Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat vs. Tele, what's the difference between them?

superdave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are different, that's all. It depends on what you are looking for. In general, Teles lend themselves to Country and roots-type stuff, but you will find the occasional Jazz player using one and we all know that Led Zep I was recorded with Page on a Tele.

IMHO, a Strat-style intstrument is probably the most versatile electric guitar.

You really need to know what they sound and feel like and what type of tone you are shooting for.

Teles have more sustain and a punchier, more twangy sound with an extended high end. They can be unforgiving.

Strats have a little less sustain and the sound is a little softer. The electronics offer more sounds including the famous "in between" sound of the middle pickup out of phase with either of the outside PUs. They have a pretty good trem design. Easier to play than Telecasters.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I have a Squire Affinity Strat. I was just wondering how they differ. I saw Led Zep in 1978 and Page used a black and white Tele several times during that show especially on Stairway to Heaven and Since I've been loving you. I'll never forget it because 20,000 people went drop dead silent when he played the fisrt few notes of Stairway to Heaven. Man Page was great back then.

Kinda like havin' 2 different, but equivalent Ferraris, I'd think - both are thrill rides, but one demands a touch more focus to coax the goodies out of it. Playin' a Tele is akin to drivin' a standard tranny sports car. More work, but highly satisfying to play well. Strats are easier to hold, and offer a wider array of tones. One is basically the evolution of the other. Both are essential to your arsenal. :D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Strat and tele, Man thats like penute butter or chocolate! Allright...As said before the strat is more flexible. Now-a-days if you but a tele or a strat you have the ability to install humbucking pickups. And if you have the wallet, When you buy a american strat it has the routing for not only the bridge hummer, But the neck too. The tele's only have the neck routed for it. I think they are both just as easy to hold, But my fingerrs tell me that the tele is better on the highs ( Even when you listen to the tele when its past the twelve, It sounds less harsh and more...MMM ) The strat is the god of all guitars, But the Tele was the first electric guitar. The tele i think sounds better with like...Stoner rock and jazz. The strat can pretty much handle it all besides heavy metal. Both of them sound...Absolutly awsome when you buy the better quality versions. Hope this helps you out, Rock on!
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

I like TEles and can't stand Strats.

Ergonomics, construction and electronics aside,

the stratocaster has a LOT more moving parts, and other parts that need to be loose or carefully adjusted.

So if you don't know alot about guitar maintenance you might be better off with a Tele.

I agree with Jimash, And thanks for the info TR. I didnt think the tele neck was much differnt then the strat neck, But hey, ITs a guitar world. As for the tinkering...Personally i like the obtions that the strat gives me to tinker with. Trem springs, Single saddles, three knobs and enough pickup cavity space to instill a hummer or some active EQ's, But none the less...For some young kid New-to-the-guitar-guy who is gunna need to learn how to install basic mantenence, The tele is probally just what the docter ordered.

Originally posted by Ol' Boy Rivers:

I agree with Jimash, And thanks for the info TR. I didnt think the tele neck was much differnt then the strat neck, But hey, ITs a guitar world. As for the tinkering...Personally i like the obtions that the strat gives me to tinker with. Trem springs, Single saddles, three knobs and enough pickup cavity space to instill a hummer or some active EQ's, But none the less...For some young kid New-to-the-guitar-guy who is gunna need to learn how to install basic mantenence, The tele is probally just what the docter ordered.

I never thought about it before, you could set up two different pickgaurds one standard strat, one bucker strat and then just change out the stuff for two really different sounds!

Red, I think they actually make a guitar with a single pickup, But it has some weird cut through the wood that your able to swap out pickups in a matter of minutes ( Stupid idea i think, you loose wood and tone in the process )and have the hummer sound. And yeah. Leo Is a guiness of our time, The Leonardo of guitars, The inovator of music itself!

Red, I think they actually make a guitar with a single pickup, But it has some weird cut through the wood that your able to swap out pickups in a matter of minutes ( Stupid idea i think, you loose wood and tone in the process )and have the hummer sound. And yeah. Leo Is a guiness of our time, The Leonardo of guitars, The inovator of music itself!

I have seen many of those. When you go to a pickup maker to get yer pickup fixed, ya end up seeing the workshop most a da time. :thu:

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

<< But the Tele was the first electric guitar. >>

No, not the first, but it did precede the Strat & the Les Paul.

Scott Fraser

:idea: I'm pretty sure it was the first mass-produced solid body.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

I never thought about it before, you could set up two different pickgaurds one standard strat, one bucker strat and then just change out the stuff for two really different sounds!
I've got a Squier II Strat that I used to do this with. One pickguard set up as a standard Strat, one set up with 2 humbuckers. I put quick connections on the wires, and just had to loosen the strings, unscrew the guard, and swap guards. Took about 5 minutes or less to do. I haven't done it in several years, but it was extremely simple to do. I kinda got to where I just prefer single coils now, so I don't use the buckers anymore.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Wasn't the "Broadcaster" or what ever preceeded the tele the first mass produced solid body?

The strat was supposed to be the like the next generation solidbody and the top of the line till the jazzmaster or jag was then supposed to be the top when Leo went kinda nuts.

The points about the neck being different are important, and the strat "quack" is my favorite thing about the strat (the "between" pickup selector positions) and though you have a between position on the tele it just isn't the same thing.

Teles can be harsh depending on the pickups but that isn't a problem that can't be dealt with.

The low E on a strat sounds different than on a tele to me, I don't know how to describe it, it might be related tot he longer scale length which is also an important difference between the two.

As far as versatility goes, what can be more versatile than a tele? You can use it on everythign a strat can be used on. If the Wammy bar makes it more versatile I buy that angle but as for anything else a tele can fit anywhere musically (it might not look right in the hands of like Slipknot's guitar player) but it can sound right.

I have a tele (well an ASAT with the MFD soap bars) in my lap now and I had a strat most of yesterday. I love them both.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

The Dan Armstrong clear plexiglass guitar (late 60's/early 70's) had this feature. Because the body was clear, it kinda hid the slot that the pickup slid in to install it.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

No. The Broadcaster was the first SUCCESSFUL mass-produced solidbody "Spanish" electric (along with the single-PU Esquire).

Rickenbacker was making solidbody electric steel and Spanish guitars (with bakelite bodies) back in the 30s.

Les Paul invented his solidbody "log" in the 40s.

Paul Bigsby was building solidbody electrics in the late 40s.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Hey Ol boy Rivers, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. As far as I know the broadcaster is the same as the tele but Leo had to change the name because there was a trademark problem with something already called a broadcaster I think.

Hey Gabriel thanks for the clarifications.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Allright, Its time to break out the guitar-bible. Ill reply the TRUE first electric guitar, Followed by the production of the Lespaul and Rickenbacker's stuff.

ALLRIGHT. So the fender Broadcaster ( Or esquire ) Hit the shelfs in 1950. Then came the strat in 1954. Lespaul wasent Out until 1952. ( So that allready breaks fender. ) Rickenbacker...had there first electric out at 1931 ( They started out as a stampind company for metal and plastics. ) Gibsons L-5 though hit the early twentys with its F holes and Floating pickups. Gibson started making instroments in 1894. the F-5 hit in 1922, and gibson died in 1918. SO! I dunno. This is the most acurate book ive got on guitars...Period. So, Yall tell me. I guess yeah, Fender was the first to make the MASS prouduced guitar, But ricken and Gibson came atleast 20 to 30 years ealier. THOUGH leo did operate and own a company that built Amps and PA's before he went on to the guitars. OK, So yeah this one is going to get hairy before the whole string is over.

<>

Yup.

<>

Yup, during the Hawaiin music fad of the period.

<>

Yup, although this was not a production item anybody could purchase.

<>

And yup again. Bigsby also copped the 6 inline tuner/headstock look from the Croatian tamburica folk instruments, which Leo Fender modified & which is now a patended Fender trademark.

Plus there were a number of electric hollowbody jazz instruments, mostly Gibsons, in the 30's & 40's. As far as I know T Bone Walker & Charlie Christian weren't playing Telecasters back then. ;)

So, as I said earlier, the Tele was not the first, although it certainly was a frontrunner & a tribute to Leo Fender's foresight that he got it right on his first attempt at building a solid body guitar.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived