Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update With Guitar (And Help Request!)

A String

Just an update. I was raising my pickup, when it dropped off the screw. I took off the strings and the pickguard. As I was putting it back onto the screw, I noticed the damage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/twocaraboos/outside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/twocaraboos/inside.jpg

As you can see, that piece is cracked right through, the only reason it hasn't fallen off, is the paint and clear coat on the inside. I can wiggle it and if I cracked the paint on the inside, it would come right out.

How important is this piece structurally? Is this something that could cause major problems? Some of you build guitars...any advice?

On a second note, I was wrong, I bought this guitar in 1990 not Jan 89'. The neck has the date written as 11/9/90.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would think it is important in the stability of the neck somewhat. you should be able to glue that back and maybe get short pieces of dowel in there to help.

keep in mind there are lots of makers that don't even have the rear support in neck pockets.

if your neck is tight in the side area than that piece would probably not be a vital in keeping it solid. i do have my doulbts in it being tone robbing. but i am no expert.

It's been like that for over ten years. I had seen the crack before, it's the first time I've taken off then neck and had a look at the full damage.

I would have already broken the piece out and reglued it, but I don't want to mess with the tone. Do I need to use a certain glue? Will glue ruin the tone? Should I just leave it? I wish I knew more about this...

I'm a do it yourself type guy so I would just try gluing it back in. I think that on a bolt on neck you would want as solid a seat as you could get to transfer any vibrations through the body to the neck. It looks like it would be hard to clamp that piece off to glue it, you will have to rig something up. If not take it to a good repair guy and have him work on it.

most of the vibrations are probably going to travel from the connection between the neckheel and the bottom of the neck pocket. i would say the rear of the neck isn't going to pass as much seeing that passage does become "broken" as soon as you hit the pickup routs. but i do think it is important to tuning stability and probably helps keep that neck in place.

for what it is worth, Ritchie Blackmore always glued his necks in and then rebolted them to avoid shifting.

with the right glue it shouldn't hurt the tone. a glue that doesn't become brittle is better from what i read. someone here should know what would do the trick.

Is it possible to drill a small hole parallel to the face of the body and angled from the pickup pocket toward the sides of the guitar to put a very small screw in there along with the glue?
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I don't think that the damage is all that crucial, but I'd actually consider using a syringe to apply a "super glue" of the the type with a thinner consistancy, so that it will wick in deeply, being careful not to get an excess amount that might seep out and make lumps.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived