Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is a good begginer acoustic guitar?

superdave

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to make a thread like this, as my old steel-string's neck came unglued in a hot car, and I've always had a piece of crap $30 nylon-string that I never replaced with a nicer one.

I know that like electrics, there's cheap and good acoustics out there (admittedly it seems not as many). I'm not sure which to get yet as I really enjoy playing latin/flamenco stuff and rhythms on a nylon, but I like steel-strings too.

I was going to pick up a steel-string soon for under $200 but I'm going out to Mexico in a week and I know for a fact that they make GREAT cheap guitars over there if you can find them. Looking forward to it...

I didn't contribute, did I? At Guitar Centers, they have beginner acoustics by Yamaha, Rogue, and Epiphone that are great for the price ($80-$150). The tone may be uneven on some, but it may not be an important factor for you unless you're gigging or you have a good ear for acoustic tone already.

There should be more obscure offerings elsewhere, similar to the hidden Agile line of electrics ;)

Off topic, has anyone tried parlor-sized guitars? I was at a Guitar Center and I saw one by Squier sitting there in the empty acoustic room, so I jammed on the thing. The high register and small size is awesomeness achieved :evil: I'm worried that if I get one though, I may not use it very much after the novelty value's gone. Anyone have one?

Originally posted by Starcaster:

I was going to make a thread like this, as my old steel-string's neck came unglued in a hot car, and I've always had a piece of crap $30 nylon-string that I never replaced with a nicer one.

I know that like electrics, there's cheap and good acoustics out there (admittedly it seems not as many). I'm not sure which to get yet as I really enjoy playing latin/flamenco stuff and rhythms on a nylon, but I like steel-strings too.

I was going to pick up a steel-string soon for under $200 but I'm going out to Mexico in a week and I know for a fact that they make GREAT cheap guitars over there if you can find them. Looking forward to it...

Paracho, Mexico is the place to look for very nice, inexpensive nylon string guitars. Just about everybody in town is involved in either building or selling guitars.

Howdy yall, Ol'boy here. I started out on a really cheap nylon classical acoustic/electric. Personally...I say start on a nylon string. Unless you buy an expensive steel string guitar those babys are going to own your fingers like a 5 tearold in K-mart. Nylon stringed guitars are a BUTTLOAD more forgiving when it comes to not only tuning, But how hard you have to play those strings. Hope this helps, Rock on!
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

Get as good a guitar as you can afford. If the player likes it he has a good guitar and doesn't have to trade up. If he doesn't, you can usually sell it and get close to your money back. Sometimes even more.

Check Craig's list for your area. Check the classifieds. If you know a really good guitarist take them to the local pawn shops. Also ask to see used guitars at the local music shops.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Howdy yall, Ol'boy here. I started out on a really cheap nylon classical acoustic/electric. Personally...I say start on a nylon string. Unless you buy an expensive steel string guitar those babys are going to own your fingers like a 5 year old in K-mart. Nylon stringed guitars are a BUTTLOAD more forgiving when it comes to not only tuning, But how hard you have to play those strings. Hope this helps, Rock on!

Yamaha makes some nice lower level acoustics.

I recommend buying a Taylor Big Baby used on Ebay. You could probably pick one up for about $200 or less.

I have one and it sounds really big and plays great. I had it setup by a guitar tech when I got it for free from our old bassist. Taylor knows how to make a great guitar out of a shoe box. It is all about the build. The wood is secondary to the build. Mine smokes.

One thing is about the Big Baby, you really have to keep it humidified if it is dry. You can do this easily by keeping a Planet Waves gizmo in the middle of the strings while it is in the case. You fill it with water and it disperses humidity through the body. The wood is poris and the finish is not very heavey. It is sensitive to lack of moisture. If you get one, get the nut and bridge looked at by a well known tech in the area. I mean if the action seems high.

I know a good acoustic, and I think if you really want something that sounds great, plays great, that is the way to go.

Taylor sent out a guitar to a bunch of stores a while back that was built out of a wood pallet. They wanted to prove that the build of a guitar is more important than the wood it is made of. Apparently the guitar sounded great and played great. Shit maybe thats what my Big Baby is..

Wowsers on that woodpalite remark. I would have nevr thunk. Sure i knew when it came to braceing and wood thickness is matterd...But pallet wood is like cheap pine or something...My hats off to you, miles. You opend Meh eyes to alot more then woods.

I am not saying you can make a guitar out of crap and have a 'gem'. I mean you can make a guitar out of crap and have killer build quality--it will sound damn good, but will it compare to a Taylor 810? No way. The 810 will have killer wood, and build quality. As well as a nice finish and beautiful inlays etc.

For acoustics, you have to spend money if you want a great sounding guitar.

I am saying that build is a huge percentage of that sound and tone. My Big Baby will smoke alot of guitars more expensive than it. This is due to the fact that Taylor knows whats up.

Cool pic of Joe Walsh!!

There are Deans, Yamaha, Taylor big babies. Plenty of options.

I had a yamaha 12 string that was $300 and it was a nice guitar. It lasted about 4 years before I upgraded.

My buddy has a Dean that was $300 and he loves it. I would go to a store other than GC where you can try more varieties.

I know $300 is pricey.. There are deals out there, if you know someone who knows a good guitar, bring them along for quality control.

Originally posted by SlyFoxx:

Try Yamaha. Worked for me. (But it was 18 years ago ;) )

Back then I tried every cheap acuostic I could get my hands on. The 200 dollar Yamaha smoked guitars that cost twice as much.

Every time I post this I get slammed for the whole Yamaha thing, but my first guit was a Yamaha Eterna that I bought for $160 at Service Merchandise and I still love it, plastic tuners and all.

Yes, you can get a decent acoustic for $200, but once you've played a nice one you'll realize the difference between "decent" and "nice".

Originally posted by Warthog:

Yes, you can get a decent acoustic for $200, but once you've played a nice one you'll realize the difference between "decent" and "nice".

Which is why I say look for a used one. If you can get a good $400 guitar for $200 used you'll be that much further ahead.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived