Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupid Nuts!

A String

That's it! I'm sick of removing the screws and tightening the 1/4" jack on the Strat! :evil:

I've tried nail polish and it still comes loose. I would try glue, but I don't want something that I won't be able to remove later (If the need should arise). Is there something that will keep the nut in place with out it being a permanent part of my guitar? :confused:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one word.. I've used it for many differnt applications..

and it will probablly work here...

when the ol'lady isn't around.. or occupied.. and not in the bathroom...

PLAN A

sneak in... and quickly... as quick as you can.. without her seeing.. *Note to self don't get nevervous or act strange around her...

when not looking...

GRAB THE "HAIRSPRAY"...

run.. squirt.. tighten.. RUN HAIRSPRAY BACK as quick as possible... make sure to put it back exactly as you seen it.. take pictures in order to prepare for this task.. she will notice it moved and you'll never hear the end of it!!!

BUTTTTTTTTTT the good news is the nut won't move.. and you'll be able to remove it when you want =)

If need be.. shoot me your addy.. will do a drive by and occupy her at the door while you do the unthinkable.. (touch the womans unforgiving hairspray).

PLAN B if that doesnt work.. sneak out and buy your own can... and give it to her as present once done with it =)

Seiously, ellwood speaks the truth; good advice. I used to have a bottle of the same stuff (actually, a couple of 'em, in different color-coded strengths). A little goes a long ways.

If you get a large bottle and a smaller one, do NOT fill the small one up all the way; if there's a decided lack of air in the bottle, the stuff'll harden up and be useless. Funny, extreme heat and smoke has a similar effect... ;)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I know your pain. On my son's Fender he managed to get the nut cross threaded so now it is Perm-anently loose (pun intended), but permanently not going to fall out. It's not the solution I would recommend.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Be sure to not get the red LocTite. It is the permanent stuff. The blue is the ticket. And, as Caeven said, a little goes a long way. Your problem will be solved.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Oh yeah, follow the directions to a T, don't get it anywhere you don't want it (particularly in any electronics like pots and jacks and switches), apply it quite sparingly to one threaded-surface only (and don't get too carried away and overtighten and damage things, either, easily done, been dere, done dat!).

The blue Loc-Tite is probably best, but if you don't think you'll ever need to take something apart, the red is good and can be broken by deliberately forcing it with a long-handled wrench, if there's a minimum of the stuff on there...

But, yeah, get the blue Loc-Tite as ellwood and Scott and Greg recommend, no offense to anyone else here! It's just EXACTLY what you need for that.

Hey, caprae- just what, which, 'n' where is this stucked-up, cross-threaded 'n' stripped-out nut on your son's guitar? Perhaps we can figure out a way to get it apart without undue damage, so that you can replace the bunged-up threaded-parts (or, maybe a tap 'n' die or similar tool could be used to clean up the threads, once apart)...

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hey, caprae- just what, which, 'n' where is this stucked-up, cross-threaded 'n' stripped-out nut on your son's guitar? Perhaps we can figure out a way to get it apart without undue damage, so that you can replace the bunged-up threaded-parts (or, maybe a tap 'n' die or similar tool could be used to clean up the threads, once apart)...

Its the cord input jack. I played it the other day and its so loose I thought it was going to fall out until he reminded me it was cross threaded and stuck. Now that I think about it, we do have the extended warranty through MF. I wonder if they would replace it?

However, if you have any secrets, I'm open to solutions (no pun intended).

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by Greg B.:

Be sure to not get the red LocTite. It is the permanent stuff. The blue is the ticket. And, as Caeven said, a little goes a long way. Your problem will be solved.

I always keep loctite in my shop. I use if for a number of applications. You do have to be careful not to apply the wrong stuff, it can be brutal to get the part off again. However, some mild loctite will work.

I've also heard of the hairspray trick, but have never tried it my own self.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

LocTite man. I used LocTite on my jack, Knobs, And the tremolo screw ( I like to keep it in one place so i dont have to reach for it ) A friend of my used Teflon plummers tape but he is a complete pot-head so im not sure how much you should trust his word!
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

I have both in my workshop. Hairspray is commonly used to put on handlebar grips! I only use the red locktight on wheels that have lots of spokes. I have had to rebuild wheels when intrupted because the red is so good that if I leave it too long the spokes break instead of turning. The red is for limited use only!

<>

I'd remove the jack plate, desolder the wires if there's not enough slack, & get a pair of pliers on the jack, & another pair of pliers on the nut & get that thing offa there. If it looks like it can't be put back right, if the the threads are too gnarled, just put a new Switchcraft jack in there. It'll only put you back a couple bucks.

<< Now that I think about it, we do have the extended warranty through MF. I wonder if they would replace it?>>

Maybe, although it sounds like user error, & they may say you shouldn't have gotten the threads crossed. I certainly don't think it's worth subjecting the ax to being shipped just to get a free replacement jack. It's only a 2 buck part.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Ol' Boy Rivers - "A friend of my used Teflon plummers tape but he is a complete pot-head so im not sure how much you should trust his word!"

Hey, Jimi Hendrix smoked a joint once... Maybe that whole upside-down Stratocaster/modified Mayer Fuzz/Wah-Wah/daisey-chained Marshall stack thing is completely stupid after all. It's a good thing he never used teflon tape, or he may have been forced to ride the short bus his whole life.

Originally posted by ellwood:

There are different strengths of LOCTITE, get some! and apply it in the manner they tell you in the directions, permanent,semi permanent, vibration resistant..etc...that will be the end of you problems it's on ALL OF MINE! http://www.action-electronics.com/loctite.htm

Damn. I never thought of that. I've just been swearing at the damn things for years....

Originally posted by Ol' Boy Rivers:

LocTite man. I used LocTite on my jack, Knobs, And the tremolo screw ( I like to keep it in one place so i dont have to reach for it ) A friend of my used Teflon plummers tape but he is a complete pot-head so im not sure how much you should trust his word!

Bad place to use teflon tape (plumbers dope) when Loctite works so well. Why? Because it's very difficult to place the teflon tape on so few threads. Teflon tape works well in areas you can apply it properly. This ain't one of those places. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah, plus Teflon tape is best for snugging-up something that you still want to move now and then, like the handle on a whammy-bar (I love the stuff for that); it isn't particularly satisfactory for thread-locking, just tightening-up threaded fittings and stopping small leaks in plumbing. Loc-Tite is the answer here, tops, hands-down.

Hey, caprae- so, just what model and type and style of jack is this? Can you remove the whole assembly, as described by Scott above? (I don't think that it'd be worth the potential troubles if MF even would accomodate you on this one; I think it's best to either DIY, or have a friend or somebody else who's experienced enough take care of it.)

Yes, the plate can be unscrewed. I guess you both are right about risking the shipping for such a part. In all honesty, I had no idea it was that cheap. Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Originally posted by stamplicker:

ok.. scrap the hairspray... and What's the cost of loctite... Just take the jack out and replace it? LOL think the jack would cost the same as the loctite.. was scratching my head over that all night.. shooot I can mail you a jack! problem solved :D

Uhmn... yeah, a thread-locker like Loc-Tite, or hair-spray, in a pinch, will do for A String's rattling jack,

- but -

it obviously isn't going to do anything for caprae's cross-threaded, stripped and stuck hardware problems; the only thing for it is to remove and replace it...

Originally posted by A String:

That's it! I'm sick of removing the screws and tightening the 1/4" jack on the Strat! :evil:

I've tried nail polish and it still comes loose. I would try glue, but I don't want something that I won't be able to remove later (If the need should arise). Is there something that will keep the nut in place with out it being a permanent part of my guitar? :confused:

I know everyone is giving you allsorts of glue ideas etc... but I would look at using PTFE tape. (thats what its called in the UK) Its a tape used by plumbers to help the threads bite together on water joints, it will create necassary bite you require but will allow you to remove and refit it many times (upon re-fitting you may have use a little more tape, its not sticky in any way so no residue either)Very cheap too and you wont see it

I hope that works it should do.

best of luck

Graham

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Archived