tube rectifier, or a ss one designed to behave like a tube one, reacts less quickly if the amp is really pushed into having a lot of demand placed upon its power-supply, and this lag is what creates that "sag" (more in feel than sound, but it can be perceived as either or both) endemic to vintage-y tube-amps with under-achieving slacker power-supplies and tube-rectifiers.

An amp with more than one tube rectifier will have a tighter response with less "sag" than one with a single rectifier-tube; and a higher power tube-amp, like an 80 watt or 100 watt or higher-powered design, will require either a ss rectifier, or a dual or triple rectifier tube design in its power supply.

Some amps may be designed with more than one rectifier that can be switched between, for a wider variety of feels and response-characteristics, like the Fender Pro Sonic, with its selectable ss and tube rectifiers (and Class-A or Class-A/B operational modes).

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks, very good explanation! I figured it had something to do with making the sound "tighter" so I guess I wasn't too far off. :thu:

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

I'm very curious about Weber's "Copper Cap" line of ss rectifiers that fit to tube-rectifier sockets (they also have models for hard-wired installation, as well), and replicate the performance characteristics of various tube rectifiers. They'll even make custom designs for you, if you know what you want. That could be interesting...

(Note that no signal goes through a rectifier in the power supply; it's purely a function of the power-supply. A tube-amp can have a purely tube signal-path and still have a ss rectifier.)

Such a ss rectifier will likely never ever need to be replaced due to wearing out or failing, increasing the reliability and stability and safety of a tube-amp.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived